Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 08:10 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,833,835 times

Advertisements

Ryland is mediocre at best. But they aren't going under
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2009, 08:16 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,241,382 times
They don't have a bad reputation. However, like most builders, the particular community is only as good as the on-site construction supervisor. Some are great - and those buyers have a great attitude towards Ryland (or whoever). Other supervisors pretty much suck - and those buyers have a totally different attitude. Supervisors should have their jobs evaluated by some sort of customer survey.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:59 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,460,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
They don't have a bad reputation. However, like most builders, the particular community is only as good as the on-site construction supervisor. Some are great - and those buyers have a great attitude towards Ryland (or whoever). Other supervisors pretty much suck - and those buyers have a totally different attitude. Supervisors should have their jobs evaluated by some sort of customer survey.
We don't have a Ryland home but we got a survey on our building supervisor.
I figured this was a standard thing.
Is it not?

Old 12-11-2009, 01:10 PM

2,480 posts, read 7,159,108 times
I am currently building with Ryland in Eagle Springs. We close on our house in a couple of weeks.

I LOVE my building supervisor. He will be getting very high praises from us on his evaluation. He has been prompt, on site every day (because we are every day and always run into to him), keeps us in the loop when something goes wrong or needs to be changed. He is on top of things, and gets pissed off when the subcontractors don't follow his explicit instructions (which we have given him quite an extensive list of explicit instructions of stuff to do). If something is put in backward, or on the wrong side or whatever - our supervisor has it corrected immediately. My husband was there one day when they were putting in cabinets. We had changed the original plans to swap the ends of the kitchen island that included a knee space on one side and shelving on the other. The builders were putting them in per the original plans. My husband asked them if they knew they were supposed to be swapped. Their reply was, "Yes, but we thought that the instructions were wrong. We are supposed to all these houses them same!" We brought it up to our supervisor, and it was corrected within 2-3 days.

We just had a water leak in a guest bathroom because the subcontractor plumber didn't tighten the pipes under the sink properly. The leak happened over the weekend, and was noticed Monday. By yesterday they had everything ripped out, fixed, and replaced and repainted.

We have made several customizations to our home (ceiling design, speaker set up, etc) and everything has been done to our specifications. I have been extremely happy with Ryland so far.

My only major complaint about Ryland was the design center. And I think we just got a bad apple. They had changed vendors the weekend before our initial appt (on a Tuesday). So our design rep didn't have a lot of pricing for the big ticket items (like cabinets, carpet, counters, etc.). She got many of things on our pricing list wrong. We had to go back and forth and make like 40-50 changes that she either made or didn't catch. In the end, we "fired" her and went straight through her manager instead. Things were much better after that.

But our sales rep, building supervisor, and financial dept (we are going through Ryland for the loan) have been outstanding in keeping us informed, and keeping everyone in the loop.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
We don't have a Ryland home but we got a survey on our building supervisor.
I figured this was a standard thing.
Is it not?
Would that it were! Some don't want to hear from you, believe me.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhafer View Post
I am currently building with Ryland in Eagle Springs. We close on our house in a couple of weeks.

I LOVE my building supervisor. He will be getting very high praises from us on his evaluation. He has been prompt, on site every day (because we are every day and always run into to him), keeps us in the loop when something goes wrong or needs to be changed. He is on top of things, and gets pissed off when the subcontractors don't follow his explicit instructions (which we have given him quite an extensive list of explicit instructions of stuff to do). If something is put in backward, or on the wrong side or whatever - our supervisor has it corrected immediately. My husband was there one day when they were putting in cabinets. We had changed the original plans to swap the ends of the kitchen island that included a knee space on one side and shelving on the other. The builders were putting them in per the original plans. My husband asked them if they knew they were supposed to be swapped. Their reply was, "Yes, but we thought that the instructions were wrong. We are supposed to all these houses them same!" We brought it up to our supervisor, and it was corrected within 2-3 days.

We just had a water leak in a guest bathroom because the subcontractor plumber didn't tighten the pipes under the sink properly. The leak happened over the weekend, and was noticed Monday. By yesterday they had everything ripped out, fixed, and replaced and repainted.

We have made several customizations to our home (ceiling design, speaker set up, etc) and everything has been done to our specifications. I have been extremely happy with Ryland so far.
You got one of the good ones - it makes such a difference. I don't understand how the builders don't think it's important.

Old 12-11-2009, 03:47 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,788,282 times
Quote:

I LOVE my building supervisor.........
That's when I stop reading LOL, I'd wait until I've lived in the house for at least a year before I make that statement

Old 12-11-2009, 03:58 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,450,607 times
We have a 5 year old Ryland home in San Antonio. We really liked some of the things that were built into the house and the thought that went into routing pipes and electrical/gas.

The only thing I have to complain about is the echo of cathedral ceilings. Ugh. We can hear everything that goes on upstairs in the gameroom. It's kind of annoying at times.

Old 12-11-2009, 04:07 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,788,282 times
Hey mom2feebs I've notice you haven't been posting on this forum lately, how's everything going in SA?

Old 12-12-2009, 07:10 AM

1,042 posts, read 3,271,739 times
Quote:

My only major complaint about Ryland was the design center. And I think we just got a bad apple. They had changed vendors the weekend before our initial appt (on a Tuesday). So our design rep didn't have a lot of pricing for the big ticket items (like cabinets, carpet, counters, etc.). She got many of things on our pricing list wrong. We had to go back and forth and make like 40-50 changes that she either made or didn't catch. In the end, we "fired" her and went straight through her manager instead. Things were much better after that.

But our sales rep, building supervisor, and financial dept (we are going through Ryland for the loan) have been outstanding in keeping us informed, and keeping everyone in the loop.
How exciting! Hope you get to move in soon! I know you all must be so excited! Will you make it in before Christmas? Happy Holidays!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston