Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 04:07 AM

72 posts, read 211,297 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have been a member for a couple of years but I guess I haven't been very active. I am looking to meet people and make friends. My husband and I relocated to Houston a couple of years ago and we still know very few people. I guess I am reaching out to like-minded people out there since it's getting a bit "depressing' for me right now just doing 3 things in life: work, more work and kids!!!
I am African American, a Christian and a full-time working professional. I have 2 small kids under 3 years of age and we live close to the Woodlands.
I have tried to reach out to some neighbors in my sub-division but to be honest it's quite difficult to go past being acquaintances since those with kids are stay at home moms (no offensive intended). I have nothing against stay at home moms and would like to mke friends with open-minded ones who don't turn up their noses on working mothers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2009, 08:35 AM

254 posts, read 464,767 times
Hi LAM. Have you made any friends at your church? Also, may I suggest a meetup group. This is a great way to find like-minded people and make new friends.
I've learned that everyone desires community, it's just hard to find it with our fast paced life styles. These meetup groups are a way to facilitate community! I hope this is somewhat helpful.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:41 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAM1010 View Post
Hi,
I have been a member for a couple of years but I guess I haven't been very active. I am looking to meet people and make friends. My husband and I relocated to Houston a couple of years ago and we still know very few people. I guess I am reaching out to like-minded people out there since it's getting a bit "depressing' for me right now just doing 3 things in life: work, more work and kids!!!
I am African American, a Christian and a full-time working professional. I have 2 small kids under 3 years of age and we live close to the Woodlands.
I have tried to reach out to some neighbors in my sub-division but to be honest it's quite difficult to go past being acquaintances since those with kids are stay at home moms (no offensive intended). I have nothing against stay at home moms and would like to mke friends with open-minded ones who don't turn up their noses on working mothers.
Well that's your problem right there!

Old 05-07-2009, 09:15 AM

72 posts, read 211,297 times
Well, I guess you hav a point there. But I would hope there would be some people who have made the move to the 21st century. Not every woman wants 2 stay at home once she starts having kids. Especially if you have spent 6 to 7 years in college n grad school. If there is no other way out then yes I agree a sacrifice would have 2 b made. But it's plain wrong 2 judge such mothers as lesser beings.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:21 AM

454 posts, read 1,586,326 times
I believe the comment was regarding the "bold" fact that you lived in the Woodlands. Just my guess.

My wife is in the same boat. We moved to Houston 2 years ago, have a 2 1/2 year old son and a newborn on the way. She is also working mother and in grad school, so her plate has been pretty full lately. But I know she tried to join some of the mom boards and such, most are for stay at home moms, but she has found some that are for working mothers, but overall she has been disappointed with them and their networking capabilities. We live in Pearland now, moving to Katy this summer, but since she has been here, her only "friends" are more like casual meets and such. She has made no true friends since she has been here either. Maybe she will begin to meet more people once our children are a little older and into club activities and such. But you may want to look into the local mom meetup boards for the Woodlands and see what you come up with.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:57 AM

61 posts, read 185,833 times
I will be living in Houston by May 18th. We may only have motherhood in common...but that is a lot! I will private messege you. In the meantime...have you tried www.HoustonAreaMommies.com ?? I will be logging on today to check it out.

Kathy

Old 05-07-2009, 11:06 AM

659 posts, read 1,377,078 times
Best of luck. One thing that you mentioned interests me: is there really a bias against working mothers? Seems like it should be the other way around. Based on the small children I know of, it seems that the ones who go to daycare and/ or pre-school are miles ahead of the stay at home children, both socially and intellectually.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:11 AM

I am not judging or defending here....just explaining.

I stay home. I like the term "Housewife" or "Homemaker". I like a more traditional role....that's just me...and believe me...I NEVER thought I would say that. I have no opinion on what others choose for their life....as long as we take care of our kids and love them...we are all good moms. I honestly don't know how working moms do it all. I certainly am not organized enough, nor do I have the energy to do 2 jobs! I have to give it to you ladies who hold down careers in addition to being a mom.

The older we get, the more full our lives become, and it gets more difficult to make really close friends. We are just to busy with our own family and career to truly invest in building a strong relationship with another person. I think just having causal friends is good enough for me at this time, and who knows...even a casual friend becomes a good friend over time.

I think I am just rambling now...must go get coffee.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
Best of luck. One thing that you mentioned interests me: is there really a bias against working mothers? Seems like it should be the other way around. Based on the small children I know of, it seems that the ones who go to daycare and/ or pre-school are miles ahead of the stay at home children, both socially and intellectually.

I am a member at BabyCenter.com and believe me...this is an ongoing debate, and a sure trigger for drama. It is just an emotional topic.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:01 PM

509 posts, read 1,168,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
...Based on the small children I know of, it seems that the ones who go to daycare and/ or pre-school are miles ahead of the stay at home children, both socially and intellectually.
Really? I agree with you on the social part, but as for intellectually I don't know. Having a parent that teaches a child one on one would seem to be a more conducive environment for kids to learn advanced skills early on. I guess it depends on the parent though.

But we digress...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston