Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 08:27 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Was that the troop of scouts that jumped off a cliff a couple decades ago?
some of us still jump off cliffs today. well, not me... because Houston doesnt have firkin cliffs! "NNNOOOO! I SHOULD HAVE DONE MY RESEARCH!!!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 08:31 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
some of us still jump off cliffs today. well, not me... because Houston doesnt have firkin cliffs! "NNNOOOO! I SHOULD HAVE DONE MY RESEARCH!!!"
You could climb to the top of the Wells Fargo tower downtown and jump. Pretend it's a cliff.

Old 06-20-2008, 08:32 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,266,813 times
Hey,
When I move from Chicago, can I whine about Houston not being on lake Michcigan? Or not having extensive Forest Preserves with hundreds of miles of paved bike trails? Or not having snow during the winter? Or not having Wrigley Field? Or how hot&humid the summers are?
Tell me again, Wizzy, why you moved to Houston since you apparently knew it would not offer ANYTHING you like to do for outside recreation??

Old 06-20-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
Hey,
When I move from Chicago, can I whine about Houston not being on lake Michcigan? Or not having extensive Forest Preserves with hundreds of miles of paved bike trails? Or not having snow during the winter? Or not having Wrigley Field? Or how hot&humid the summers are?
thats just stupid, dont you think?
but seriously, go play some SIM games like SIMHotel or SIMCity. There's always a plan or design to everything or else it will fail completely or you'll just have to live with pissed off patrons

"what everyone needs is something to love. If you can’t give them that, give them something to hope for. If you can’t do that, give them something to do.”

Quote:
Tell me again, Wizzy, why you moved to Houston since you apparently knew it would not offer ANYTHING you like to do for outside recreation??
I did not know that. I always thought a city would die/dry up from its center if there is not enough entertainment for the modern young at heart risk taker. looking at houston, it seems to have stopped offering fun for 14yo and over. I think they expect you to be doing farm chores by that age or something

Old 06-20-2008, 09:23 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
You could climb to the top of the Wells Fargo tower downtown and jump. Pretend it's a cliff.

My vote goes to either of the ship channel bridges.

Old 06-20-2008, 09:42 AM

Again, why did you move to Houston?
Quote:
I always thought a city would die/dry up from its center if there is not enough entertainment for the modern young at heart risk taker.
Yeah, I love the sky-diving off the Sear's Tower. The Snow boarding off The Hancock Buiding is pretty narly also. I hear that NYC will offer extreme sports as well. The solo walk through Central Park at 3AM with copious amounts of expensive gold/rolexes showing should be intense (no offense to NY'ers just having fun with stereotyping) Is your scope of preffered activities too narrow? Or perhaps Houston doesn't have the mountains needed for your preffered activites? Dang, I thought hill country was within walking distance while researching the area pre-move.

Old 06-20-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Is your scope of preffered activities too narrow? Or perhaps Houston doesn't have the mountains needed for your preffered activites? Dang, I thought hill country was within walking distance while researching the area pre-move.
umm youre named "cubssoxfan", that instantly puts you in the spectator/bookworm type of 'activities' in my book so please just let me skip by you. I'm sure you find lots of things to do, while some of us are looking for things 'TO-DO'. you will never get it if other peoples batting average is information to you. so nevermind
you'll fit in in houston. congratulations.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:13 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post

Ok, thank you for my first big giggle of the day.

Old 06-20-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Ok, thank you for my first big giggle of the day.
you know if its legal and someone is up there running a rental shop or taking pictures then people will come and jump. thats got to be +1000 life points.

"hows your weekend?"
"well, I DID Wells Fargo finally."

Old 06-20-2008, 12:54 PM

Quote:
umm youre named "cubssoxfan", that instantly puts you in the spectator/bookworm type of 'activities' in my book so please just let me skip by you.
Your correct. I go for walks with my daughters around the nearby lake, play some occasional yard-ball & red-rover with them, I go camping with my family which includes some hiking. I average about 1,000-1,500 miles a year on my road bike and mountain bike. I take care of my own yard (1/3 acre) and just got done repainting the entire house by myself. So yes, after doing all that I become a coach potato and watch some ball. And, perhaps unlike you, I am actually researching where to live in Houston Area so I can continue to enjoy these activities and perhaps add some new ones. If I wanted to snow ski, mountain climb without a big drive I certainly would not move to Houston. Kinda like moving to Chicago and complaining about not being able to sun tan in January without turning blue.
Again, why did you move to Houston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston