Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 10:15 PM

1 posts, read 16,692 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a single White/Indian male moving to Houston. I am a recent Masters graduate, age 29, well educated, working in a good jmanagement ob in Houston.

I was wondering what the social scene is like in Houston. I don't drink, but enjoy meeting new people. I also dont play too many sports.

I am single, and looking to meet new friends, as well as possibly find a companion.

Can you please tell me if there are any means via which a single guy, non drinker, well educated, living well, can meet new people in Houston?

I will be living in Memorial Drive.

Also, p.s. don't mind me asking, what are the women like here? I am from the North East.

Thanks a lot,
Andrew Mohan McCullan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 11:16 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
I think the best thing you can do once you are settled in is to join up with things that you like to do. If you like biking, join a biking group. If you have a dog, go to the dog park or dog events. The key is to put yourself out there, be polite and relatively outgoing and people will relate!

Good luck!

Old 05-22-2007, 02:06 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,214 times
umm match.com maybe? i found my wife there when i was living in the NYC metro. probably slim pickings over here in houston
i see a lot of nice women here at work (downtown) and I still get hooked up by new acquaintances who thought I was still single. but its definitely a bit more challenging here to get the ball rolling so I agree you have to use the internet to join groups.
as for friends, I never fail to make lots of new friends thru SCCA events

Old 05-22-2007, 11:57 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,679,286 times
Yep, join something! I agree that's the best thing to do. Just pick an interest and jump in. There's so much to do. I know there are tons of events for singles, seems like I see/hear ads, fliers, announcements for them all the time. Churches (if you're religious) and radio stations often host these types of events, so tune in! One that I know of is at the Houston Museum of Natural Science. They host mixers that are pretty popular for meeting people (not just to hook up, but that opportunity is definitely there, too). Just ask for a non-alcoholic cocktail.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:02 AM

84 posts, read 761,212 times
Some of my single friends have joined Sports Monkey in Houston to meet other people while playing volleyball/softball, etc. Also, there is a good social scene near Rice University/Rice village area. The suburbs have more families and less singles than inside the 610 loop.

Old 05-23-2007, 08:11 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,119,214 times
somebody has yet to prove me wrong that the best and easiest way to get hooked up are these 'salsa dance lessons'. you could be as clumsy as can be and be fought over by desperate and not-so desperate single women who want to grab you as their partner. the last time i was in one the women outnumber men by around 5:1 and some guys already brought partners (or not into women)
now, houston-salsa may be a lot more intense that the ones in the NE

Old 08-06-2007, 10:18 AM

268 posts, read 1,488,619 times
Meetup.com has a lot of special interest groups that make it very easy to meet new people - welcome to Houston!

Old 08-06-2007, 10:54 AM

88 posts, read 301,008 times
You will notice a difference in how pleasing to the eyes (and ears) the women are down here. You will be considered 'new meat' to them, so enjoy that part. As for finding friends, try in person at work first. Be as nice as possible, be yourself (which I feel is the most important thing in anything you do socially), and you'll have a pool of friends in time flat down here. Forums, online help and mixers are really nice to have nowadays as well, like mentioned on Wysiwyg's, bmglab's, and houstoner's posts. Try to be open to being down here because the people make it worth while. You will see soon enough! Welcome to Houston, new friend! Cheers!

Old 12-29-2007, 09:24 AM

1 posts, read 16,139 times
Hi, I am also new in Houston from Taiwan, have been here several months. I am still exploring this city to have fun and new friends.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:09 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
One of the best ways to meet people is to find an organization with a cause you truly support and get involved in the volunteer aspect. Whether it is homeless, abuse, literacy, English as a second language, animals, children, disease, funds for social and beautification, etc. - find one you like and you'll find other singles (and some marrieds of course because it is volunteer work) who share your interests.

Oh and in general, Houstonians and Texans in general tend to be very friendly (women included) :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: