Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 01:18 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,124,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Your correct. I go for walks with my daughters around the nearby lake, play some occasional yard-ball & red-rover with them, I go camping with my family which includes some hiking. I average about 1,000-1,500 miles a year on my road bike and mountain bike. I take care of my own yard (1/3 acre) and just got done repainting the entire house by myself. So yes, after doing all that I become a coach potato and watch some ball.
BAHAHAHAHA (can you believe this guy) you shouldnt brag about crap like that to ones living in houston. "After doing ALL THAT" LOL why dont you throw in museums, library and reading under a shade in there. You pretty much described the Houston "laidback lifestyle" and the "outdoor activity" for homeowners here. I have that and looking for a bit more, silly

Quote:
actually researching where to live in Houston Area so I can continue to enjoy these activities and perhaps add some new ones.
yes you are very ACTIVE. you can only research so much. even with the help of this forum there are somethings you'll come to realize after the move. after the successful, masta planned move.

Quote:
If I wanted to snow ski, mountain climb without a big drive I certainly would not move to Houston. Kinda like moving to Chicago and complaining about not being able to sun tan in January without turning blue.
again, youre being stupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 03:21 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,276,236 times
Quote:
BAHAHAHAHA (can you believe this guy) you shouldnt brag about crap like that to ones living in houston. "After doing ALL THAT" LOL why dont you throw in museums, library and reading under a shade in there. You pretty much described the Houston "laidback lifestyle" and the "outdoor activity" for homeowners here. I have that and looking for a bit more, silly
Sorry, should have said that I don't do that all in one day. So if you are looking for more, what kept you from knowing ahead of time, that Houston might not have cliffs and mountains and skiing for you??
Quote:
yes you are very ACTIVE. you can only research so much. even with the help of this forum there are somethings you'll come to realize after the move. after the successful, masta planned move.
I have already visited and will visit 1-2 more times before moving. You're right, you cannot move without visiting. One of the visits will be for 2-3 weeks to try and "live" in the 2 areas we like. I know it won't be perfect-that's life. I keep asking why you moved to Houston to find out what went wrong with your research b4 moving. Did your favorite activities change? Not enough variety? Being more detailed about what keeps you here and brought you here would be a lot more useful than kvetching about how bad the area is. I mean, you had to know there were no mountains and that your extreme sports may be hard to find.
Quote:
again, youre being stupid.
Perhaps. But I have spent much time contacting bicycling clubs, bicycle shops, asking questions on this forum regarding bicycling in the area to see if it will fit my current preferences or if I will need to make changes. I will also bring one of my bikes and do some group rides and find some places to do solo rides to make sure these preferred activities of mine, will work here. Did you research your preffered activities b4 moving or assume they would be there?
Again, for the 3rd time, I am asking why you moved here. Not to be mean, but to see what happened between your expectations and your current reality. Trying to see if there is something to be learned from your experience that, perhaps, we can use in determining if this area will be a good fit for us. But if you prefer to just complain for complaining's sake,and want to call me stupid, that's OK. We Midwesterner's are a polite folk and I have broad shoulders.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:19 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,747,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikku View Post
Midtown around dusk on any given day will have a lot of people hanging out. Montrose during the weekends. Be prepared to be hot and sticky.
Where exactly is Midtown? Maybe street names? My hotel is on the north side of the Southwest freeway, between Kirby and Buffalo. Is that a good area?

Since I'm well aware of Houston's summer weather, I promise not to complain about it while I'm there. Thanks for the tips.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:03 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,581,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Where exactly is Midtown?
Bounded by Bagby to the west, I-45 (Pierce Elevated) to the north and east, US-59 (Southwest Freeway) to the south and east. Directly southwest of the "circle" that I-45, I-10 and US-59 make on the map that generally marks "downtown," although I would describe the true CBD to be bounded by roughly Main on the east, St. Joseph (it's still Calhoun to the oldtimers) on the south, I-45 on the west and roughly Franklin to the north. However, that whole area enclosed by freeways is known to people here as downtown.

Quote:
Since I'm well aware of Houston's summer weather, I promise not to complain about it while I'm there. Thanks for the tips.
You'll complain about it at some point, if not online. It really gets old at times for anyone, but so does scraping ice off one's windshield 5-6 months of the year. The more you brave it the more used to it you'll get.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:51 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,747,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Bounded by Bagby to the west, I-45 (Pierce Elevated) to the north and east, US-59 (Southwest Freeway) to the south and east. Directly southwest of the "circle" that I-45, I-10 and US-59 make on the map that generally marks "downtown," although I would describe the true CBD to be bounded by roughly Main on the east, St. Joseph (it's still Calhoun to the oldtimers) on the south, I-45 on the west and roughly Franklin to the north. However, that whole area enclosed by freeways is known to people here as downtown.

You'll complain about it at some point, if not online. It really gets old at times for anyone, but so does scraping ice off one's windshield 5-6 months of the year. The more you brave it the more used to it you'll get.
Thanks for all of that!!

Old 06-22-2008, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Sorry, should have said that I don't do that all in one day. So if you are looking for more, what kept you from knowing ahead of time, that Houston might not have cliffs and mountains and skiing for you??

I have already visited and will visit 1-2 more times before moving. You're right, you cannot move without visiting. One of the visits will be for 2-3 weeks to try and "live" in the 2 areas we like. I know it won't be perfect-that's life. I keep asking why you moved to Houston to find out what went wrong with your research b4 moving. Did your favorite activities change? Not enough variety? Being more detailed about what keeps you here and brought you here would be a lot more useful than kvetching about how bad the area is. I mean, you had to know there were no mountains and that your extreme sports may be hard to find.

Perhaps. But I have spent much time contacting bicycling clubs, bicycle shops, asking questions on this forum regarding bicycling in the area to see if it will fit my current preferences or if I will need to make changes. I will also bring one of my bikes and do some group rides and find some places to do solo rides to make sure these preferred activities of mine, will work here. Did you research your preffered activities b4 moving or assume they would be there?
Again, for the 3rd time, I am asking why you moved here. Not to be mean, but to see what happened between your expectations and your current reality. Trying to see if there is something to be learned from your experience that, perhaps, we can use in determining if this area will be a good fit for us. But if you prefer to just complain for complaining's sake,and want to call me stupid, that's OK. We Midwesterner's are a polite folk and I have broad shoulders.
sir/ma'am,
i did not call you stupid, i said you were being stupid. big difference there, and more of that kind of difference in what we are talking about. of course I know there is no snowsports here so I rode as much as i can before i moved. i did bring my snow gear just in case i know there is (auto)racing here although i didnt know its about 1:25 in frequency compared to the NE. no biggie. more time in the garage and house stuff(new hobby).
off i went knowing I will be moving to a major city, still in the US of A, lots of good schools and predominantly white(people). statistically that should be enough. see, ingenius white people, when they get bored cool activities get invented. no showoff moneymaking kind of activities, just joy trips or joy rides. depending on the location white people did hiking, kayaking, whitewater rafting, downhill biking, snowboarding, mountainboarding, sandsurfing, kitesurfing, basejumping, bullriding and all sorts of crazy legit innovations for the new age thrillseekers. bored white folks here has to have something. i guess i was wrong or maybe i just have not found them yet.
I hope i dont have to explain why I wont take on regular bicycling activities. thats your thing, not exactly adrenalin pumping.
I also made a wrong generalization that all great cities are built in proximity of a natural beauty or natural resources. i forgot that cowboys will prop a tent anywhere in nowhere country

so youre moving from there to houston. that may be like moving from the US to a third world country for your young children(assuming you have them). well lets just hope you dont have those type of kids that are into big bad city stuff like arts, music, technology, nature, or real cool things to do and real cool experiences to acquire. kids (some adults) i spoke to here are shocked to know we moved from NYC and ask "why?". one said "why?? theres nothing to do here". crap. a couple of older folks i know are now moving out of houston to help their children settle into cities like NYC and chicago. I think they feel guilty for taking away the headstart from their children anyway, they bad mouth houston now, i guess its natural for people to justify their move in and out of cities.

hey goodluck to you. may your children forgive you or atleast give you peace.

Old 06-22-2008, 11:41 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,276,236 times
Wizzy,
If it's any consolation, you need to go WAY out of Chicago proper to do what you described. Into NW, IL, WI or MI. Isn't it the same as NYC, you need to head out? Wouldn't it be nice to live somewhere where you hop a bus and 30 minutes later your in the middle of a Bush Beer commercial? It's a drag to have to drive 2+ hours in Chi area for decent camping. Aside from the dreary winters, the Pacific NW is cool like that. If Houston beckons, I look forward to weekend trips to Hill Country and into the Piney Woods. Definitely not extreme, but at least into some nature and away from the crowds.

Old 06-22-2008, 12:05 PM

410 posts, read 1,683,259 times
Quote:
Wizzy,
If it's any consolation, you need to go WAY out of Chicago proper to do what you described. Into NW, IL, WI or MI. Isn't it the same as NYC, you need to head out? Wouldn't it be nice to live somewhere where you hop a bus and 30 minutes later your in the middle of a Bush Beer commercial? It's a drag to have to drive 2+ hours in Chi area for decent camping. Aside from the dreary winters, the Pacific NW is cool like that. If Houston beckons, I look forward to weekend trips to Hill Country and into the Piney Woods. Definitely not extreme, but at least into some nature and away from the crowds.
Cub...add to your list Garner State Park...it's great fun! See snow cones, cotton candy, cokes, hot dogs, candy . The water is clean and cool for tubing & hiking is scenic. Weekend traffic (day sites) is bad but... durning the week it thins out a bit. Best to make reservations a year in advance to assure a camp site. Sunny

Old 06-22-2008, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Wizzy,
as i posted a while back, there is usually little parks that cater to the bored white man. they have the gear, the trainors, and food. whatever a weekend adventurer needs. usually. its a millions of dollars industry. in NYC theyre 45mins to 2hrs, well worth it for a day trip, heal your wounds on sunday. people go up to vermont if they want a weekend trip (during any of the 4 seasons)

here's one 1hr from chicago (they also have non winter stuff)
Snowboarding Terrain Parks Trail Maps - Raging Buffalo Snowboarding - Snowboard Park -Terrain Park - Algonquin, IL
see, they should be just "under our noses". no i'm not talking about big mountains, just a park you can try to master will do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston