Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 12:41 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,766,831 times

Advertisements

Have you actually lived in Chicago, San Fran and Boston? Grass is always greener as they say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 12:48 PM

243 posts, read 488,732 times
Unfortunately EEStudent, no matter what Houston, Dallas, Phoenix, or Atlanta try to do, they will never be considered "Elite" by the media who creates perceptions about these cities on the East and West coasts. I've said it before and I'll say it again--it's nationally trendy to bash Houston and Texas in general--mostly because of perceptions rather than reality. However, noone should try to be something they are not. Every city has perks and problems. Urban development is a funny thing..most cities want what they don't have. NY, SF, and Boston would kill to have the affordable (and available) real estate that we possess here.

As another poster pointed out, the great thing is that you are free to move to a landscape that pleases you.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:10 PM

182 posts, read 769,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
Seeing as you (OP) live in Sugarland your post makes sense. Sugarland IMO is one of the most wretched places on this planet.
Clearly you have never been to York, Pennsylvania. How anyone can say such a thing about Sugar Land is beyond my comprehension, but hey to each his own. Perhaps you'd prefer a place like Detroit?

Old 12-03-2008, 01:12 PM

756 posts, read 1,886,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWings View Post
Clearly you have never been to York, Pennsylvania. How anyone can say such a thing about Sugar Land is beyond my comprehension, but hey to each his own. Perhaps you'd prefer a place like Detroit?
Can't you just drive a few exits, exit Gessner and accomplish Detroit?

Old 12-03-2008, 01:15 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,756,050 times
Quote:

That & Baghdad.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:20 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,244,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
Its obvious; Houston is not any where near Chicago, San Francisco, or even Dallas(which has a great public transportation system).

Its pathetic really, for the amount of people that live "in" the city and surrounding areas, the fact that we have literally the smallest downtown for the amount of people is embarrassing.
How are you counting "people"? Houston is a city with approx. 2.2 million. Baytown, Sugarland, Katy and Pasadena, etc. are seperate cities. Houston is approximately 639 sq miles in size (could swallow San Francisco 237 sq mi., Chicago at 232 sq mi whole and still have room for New York City or Miami). The point is population density. Houston has a density of about 3800 folks/sq mi while Chicago and San Fran have about 12,000 and 16,000 respectively. You are not clear, are you suggesting that Houston should be more densely populated? I think the fact that Houston is less densely populated is actually more attractive.

Quote:
But there are those suburbanites who just looove Houston! Why? because they come over into montrose,uptown, even midtown; and at the end of the day what do they do... the drive 30-40 mins home in the woodlands; katy; sugar land etc. leaving those areas to be cared for by the people that actually live within "city limits".
Is there something wrong with this? Lots of folks in other cities commute as well. The folks that live "within the city limits" actually benefit from this. BTW aren't you one of those offensive folks who commute into the "city" from Sugarland to go to school?

Quote:
now i have mentioned so many times before that we need a change; we need a better skyline and a more "city" like feel. Places like South Hampton, West U., Kirby houses, bellaire, they need to get it together and realize that the fantasy days need to be over.
What fantasy? It appears the folks who live in those areas are doing quite well and are probably quite happy. What specifically do you find wrong with those areas, you are not very clear in what your objections are.

Quote:
But there are a few who like Houston the way it is; lord knows why; but they do, now I think that all these highrises and apartments that are coming up are great; but there needs to be more commercial areas in between or your going to see a sea of highrises and condo's which will just be the same thing as S. hampton,West U., except they'll have 3-4+ stories instead of 2 stories.
So can I conclude that you like high-rises and condos and the absence of green space? Commercial areas? what do you call the Village and all the shops along Westpark and Buffalo Speedway and Bissonette? [/quote]

Quote:
Another possible hole in this argument is the fact that needs to be addressed is the fact that there are still people moving into houston; its evident just read the other posts HOWEVER if you dig a little deeper you realize that these people are only moving in because
1) Everything is cheaper when compared to where they came from
2) Oil and Gas industry is very lucrative; TMC hires a great deal of people
3) You can live like Hammer on an average Joe income if your willing to drive 10mins. more.
And this is a problem because?

You say you would like an educated argument, but you fail to present comprehensible statements and facts. You have posted an opinion (a not too clear one) and will only recieve opinions in response. Try reposting when you get your thoughts together and can clearly write what you mean and the reasons behind that. Perhaps then you will get the debate you want to generate.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:26 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,756,050 times
I thought SF was more like 40-50 sq miles. Whatever it is, it's very tiny... much smaller than Chicago.

And there is just as much sprawl in those metros as Houston.

Old 12-03-2008, 01:35 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,306,019 times
Why would neighborhoods like WestU, South Hampton and Bellaire need to change. They are wonderful little neighborhoods within the city. Why are 3 story condos better?
Also, we have one of the best, most distinctive skylines of any large city. Dallas doesnt even compare!

Old 12-03-2008, 03:26 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,138,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
I didnt mean to be totalitarian i was just giving my VERY STRONG opinion.

Ok obviously your denying the fact that Houston is vastly different many of the other cities and lacks many amenities (i.e. Chicago, Boston, San Fran, etc.) have;

Besides I don't mean to rant on a pedestal; i just wanted to find out an educated persons opinion on why they like Houston the way it is!

But then again you sensitive types started crying about whats possibly wrong with me rather than coming with an educated statement.
You can back and look where I've personally corrected you about your statements about Houston. Like I've said, you obviously don't know much about Houston. You are the one who is uneducated.

It's not that people who like Houston are happy with the way Houston is, but they like the way its improving. I think you need to list the amenities that you feel Houston is lacking compared so we can educate you. That way you will stop starting these threads and you may even get to know Houston and enjoy yourself.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:36 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,138,894 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
That & Baghdad.
Man you guys are nuts. I grew up in the SW area, the area you are implying is terrible, and loved it. But hey if you don't like crazy diversity (it's actually Baghdad, Mexico City, Nigeria, Philippines, Israel, Vietnam, etc). It does have higher crime, but having some intelligence goes a long way. But like my friend says, "If you scared, go to church."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston