Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 03:43 PM

5 posts, read 23,568 times

Advertisements

i will be renting first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 06:22 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,436,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanf813 View Post
You should look into the Woodlands, it is more upscale. Spring is getting worse, there are more cheap neighborhoods than nice ones and this is attracting the wrong types of people. I think its going downhill, 2920 is becoming the new 1960 which is definatly not a good thing. If you want to live in that area Champions is a good place a friend of mine lives off Spring Cypress by Gleannloch Farms (I may have spelt that wrong) and its a nice area. There are some nicer houses off of Kuykendahl, but more towards the Woodlands not close to 2920.
Well Windrose is on 2920 with about 2,200 high quality homes. 2920 is a nice area, so is Spring-Cypress and Louetta.

My wife commutes into downtown from the Champions area and takes the Kuyukendahl Park and Ride. Takes about 45 minutes.

Old 10-26-2008, 10:12 AM

106 posts, read 376,120 times
Imperial Oaks is a nice, moderately-priced subdivision off Rayford Road on the east side of Spring, closer to The Woodlands. I have friends there and they are always getting together with neighbors and having a good time. The schools their kids are zoned to are good, too, not like some of the others in the Spring area. Check it out if you are looking for housing.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:27 AM

799 posts, read 3,692,574 times
Spring is a nice place to live, Klein(which is an area of Spring ) is the best area of Spring to live in as well as The Woodlands, which is also Spring despite what some might say. Area code 77373, the "real" Spring, has very ncie areas and homes to choose from. I have lived in Spring my entire life, I grew up in 77373, in the neigborhoods off Treaschwig and Aldine Westfield, I attended Spring schools and graduated out of Spring High School. It is not as nice as it use to be but it isn't as bad as some on here are saying. I then moved to Klein area, and my kids went to Klein schools their whole lives and these are excellent schools. I would stay away from anything zoned to Westfield High School, otherwise, your fine.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:43 PM

530 posts, read 2,036,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeAnjel View Post
Spring is a nice place to live, Klein(which is an area of Spring ) is the best area of Spring to live in as well as The Woodlands, which is also Spring despite what some might say. Area code 77373, the "real" Spring, has very ncie areas and homes to choose from. I have lived in Spring my entire life, I grew up in 77373, in the neigborhoods off Treaschwig and Aldine Westfield, I attended Spring schools and graduated out of Spring High School. It is not as nice as it use to be but it isn't as bad as some on here are saying. I then moved to Klein area, and my kids went to Klein schools their whole lives and these are excellent schools. I would stay away from anything zoned to Westfield High School, otherwise, your fine.
Thanks for the reiteration that the real SPRING, TX is 77373... those other areas on the west side of I-45 aren't really Spring (IMO). I lived in Timberlane off Aldine-Westfield and for under 100k you can get a nice house in a very low crime area with good schools. And by "under 100k" I mean you can buy a 3/2/2 house that's not trashed for 90k, ready to move in. It's the absolute cheapest area in all of the Houston metro to buy a house in a safe/decent neighborhood. Not rich people, but real working class people and middle class people with jobs, not welfare checks, and who generally speaking take care of their house/yard, etc.

Just don't go south of Treaschwig, because from there it's Aldine ISD (and accordingly, no longer Spring)

I also looked in neighborhoods like Burnamwood off Treachwig and there are several other very affordable and safe neighborhoods back there. Of course, for most people in this board the only old house that's worth anything is "inner-loop" and anything else has to be a new 4,300sq/ft new builder home. Note to outsiders: you're kinda missing the big picture here... the reason Houston has a reputation for affordable homes is not those new tract builder homes you're buying! It's the extremely reasonable RESALE homes that your pompous selves are overlooking Frankly, price aside, new homes were off my list from day one. I looked at builders 8 years ago and decided I wasn't getting anything more by paying more AND those new homes have no trees. They are the saddest neighborhoods... who wants to live in a treeless neighborhood? Unless it's right next to my 1,000 acre corn field, then my house needs trees... you don't get that in new construction.

-Michael

Old 10-27-2008, 07:36 PM

799 posts, read 3,692,574 times
I actually grew up in Birnam Woods, and lived in Postwood and Fairfax for awhile. I just recently sold a house in Greengate with a pool that my buyers got at a great price.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:33 AM

684 posts, read 2,109,385 times
what about the area south of bammel (fm1960) west of 45, but if you divided the difference between 1960 and beltway 8, you would be in the northern 3rd??
Thanks

Old 10-28-2008, 09:19 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,153,335 times
Wow, I grew up in Birnam Woods as well. Our street was getting kind of bad by the time I graduated high school, so my parents moved to Cypresswood.

Cypresswood is nice and affordable.

Old 11-12-2008, 09:38 AM

5 posts, read 23,568 times
I'm looking to rent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston