Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,246 times

Advertisements

I'm french and I arrived in Houston this year for at least 3 years as my husband has been transferred here. I was working as Financial Controller at Alcatel-Lucent before coming here. Now I'm looking for a job to keep in touch with the professionnal world. I was wondering where I could teach french, given the fact that I don't have diploma in teaching, but a Business School diploma.
Thank you for your advices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 01:47 PM

156 posts, read 511,392 times
Hi Geraldine. In public schools French is usually only taught at the high school level. You can try private schools, as well as Awty International School, though I am not sure of the qualifications they require. You can also contact the Alliance Francaise - they might have some good information for you. Bonne Chance!

Old 11-12-2008, 04:00 PM

530 posts, read 2,036,805 times
You can always find work as a French teacher, they are hard to find! You don't need a teaching degree, you can get your teaching certification through an alternative certification program since you already have a bachelor's degree (google that, texas alternative teacher certification program). Some examples are:

Texas Teachers | Alternative Teacher Certification Program - Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Fort Worth, Austin, El Paso, Texas
iteachTexas.Com :: Online Alternative Teacher Certification Program in Texas
Online Texas Teacher Certification
Texas Teaching Fellows - Home

But, I think this is the best one (Region 4):
Region 4 Educator Preparation Services

Here is one through Houston ISD, which is a decent program:
Welcome to ACP

Either way, you can become certified as a teacher and your first year of teaching counts as your internship year. You receive full salary, minus the costs of the program.

The high schools always need French teachers. Native speakers are a RARE treat for us, and that would allow you to teach Advanced Placement classes for the advanced French learners. Non-native speakers wouldn't be able to do this as effectively (IMO).

Old 11-12-2008, 07:02 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,735,217 times
Make sure you have the proper visa to work in the US before you apply.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:39 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,498 times
Do you have a Masters degree? I think you can teach at Colleges with a Masters degree and Houston is full of community colleges than need qualified folks teaching.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,246 times
Thank you for your messages. I do have the employment authorization card to work here.
I was more thinking about teaching in a language institute, giving individual lessons to people with already a good level of French (in France I followed English lessons like this). Do such institute exist in Houston ?

Old 12-18-2008, 04:01 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldine feraud View Post
Thank you for your messages. I do have the employment authorization card to work here.
I was more thinking about teaching in a language institute, giving individual lessons to people with already a good level of French (in France I followed English lessons like this). Do such institute exist in Houston ?
I know what you are talking about. I lived in Canada for a year some dozen years ago and they had those language institutes you speak of. I never heard of one here.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:02 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
You might try and find work as a translator -- or work at some of the conversational language schools that teach courses to businessmen and women. There are several here but unfortunately my mind can't think of the names of any of them. If I remember any I'll post them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston