Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 08:29 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,178,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Here is a current example of why I would give Shadyside the best "if money were no object" slot
Shhhh, modster! Let's keep Shadyside secret and let the hordes continue to think that River Oaks is the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 10:02 AM

13 posts, read 51,583 times
Re favourite areas of Houston-
Thanks so much to all of you who replied! My family and I are from Canada and are moving to Houston in June. My husband will be heading out next week. We were origionally slated to go to OKC. I did tons of research on it and found exactly the neighbourhood we wanted, thanks to the folks of oklahoma and the city data site there. .. Then found out we weren't going. I am elated to have so much info from all of you on Houston. We did live here in the suburbs for many years and it was great for us. Now that our children are teens, we want to live in the center of things and soak up as much of the culture as we can- and it's great to hear that this is possible, even in such a large city as Houston. So, now I'll be checking out all the neighbourhoods recommended. Our sons are 14, 17 and 19 and the two younger ones will be in grades 9 and 12. We are looking for a smaller school that focuses more on the arts and social emotional learning versus strictly marks and achievement. If any of you know of any in the center of town, I would love to hear about it. Having said that, I haven't checked out any other threads yet. I am ecstatic that we will soon be surrounded by water as we have been living in the beautiful but pretty well landlocked province of Alberta for many years. Thanks again
Pinkie M

Old 01-07-2009, 10:33 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,342,561 times
My favorite place to be in Houston is inside. In my house, inside any of the malls or stores. Not a big fan of outdoor Houston unless for some reason I have to go to "Texas Medical City". TMC is Houston's most put together and impressive area within the loop, I could walk around there all day. The only other exception would probably be Kingwood.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...s-12-06-a.html

Old 01-07-2009, 01:24 PM

1,288 posts, read 4,938,024 times
I love Katy, specifically Cinco Ranch, because it is so well maintained and so family friendly. Tons of activities and resources around for our small children, and just a short drive away from the Museum District, which we ventured into three times last week when my family was here from out of town. Our neighborhood is absolutely delightful, it's the people that make it so but I guess it attracts a certain type of people...young families!

Old 01-07-2009, 08:57 PM

332 posts, read 1,323,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie M View Post
Re favourite areas of Houston-
Thanks so much to all of you who replied! My family and I are from Canada and are moving to Houston in June. My husband will be heading out next week. We were origionally slated to go to OKC. I did tons of research on it and found exactly the neighbourhood we wanted, thanks to the folks of oklahoma and the city data site there. .. Then found out we weren't going. I am elated to have so much info from all of you on Houston. We did live here in the suburbs for many years and it was great for us. Now that our children are teens, we want to live in the center of things and soak up as much of the culture as we can- and it's great to hear that this is possible, even in such a large city as Houston. So, now I'll be checking out all the neighbourhoods recommended. Our sons are 14, 17 and 19 and the two younger ones will be in grades 9 and 12. We are looking for a smaller school that focuses more on the arts and social emotional learning versus strictly marks and achievement. If any of you know of any in the center of town, I would love to hear about it. Having said that, I haven't checked out any other threads yet. I am ecstatic that we will soon be surrounded by water as we have been living in the beautiful but pretty well landlocked province of Alberta for many years. Thanks again
Pinkie M
Welcome to Houston... I came here 10+ years ago from Alberta.

You are in for quite a climate shock. You will indeed be surrounded by water... in the form of humidity! Unlike the harsh dry winter air you're dealing with now, you'll never have any issues with dry skin again!

Old 01-07-2009, 09:04 PM

759 posts, read 3,184,856 times
Everyone knows about Shadyside. But unless you are the CEO of a major Oil company and have already cashed several 10's of millions in stock options....you ( or I) cant live there. It is my favorite place in Houston....maybe a close second or tie would be Sherwood Forest. Of the few homes in Shadyside, you may see one go on sale every 2 or 3 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
Shhhh, modster! Let's keep Shadyside secret and let the hordes continue to think that River Oaks is the best.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:00 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
I love Katy, specifically Cinco Ranch, because it is so well maintained and so family friendly. Tons of activities and resources around for our small children, and just a short drive away from the Museum District, which we ventured into three times last week when my family was here from out of town. Our neighborhood is absolutely delightful, it's the people that make it so but I guess it attracts a certain type of people...young families!
Well, now, let's note that "short drive" is a very relative thing around here...

Old 01-08-2009, 07:02 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,498,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Well, now, let's note that "short drive" is a very relative thing around here...

No joke.

I love and area of Lindenwood in Memorial, on a street called Shasta Circle. There's a Virgina farmhouse down in there on 5 acres that's carved and molded to look like the Virigina countryside. Me want.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:28 AM

1,288 posts, read 4,938,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Of course, but 35-40 mintues to get from my house to the Houston zoo or Natural Science museum is pretty short to me. Of course it helps that those places don't open till after the AM rush.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:49 AM

734 posts, read 1,080,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbhubbell View Post
Of course, but 35-40 mintues to get from my house to the Houston zoo or Natural Science museum is pretty short to me. Of course it helps that those places don't open till after the AM rush.

You must be joking.... Please tell me your joking....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston