Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 07:05 PM

5 posts, read 23,575 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I'm an african american professional young lady who is very, very interested into relocating to Spring, TX. I don't have and I don't know anyone, I mean anyone in TX. I am terrified but excited at the same time about the relocation idea. Can anyone give me a brief idea of what to expect once I get there? any information is better than no information. So please respond.
P.S I will be moving pretty soon. Thank-you mabouya77
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 08:31 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
Default Spring is a nice area.

You will have to let us know where you will be working because that would make a difference for your commute. If you will be working downtown, that would be no problem. Meter's park and ride will get you there (from Spring) within 45 minutes max. I live in Spring and like it very much. It's not too far out and not too close to the inner city. It's also a about fifteen minutes from the Woodlands.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:35 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,134 times
Are you looking to rent or buy? I would recommend staying West of I-45. The nicer parts of Spring tend to be over in 77379 or the Champions area into Klein. Good luck and welcome!

Old 10-02-2008, 04:55 PM

530 posts, read 2,036,648 times
77379 is a horrible drive. Champions, etc, into town is awful. I lived on the East side of Spring (east of I-45) and I could get to downtown in 30 minutes flat by way of the Hardy Toll Road, and the Metro Park n Ride was 5 miles from my house, so during the year when I worked downtown, this was a great thing. 1960 EAST of I-45 is not bad at all. West of I-45 1960 is a mess of redlight after redlight. Cypresswood is worse and Louetta will be just as bad within 5 years.

Did you just pick Spring out of a hat or is there a specific reason for this choice? I lived there for over 7 years and loved it, and for the money, there is NO cheaper place to own a nice home. We sold our house for a piddly 87k and it was a move-in ready 3/2/2. I'd happily continue living there if my in-laws and mom would move closer, grrr!

Old 10-02-2008, 07:34 PM

193 posts, read 842,842 times
The champions area is klein not spring. As for living in Spring dont. It is ghetto there is government housing and people milking off the system in a large portion of Spring. The best advice I could give you is to stay clear of that area. Champions is nice but stay clear of 1960. Alot of weirdo's that come off the bus and are walking around down there. I would look near Louetta area if I were you.

Old 10-03-2008, 03:38 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
Default I disagree.

Spring is not as bad as you claim it to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrashoes View Post
The champions area is klein not spring. As for living in Spring dont. It is ghetto there is government housing and people milking off the system in a large portion of Spring. The best advice I could give you is to stay clear of that area. Champions is nice but stay clear of 1960. Alot of weirdo's that come off the bus and are walking around down there. I would look near Louetta area if I were you.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:00 PM

530 posts, read 2,036,648 times
True, and while the Champions area is in Klein ISD, most still refer to this area as Spring. I owned a house in Spring for 7 years. What's your experience? Hehe.

To be technical, there is NO city of Spring and no city of Klein. They are unincorporated areas, most of which are arbitrarily designated as such by the post office's zip code boundaries. Technically, Spring is ENTIRELY east of I-45, immediately around the Old Town Spring area, and down Aldine-Westfield. The areas on the West side of I-45 got called "Spring" because they are served by a post office ZIP code which uses that name. Real "Spring" is 77373. I have no idea why it was never incorporated into a city.

On the plus side, it has NOT been annexed by Houston. On the minus side, there's nothing to guarantee it won't someday.

-Michael

Old 10-03-2008, 06:11 PM

469 posts, read 1,484,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroTX View Post
77379 is a horrible drive. Champions, etc, into town is awful. I lived on the East side of Spring (east of I-45) and I could get to downtown in 30 minutes flat by way of the Hardy Toll Road, and the Metro Park n Ride was 5 miles from my house, so during the year when I worked downtown, this was a great thing. 1960 EAST of I-45 is not bad at all. West of I-45 1960 is a mess of redlight after redlight. Cypresswood is worse and Louetta will be just as bad within 5 years.

Did you just pick Spring out of a hat or is there a specific reason for this choice? I lived there for over 7 years and loved it, and for the money, there is NO cheaper place to own a nice home. We sold our house for a piddly 87k and it was a move-in ready 3/2/2. I'd happily continue living there if my in-laws and mom would move closer, grrr!

This is very high quality information. The west side of I-45 is over built for the available infrastructure in my opinion. Spring is a nice spot as well as parts of North Humble, Atascocita and Kingwood.

Houston in general is a very cosmopolitian city that is doing a good job at reintroducing life back into downtown. Some people in the suburbs can be a little more redneck than you will see inside the loop but you also have a friendlier atmoshere as well. Hope that helps you out.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:29 PM

58 posts, read 198,356 times
You should look into the Woodlands, it is more upscale. Spring is getting worse, there are more cheap neighborhoods than nice ones and this is attracting the wrong types of people. I think its going downhill, 2920 is becoming the new 1960 which is definatly not a good thing. If you want to live in that area Champions is a good place a friend of mine lives off Spring Cypress by Gleannloch Farms (I may have spelt that wrong) and its a nice area. There are some nicer houses off of Kuykendahl, but more towards the Woodlands not close to 2920.

Old 10-24-2008, 03:42 PM

5 posts, read 23,575 times
i will probably be working for KISD or any other schools around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston