Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:05 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
I'd pay $15 for a movie ticket if no under 21's were allowed in the building.

Those darn kids with their HIP HOP music, electronic gadgetry, and hippie hair. In my day....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 08:03 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Angelika closed. Love the Pavilions - hope it makes it. HOB should make it. Had lunch there - grilled chicken salad - manager comped the meal because I bit into raw chicken - so had a bad first experience but will give it a second chance.
Angelika closed as of when? Still looks open to me and Fandango is selling tickets.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:18 AM

530 posts, read 2,036,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermac34 View Post
Those darn kids with their HIP HOP music, electronic gadgetry, and hippie hair. In my day....

Haha. I'm not kidding, though. That's the most unpleasant part about going to the movies now. I mean, really. "In my day" the movie theater was a family outting, not a place where you drop off your 11-17 year old and leave them for the next 6 hours to be babysat by 16 year old counter staff and 23 year old managers. I used to try to go to the midnight showings when they had them, because the crowds were smaller. I hate that I have to pick unpopular movies just so I can watch them without incessant giggling and kids sneaking in after the movie starts.

Really, for $9 ticket price + $15 refreshments, I figure I should be able to enjoy it.... so I'd pay a couple bucks more to not allow minors in the building. I'm not joking. Someone should do this.

I used to find that the Angelika was a mostly adults theater and it fit the bill, because it wasn't a convenient parent drop-off point. I haven't been there in a while, because frankly, the drive downtown is too much for me these days. I'm in my mid 30's now and I just don't enjoy the "night on the town" as a regular event anymore. If I want to go to the movies, I go there... watch a movie and go home... at a decent hour usually. Old man, yeah, I know.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:23 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,147,363 times
Quote:
Angelika closed. Love the Pavilions - hope it makes it. HOB should make it. Had lunch there - grilled chicken salad - manager comped the meal because I bit into raw chicken - so had a bad first experience but will give it a second chance.

Angelika is NOT closed. I WORK there. Where do you LIVE?

Old 11-04-2008, 10:50 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,956 times
man, that Angelika theatre needs some serious renovation. i watched some foreign films there and its really depressing

Old 11-05-2008, 07:13 AM

530 posts, read 2,036,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
man, that Angelika theatre needs some serious renovation. i watched some foreign films there and its really depressing
Its not even an old building. What needs rennovating?

Old 11-05-2008, 02:49 PM

2,639 posts, read 8,288,426 times
I think their might be some confusion over this theater. The Angelika the poster ws referring to is downtown. I am not sure about the closed depressing one. Maybe that one is somewhere else.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:02 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Angelika is NOT closed. I WORK there. Where do you LIVE?
Sorry about the misinfo - one of my co-workers who lives in midtown just mentioned last week that he was disappointed that it had closed down............he lives so close and is always about town, you'd figure he'd know. Maybe he tried to go during Ike

Old 11-05-2008, 08:06 PM

6,870 posts, read 14,856,591 times
Quote:
Sorry about the misinfo - one of my co-workers who lives in midtown just mentioned last week that he was disappointed that it had closed down............he lives so close and is always about town, you'd figure he'd know. Maybe he tried to go during Ike
the greenway plaza theater is the one that closed. they couldn't compete with the mega edwards theater down the street. i was very sad when it closed but i still have the river oaks theater and the angelika theater downtown to go to.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:11 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
I think their might be some confusion over this theater. The Angelika the poster ws referring to is downtown. I am not sure about the closed depressing one. Maybe that one is somewhere else.
i'm talking about the one downtown near the bayou. its not very appealing to watch movies there, not enough patrons, no big posters, lousy concession stand, and whats up with the ticket booth (nice people tho). the carpet and walls look real dirty too, probably designed to look like that. all of that takes a whole chunk from the movie experience IMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston