Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 02:53 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,185,323 times

Advertisements

Awwww... little red x's!

Ronnie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 03:20 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,843,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcload View Post
I too grew up in Garden Villas, 1953 through about 1970, on Alpine street, near the dead end.
I attended GV Elementary, Hartman, Jones, and Ross Sterling.
And yes, I remember the great houses on Ashford, and the community center when it was first built. Heck, I even remember the civil defense horn going off every Friday at noon.

But now, GV is simply surrounded by depression and high-crime. Drive down Alpine now and most of the houses are dumps, maintained by trashy folks who could care less. Too bad.
Same thing happened to the nice houses on MacGregor Drive. And take a drive down Bellfort. Closed up shopping centers and vandalism. I'm not even sure I would risk Glenbrook Valley.

But hopefully it will come back someday....
Coming back can take awhile, especially in a stagnant real estate market, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Historic Hobby neighborhoods see a revival - Houston Chronicle

Old 09-19-2011, 05:13 PM

7,543 posts, read 11,595,886 times
I saw it in the paper to now if Meyerland & Willowbend could just become a historic neighborhood that would be great

Old 04-29-2012, 12:05 PM

2 posts, read 4,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
Nice but too close to Hobby.
Plane noise seems to be an issue only for those who don't live in the the neighborhood. I don't recall it being raised at civic assoc meetings in the 25 years that we have lived here. Hobby is a commuter airport so the traffic pattern there is roughly the same as road traffic, heaviest in the morning and afternoon. It is light at night, during the day and weekends. 95% of the time the planes are landing when they fly over therefore only fractionally as loud compared to takeoff. Also the traffic tends to be erratically spaced unlike a annoying dripping faucet. I believe this is why the noise has been a non-issue even for those who live right under the flightpath. Garden Villas is over 1000 acres the majority is no more effected by noise than many other parts of Houston.

WVK

Old 04-29-2012, 07:18 PM

543 posts, read 1,388,713 times
I looked into this area previously because of the large lot. Finally, settled down for CCISD instead.
Once the kids are done with schools, I might go back there.

Last edited by MNCold; 04-29-2012 at 07:18 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-29-2012, 08:48 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,843,029 times
There are some sections where the plane noise is less than others. I have talked with many that live there and those that live there seem to adjust to the planes no problem. There is an old article from 1988 on Garden Villas in Cite Magazine.

http://citemag.org/wp-content/upload...Fox_Cite20.pdf

Old 04-30-2012, 09:10 AM

2 posts, read 3,801 times
Yep, you're right. I wouldn't think jet noise would be all that noticeable until you were up in the section closest to the airport. One of my friends, John Wise, lived pretty close to the airport. His Dad was principle at Garden Villas Elementary. I recall as a young kid laying on my back, watching clouds and hearing the small putt-putt planes go overhead.....always loved the small plane noise! But if you're going to complain about plane noise, what about the trains alongside Mykawa Road? Man, I've seen some mighty long freight trains go over those tracks....loved standing next to the trains as they went by, even put pennies on the track. I don't know if those tracks are still used. I think they got rid of the crossing on Cayton? Don't remember.

It's really ashame that great neighborhoods like this have to go through a depression era. Put a couple of big BP or Shell office buildings near-by and it will change overnight!

P McLoad

Attached photo of Houston-built Venus cars; these taken at Hobby circa 1954.
Attached Thumbnails
Garden Villas pics-2-venus-hanger.jpg  

Last edited by mcload; 04-30-2012 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: spell

Old 04-30-2012, 10:03 AM

2 posts, read 4,305 times
The RR crossing was eliminated. That and speed bumps greatly reduced cut-thru traffic. The trains no longer blow the horns @ the Airport crossing.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:30 AM

88 posts, read 86,575 times
"Plane noise seems to be an issue only for those who don't live in the the neighborhood. I don't recall it being raised at civic assoc meetings in the 25 years that we have lived here. "

How about jet fumes? I am exploring this neighborhood, but really can't handle fumes.

TIA.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:32 AM

88 posts, read 86,575 times
Default How's the air?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
Telephone @ Airport West of Telephone just south of Sims bayou
Neighborhood is only about 3/4 mile from hobby but the airplane noise is not a problem with all the trees
Nice photos!

Same question as above. Do you notice any fumes from the planes / airport?

TIA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: