Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 11:42 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times

Advertisements

Has anyone switched from Comcast to ATT Uverse? If so, pros and cons of ATT Uverse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 01:38 PM

192 posts, read 504,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Has anyone switched from Comcast to ATT Uverse? If so, pros and cons of ATT Uverse?

i'm also interested in this.

i've been hopelessly unsatisfied by comcast's service; however, ATT Uverse is not yet offered in my area. i'll be one of the first to jump onboard once it does.

edit. i'll answer one thing, though. ATT pro: stellar customer service.
their prices for comparable cable & internet are relatively the same as far as i can tell.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:02 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
We have made the switch "on paper" was supposed to be set up last week of course Ike has delayed that so not sure when it will happen.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:02 PM

29 posts, read 126,583 times
I will switch out from Comcast to ATT the day it's available for my apartment. Comcast is a terrible company. Their equipment and most importantly customer service is unacceptable. Prices are higher also. I think ATT would do very well here if they expanded their service within Houston. I have heard many others complain about Comcast.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:08 PM

874 posts, read 2,894,268 times
We have U Verse. I'm in San Antonio, so can't compare it to Comcast, but we are enjoying U Verse... You can record up to 4 shows at once on the DVR (we got 1 free DVR and receiver with our service; $5 a month for each extra receiver - not sure how much more for extra DVRs as we did not need another one). You can also go the U Verse website and record shows from the site (in case you are stuck at work late and forgot to set up the recording beforehand). The movie channels offer On Demand - free movies different than those on the regular lineup that you can watch anytime and pause/stop just like a DVD. Not sure if Comcast offers this stuff or not.

We have internet through them as well and it is quite speedy.

The guy who did the installation was great - answered questions and showed how to use the different features. He actually seemed very excited by the product rather than just someone doing his job. I'm sure not all of the installers are like this, but he did a really good job.

Old 09-20-2008, 06:39 PM

1,148 posts, read 3,557,855 times
ATT Uverse is available in our area and we did the paperwork to make the switch several months ago. When they came to set it up (install) the techs they sent were overwhelmed by our set up. We have surround sound throughout the house and a media room. They said that it was too complicated and didn't have the training to do my set-up. So I had to cancel the install and go back to cr@pcast. It was a huge disappointment. Make sure you don't have a complicated set-up; apparently they cannot accommodate that.

Old 09-20-2008, 07:32 PM

69 posts, read 239,831 times
Well we have Direct Tv. We had Att for 2 wks because we were just use to recording in every room of the house with out worrying someone else will not lose their show. With ATT you can record up to 4 but if you have more than one t.v. this can & will if you are like us ... someone watching something different in every room in the house. 4 strands one show/movie per strand. If you want to record 3 things the others should be watching those or all watching the same on the one that is open. We kept our Direct Tv in case we were not happy & we weren't. We will wait until they have a DVR for more rooms. We did like that the movies on like HBO, Showtime did not start until you wanted to watch them. No waiting to see when they would show again. Good luck wit your choice.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:07 AM

70 posts, read 340,528 times
We are currently moving from one home in Katy to another one not too far away and I called ATT.......Uverse not available in my area.

Shucks. I wanted ATT Uverse too. Oh well. I gave them my contact info so they can let me know when it arrives in my new area.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:46 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
I tried when they said it was available in my area. They came out to install and found I was about 200 ft too far from the box. I will try again in a few months when they extend it.

Old 09-22-2008, 08:55 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,828,505 times
I agree that Comcast is a terrible company but AT&T doesn't exactly have a stellar reputation, either. For work I just went to a conference on "best management practices" and customer service and AT&T was used in a case study about what NOT to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston