Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 12:34 AM

1 posts, read 5,074 times

Advertisements

Hello Im new in town, I am 21 years old and just moved from new jersey. Its a different scenery. Its completely different but i am slowly getting used to the weather and the people.

I find it every interesting that you pump your own gas. I found that out when i bought a car, realize you must have a car in houston.

So far my ways of making friends resorted to Craiglists, which is filled with weirdo and 420 Pot smokers.. which is not my scene...

Been a few meetups on meetup.com but not one really in my age group..

I jus it started working, and again, majority of my co-workers are pot smokers

I do drink socially and waiting for school to start in the fall again, but the 3 months till school starts, its a little hard to make friends and not knowing anyone in town.

Any suggestions to make friends around 18-22? Around sw houston, Rice U, U of H.

I went to a couple bars, but hard just going alone and i feel like a loner when i go.

I've been suggested to join groups and clubs, but not sure where they are...

My interests are Tennis... Ballroom... Gym... Movies... Just casaul hangout

any suggestions? around SW houston, Galleria?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2009, 01:32 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,604,282 times
I guess this means we can't be friends. *cough* Not in any way surprised to hear you're not meeting people in and around Alief who don't blaze, lol

I don't know a whole lot about your immediate area, but yes, you do need a car especially living out near/outside Beltway 8.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:13 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,234,814 times
Identify your hobbies or interests then join a group or club that focuses on those interests. There are numerous special interest clubs in Houston everything from shooting to gardening to stamp collecting. Another way to make friends is to volunteer at someplace that has meaning to you i.e. the museum, zoo, a hospital, or a charity of some sort. Persons that are willing to give of themselves tend to make friends easier.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:43 AM

1,075 posts, read 2,920,158 times
Houston is also home to several mega-churches, which have enormous singles departments; these thrive on "activities". You may or may not find the churches to your liking, but you say you don't like the bars/clubs. I know many couples who started out as singles at Second Baptist's singles department, then left that church as soon as they found each other. There are singles organizations associated with just about every religious creed in town (there are a lot of 'em), and many of them have a gay organization (Dignity, Integrity) if that is your thing.

It couldn't hurt to try.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:32 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,300,402 times
Join a tennis league. That is a certain way to make friends. Maybe they have a summer league thru the school you will attend in the fall.

Old 06-23-2009, 06:57 PM

3 posts, read 20,798 times
I've lived in Houston for about a year now and I am in my 20s and I found the following ways to meet new people. Check out my blog. I just started blogging and thats the topic of one of my blogs.

Shelly in the City (http://shellyinthecity.blogspot.com/ - broken link)

Old 06-25-2009, 01:41 PM

11 posts, read 64,082 times
take dance classes "salsa" great place to meet people, http://www.salsaeddy.com/

Old 06-25-2009, 02:35 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,970,400 times
I'm a loner at the bar I guess. Houston is a city of about 4 million people and half of them are not from here either. I would go to a place like the Gingerman in Rice Village or one of the neighboring bars. Above suggestion on churches is very good idea. Around here churches have active social groups for singles....and as a Presbyterian beer is included in some activities. Midtown is another area with many pub and club options. Rudyards in Montrose may lean more to your arts side, and they have great burgers.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:53 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,840,283 times
Wanna be my friend?

Old 06-25-2009, 03:05 PM

298 posts, read 956,177 times
I would recommend classes for things you enjoy. Check out Leisure Learning, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston