Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 05:45 PM

15 posts, read 37,710 times

Advertisements

I am moving to New Territory in Sugar Land, and need advice from current residents regarding which broadband internet access I should get. From the research I have done, it looks like my only two choices are DSL from Windstream, and Cable Broadband from Comcast.

Is this true? Are there any other broadband options in New Territory?

From what I can tell from websites, Verizon Fios and AT&T DSL are not available to me at this location.

So, what good and bad things can you tell me about Windstream DSL and Comcast Cable broadband in New Territory? (Or about any other options which may exist...)

By the way, I plan to get DISH network satellite TV service, because I need the Taiwanese/Chinese channels for my mother-in-law. I mention this because it means I will not be using cable TV, so, if I do get Comcast Broadband it will cost the full $54.95 per month (since it is not bundled with phone and cable TV).

Thanks,

Jon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 09:41 AM

182 posts, read 768,885 times
Actually, Comcast internet is $60 now. It works fine, no complaints, save the exorbinate cost of it without Cable TV. If there was a better option available I'd drop Comcast like a bad habit. I'm very skeptical of Windstream since they provide me NO technical information on their website. (I assumed it was DSL but I couldn't even find that much out) Comcast is a terrible, terrible company here and you are way better off with satellite TV. (I have Directv, but Dish is probably about the same)

Anyway, welcome to the neighborhood. I'm sure you'll love it here, especially once spring comes and the plants start sprouting again.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:49 PM

82 posts, read 280,272 times
Arrow Dish TV

Does anyone out there know how much a month it is?

Thanks

Old 04-11-2008, 07:54 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,741,755 times
Comcast is the devil.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:56 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,636,777 times
DISH Network -- High Speed Internet

Old 04-11-2008, 08:57 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,831,614 times
We live in New Territory. Because we had positive experiences with Comcast in two previous states, we foolishly expected the same here. We have had horrendous technical and customer service, somewhat mitigated by quality control folks from Comcast who tried to fix what the terrible installer had done incorrectly.

I'd go with another option if a good one exists, although now I think I'm locked into some awful Comcast contract.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:02 PM

182 posts, read 768,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
Hmm... This doesn't seem like a particularly good deal. $50 (plus taxes, to be sure) for the basic level which is pretty darn slow compared to cable internet.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:22 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,636,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverWings View Post
Hmm... This doesn't seem like a particularly good deal. $50 (plus taxes, to be sure) for the basic level which is pretty darn slow compared to cable internet.
Nope, didn't say it was a deal nor did I compare it to cable speeds...I simply posted a link. Keep in mind we have a ton of peeps that view these forums without posting and for some this may be the only alternative they have to move away from dial up. Throwing options on the table is always a good thing.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:26 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,571,630 times
I don't know, but I haven't had so many problems with Comcast here. 100mbps on the cable modem and 11mbps on the wireless router. I can definitely live with that. My computer problems arise not so much from Comcast but from the fact that Microsoft sucks and Vista sucks, and that anything connected to Vista will lag at times (even 100mbps connections, just because Vista probably hogs a good gig or so of RAM just on startup).

I don't watch cable very often. It's boring to stare at a wire sticking out of the wall.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:51 AM

759 posts, read 3,185,483 times
the actual connection from Comcast is going to be 5-8mbps. 100mbps is the router's speed. The fastest you can get in Houston from an ISP under $100/month is 20mbps from Entouch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
I don't know, but I haven't had so many problems with Comcast here. 100mbps on the cable modem and 11mbps on the wireless router. I can definitely live with that. My computer problems arise not so much from Comcast but from the fact that Microsoft sucks and Vista sucks, and that anything connected to Vista will lag at times (even 100mbps connections, just because Vista probably hogs a good gig or so of RAM just on startup).

I don't watch cable very often. It's boring to stare at a wire sticking out of the wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: