Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 07:59 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,950,153 times

Advertisements

I stand corrected, thanks for the info! I was pulled over in Dallas recently in a rental car (for doing 27 in a 25 zone in an uppity neighborhood) and had my license in the trunk. I was amazed how quickly the officer was able to pull up my PA license based on just my name. I couldn't even figure out how to put the window down in the car, but I knew better than to swing the door open on a cop! I explained the situation and he sent me on my way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 08:39 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,520,931 times
DH and I hit the DMV in Webster.....walked right in...no line, no hassel! Had our licenses to us via mail in less than 2 weeks. Same for registering the cars.....Hit the courthouse in ClearLake off of Bay Area BLVD...dam if I can remember the name of the street...but again, no problems and had just 2 or 3 people in front of me. I must be living right!

Old 09-24-2008, 07:24 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,763,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyz310 View Post
Ok, I am more and more turned off, hearing these stories. I know u are supposed to get a license within 30 days, but I couldn't find any info on what happens if you don't.

So, does anyone know what actually happens if you don't get a new license? My "other state" license is still valid until 2012. By then I am probably relocated elsewhere anyway.... If police stops me with my old, but still valid, license does anything happen?

Thanks!
I know how to escape the gauntlet if you get pulled over. When coppers see an out of state plate and if they pull you over, they will ask you in a trick way. They might say something like how long ya been in Texas? You might innocently instinctivly say about 6 weeks. Then he might ask where ya livin? You might innocently instinctivly say a Texas address.

You have just been had.......

No matter how long you been there, just say you are just visiting for a couple weeks.

You have to register in 30 days after moving no matter what state you relocated but sometimes things are hectic and the registration nightmare sometimes gets tossed to the back burner.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:06 PM

11 posts, read 23,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ourlongfamily View Post
Is Texas the only state that gives you PAPER license until your new one arrives in the mail? We found that to be hilarious. Why do they do that? My husband and I have had license in 4 different states, and never a PAPER one until Texas!
CA gives you a paper one until your new one arrives in the mail (about 2-3 weeks later) as well. However, unlike TX and NY, CA doesn't confiscate your former licenses when they issue you a new one. They just punch a hole in the expiration date to show that it is a void license. After reading the stories here, I'm terrified that my new license won't arrive and I'll be left with NO license. I just realized that I'm posting very late but I just arrived in TX and saw this thread.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:11 PM

7,555 posts, read 11,624,368 times
My mom wanted a new picture taken it took 3 1/2 months to get her new license in the mail she just go it about 7 weeks ago

I got a passport last yr only took 10 days to get it

Old 08-17-2009, 03:23 PM

809 posts, read 3,578,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purenerd View Post
CA gives you a paper one until your new one arrives in the mail (about 2-3 weeks later) as well. However, unlike TX and NY, CA doesn't confiscate your former licenses when they issue you a new one. They just punch a hole in the expiration date to show that it is a void license. After reading the stories here, I'm terrified that my new license won't arrive and I'll be left with NO license. I just realized that I'm posting very late but I just arrived in TX and saw this thread.
As long as you have the paper one, you'll be fine to drive. If you're worried about having a picture ID, do you have a passport you can use? Or a student id? Any id with your picture along with the paper license should work in most cases when needing I.D.

Old 08-17-2009, 03:27 PM

11 posts, read 23,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post
As long as you have the paper one, you'll be fine to drive. If you're worried about having a picture ID, do you have a passport you can use? Or a student id? Any id with your picture along with the paper license should work in most cases when needing I.D.
Yes, fortunately I have both - I'll be carrying a veritable arsenal of identification for the next few weeks, haha.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:23 PM

38 posts, read 137,726 times
I have a daughter that wants to get her license & has to take the driving test! Wow thats not fun!!! They want you to arrive 2 hrs before the office actually opens & wait outside until they open!!! If you arrive only one hr before they open they will not allow you to test! This is the Katy office! Anybody have any suggestions on where to take the actual driving test where you don't have to sit in the dark outside & wait for 2 hrs before they open only to wait another 4-5 hrs to actually get to the point where you can take the driving test????!!!! Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Old 08-18-2009, 02:56 PM

912 posts, read 2,563,540 times
I can't help with advice but what I can tell you is that the 1hr comment about Katy is a crock of bull.

What is true is that they only have a certain number of test slots and if they are full for that day then you won't get one however long you have waited.

What matters is how many people are in the queue before you who want to take a driving test that day.

You might be lucky and get there 1hr before opening and get a slot, hell you might even turn up in the afternoon like my wife did and get a test there and then although I think that's unusual.

Perhaps what the 'nice' folk at the Katy office meant was that you need to turn up well before opening hours in order to guarantee a test place and in saying that they would be correct.

Just get up early, have a nice comfy folding chair, take some drinks, a good book and enjoy some nice quiet time in the line would be my advice. I think Katy is a good place to do your test assuming you can

a. parallel park - which to my amusement many of the Americans taking the test didn't seem capable of, I reversed in one fluid movement and was inch perfect from the kerb about 4 seconds later

b.deal with railroad crossings and 4 way stops. The test route they use features all of these and they like to keep crossing them.

Just my observations as a first time Katy driving test passee with ZERO minor faults and a comment from the examiner that 'you people from Europe seem to be very good drivers.......'

Old 08-20-2009, 05:09 PM

711 posts, read 1,861,243 times
<i>Perhaps what the 'nice' folk at the Katy office meant was that you need to turn up well before opening hours in order to guarantee a test place and in saying that they would be correct.</i>

What's up with that? Haven't they heard of such advanced concepts as appointments?

Why mail DLs? In many states they'll print and laminate your license right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston