Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 12:22 AM

18 posts, read 41,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific_trader View Post
You can carry certain knives, but I'd advise against it unless you're a trained knife-fighter. And even then, if you're a badass with a blade and you carve up a mugger, you'll get crucified in court. I'd say stun/taser tools, pepperspray, or a licensed firearm. Just train whatever you do, don't expect to be able to get to a pistol in the glove compartment if you're fumbling with your keys.

It's cliche, but awareness is the best weapon. Watch where you are and try to read people and situations around you.
lol they would throw the book at him for carving up a mugger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 07:21 AM

530 posts, read 2,036,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dummy17th View Post
are you saying i can buy a gun and put it in my car?
i thought you can only buy a gun and keep it in your house?
i dont have felony charges..
i am a good abiding citizen in a bad neighborhood.. =(
If you are age 21+, no criminal record, don't have mental problems, and can take the class and pass a proficiency test, then yes, you can keep it in your car or tucked in your belt if you like. CHL = CONCEALED Handgun License. You cannot openly display it you MUST conceal it, either on your person or in your vehicle. It can only be used to protect life and property. There are rules about where you can't take the gun and exactly what is and isn't legal. You will learn those when you take the 8 hour course. If that interests you, find your local gun store and they will help you out.

BTW, in order to own a gun inside your house there is NO permit of any kind required. Just buy it, take it home, ta-da. Welcome to Texas. We value our constitutional rights in this state.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:14 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,407,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
If you are age 21+, no criminal record, don't have mental problems, and can take the class and pass a proficiency test, then yes, you can keep it in your car or tucked in your belt if you like. CHL = CONCEALED Handgun License. You cannot openly display it you MUST conceal it, either on your person or in your vehicle. It can only be used to protect life and property. There are rules about where you can't take the gun and exactly what is and isn't legal. You will learn those when you take the 8 hour course. If that interests you, find your local gun store and they will help you out.

BTW, in order to own a gun inside your house there is NO permit of any kind required. Just buy it, take it home, ta-da. Welcome to Texas. We value our constitutional rights in this state.

And thank God for that. Whomever said awareness is the best defense is off his rocker. Sorry! You can be aware all you want, it's not going to save your a*s if you find yourself up against a wall.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:24 PM

181 posts, read 642,917 times
Awareness is the best defense. A pistol in your purse isn't going to save your skin if you're fumbling with your keys and a 250 lb monster puts his arm around your neck, or a pistol in your bedroom wont help you if you wake up to a dark shadow standing at the foot of your bed, and you've got an automatic with the magazine stored seperately, with a child-lock on the trigger guard. Just like martial arts training wont help if you're drunk and you're sweet-talking the wrong guys girl at a bar, because a bottle across the back of the skull will even the playing field pretty quick. Think about where you are, the people around you, the environment, threat assesments, and how you can get out of there if a problem happens. That way, you're never up against that wall you mentioned.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:39 PM

17 posts, read 61,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
carry 2 wallets
lol

Old 11-10-2008, 03:49 PM

530 posts, read 2,036,976 times
I installed an alarm system on my house, MOSTLY so that it would wake me up if there were an intruder. I sleep like a log, so I made sure the siren is nice and loud. I also never store my guns unloaded. They're ready to use if need-be.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:52 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
I installed an alarm system on my house, MOSTLY so that it would wake me up if there were an intruder. I sleep like a log, so I made sure the siren is nice and loud. I also never store my guns unloaded. They're ready to use if need-be.
Bullet in chamber, in a pistol safe by the bed. Alarm goes off and I punch in 4 buttons and I'm armed.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:23 PM

74 posts, read 291,431 times
These are strange times and bound to get worst. Maybe a move to a higher security complex is the solution. Or, a Pitbull to watch the place when you are gone. I only recommend pistols if you are trained, and really psychologically stable. That said, I shoot expert on a b-17.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:35 PM

395 posts, read 1,011,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dummy17th View Post
my neighbor just got robbed today at my apartment complex..
i am now scared..
is it legal to carry a knife with me for protection ?

Yes of course it's legal.

Where was the robbery? Where is your apartment?

If somebody is robbing you, fighting back with a knife is an incredibly stupid thing to do. It's a false sense of security. Only if somebody is unarmed should you draw a knife.

If you are licensed with a concealed handgun however, it can be adequate **assuming you know how to use it** and not drawing it in dumb situations (such as somebody already drawing a bead on you in which case you do what they say).

Old 11-13-2008, 03:53 PM

17 posts, read 61,663 times
Default 2 wallets

lol, im married, they both would be empty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston