Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 01:06 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,098,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
HISD has caved in to politicians and won't shut down low enrollment schools and they've rebuilt schools in certain areas with declining enrollment.
Which ones do you think are the most egregious examples? I am aware those in the African-American community are often territorial over their schools and don't like to go to schools in "rival" neighborhoods. A lot of school closures/consolidations happened anyway (I remember they build Ketelsen Elementary, but that was to replace two existing schools)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 02:52 PM

As per the Houston Press Saavedra's not eligible to be permanently superintendent https://www.houstonpress.com/news/ca...ndent-10947362

Quote:
Apparently orchestrated by trustee Diana Davila and others on the board to the exclusion of trustees Wanda Adams, Jolanda Jones and board president Rhonda Skillern-Jones, the surprise motion followed a 6-3 vote to continue the contract with a firm helping in the search for a permanent superintendent. Saavedra's contract will be for six months at the same rate of pay as departed Superintendent Richard Carranza and he will not be considered for the permanent spot. In a 5-4 vote, Diegaard joined the three African-American trustees to oppose naming Saavedra.
Also:

Quote:
both Adams and Jones stated that it was the Hispanic members of the board who wanted Carranza gone. "Because he did not do what they wanted him to do," Adams said. "He was trying to do right." And as Jones put it: "People who looked like him wanted him gone."
They've got recordings too and I wanna watch them

Old 10-14-2018, 05:36 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,785,469 times
Well, that was quick...Diana Davila needs to step down.

httphttps://abc13.com/education/hous...ndent/4483903/

Old 10-14-2018, 08:52 PM

There needs to be an open act investigation ASAP!
https://www.khou.com/article/news/ed.../285-604315775

Old 10-14-2018, 10:16 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,234,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Which ones do you think are the most egregious examples? I am aware those in the African-American community are often territorial over their schools and don't like to go to schools in "rival" neighborhoods. A lot of school closures/consolidations happened anyway (I remember they build Ketelsen Elementary, but that was to replace two existing schools)
all, Kashmere should've been closed when Wheatley was built or even send them to Booker T or North Forest. They've rebuilt Sterling and Worthing when one school could've housed all (even with Jones closing). Scarborough has always been small but they hang on when you can send them to Waltrip.

Old 10-15-2018, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
all, Kashmere should've been closed when Wheatley was built or even send them to Booker T or North Forest. They've rebuilt Sterling and Worthing when one school could've housed all (even with Jones closing). Scarborough has always been small but they hang on when you can send them to Waltrip.
It may help to check the capacities of the buildings? HISD might post them somewhere but I don't know where they are.

Kashmere was good to keep open in hindsight since HISD now has all the North Forest territory.

I am wondering why Scarborough remains as is, although I'm not sure if Waltrip has the capacity to house everyone from there. I would like to see the parts of Cy-Fair ISD in the Houston city limits moved to HISD so Scarboorugh would have more of a purpose.

I wonder if HISD things the area between 610 and BW8 may eventually get more residents? They did build DeAnda near Hobby.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:23 PM

2,945 posts, read 5,006,268 times
Quote:
It may help to check the capacities of the buildings? HISD might post them somewhere but I don't know where they are.

Kashmere was good to keep open in hindsight since HISD now has all the North Forest territory.

I am wondering why Scarborough remains as is, although I'm not sure if Waltrip has the capacity to house everyone from there. I would like to see the parts of Cy-Fair ISD in the Houston city limits moved to HISD so Scarboorugh would have more of a purpose.

I wonder if HISD things the area between 610 and BW8 may eventually get more residents? They did build DeAnda near Hobby.

Which parts of Cyfair? The Fairbanks area? That's already hood and a drag on Cyfair. I'm sure they would give it up quick like I'm sure Klein would to the KF feeder pattern schools.

HISD needs to be chopped up into about 3 districts. Look at the DFW area. HISD up there would be about 5 districts. They have so many little districts and I feel like as a whole, they're better off. HISD is just too big with too many low performing schools.

Is HISD a Title 1 district? When I was in high school someone told me that a district can be Title 1 if a high school is and that KF should be a Title 1 high school but the district has been pushing back to not be labeled as a whole Title 1

Old 10-15-2018, 11:46 PM

264 posts, read 101,610 times
Quote:
1. The problem is that schools aren't the cause of failure all of the time. Instead it's issues at home and in the community that are deeply rooted. In the end it's about saying "we're doing something" and taking actions that aren't actually making a difference, while teachers who do everything they *reasonably* (reasonably is key, as they shouldn't be expected to be putting in so much effort that their marriages fail) should do for success still get punished for things out of their control.

2. If education was higher-paying and better respected people would see school boards as the cream of the crop and a final destination. Instead... well.. Mark Twain made some disparaging comments on school boards.

Interesting point.

Yes, the Houston Independent School District need to be unified in ensuring that the students are well educated.

As the demographics may change in many neighborhoods and schools, the goal remains the same - ensure that the students are well educated.

Teachers' salaries should be increased and more Gifted and Talented curriculum offered at more schools especially at the pre-k level.

However, the most profound step will be for parents to begin nurturing the child when the child is still in the womb - reading to the child, playing music for the child and eating a healthy diet (minimal fried foods, minimal sugar, minimal sodas, etc.) and light exercise such as walking while being free of stress!

I believe that every child deserves an opportunity for a great education as much as every child deserves great parents who understand the importance of a great education!

How do we ensure that every child have great parents?

Resolving cyclical inter-generational poverty is crucial along with intercession by other concerned parents, groups and other institutions.

Also, an increase in affordable housing and discounted job re-training for adults is a step in the right direction.

In fact, the local junior colleges and vocational schools should offer 50% reduction in tuition for not only adults who are maybe older than 55 but maybe having programs that allow young teenage mothers to receive mentoring by others may be beneficial.

Having a child when one is 14 or 15 or 16, etc. and dropping out of school is not a wise decision but once it has occurred, it appears reasonable to intercede and relay lessons that maybe the parents of the young lady never taught.

Anyway, just rambling but thought that I would offer some thoughts...

Old 10-16-2018, 06:59 AM

18,158 posts, read 25,383,642 times
Dumb question,
is there any reason HISD has to be so big and not broken up?

Last edited by Dopo; 10-16-2018 at 07:15 AM..

Old 10-16-2018, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Dumb question,
is there any reason HISD has to be so big and not broken up?
Money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston