Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 12:30 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,242,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
To be frank the feuding between the emergent Hispanics and the suburbanizing blacks is nothing new. Many African American neighborhoods are getting influxes of Hispanics, and its making African Americans feel like theyre losing control of sectors theyve held. You see it in Dallas and Los Angeles too...
Nothing new. Even in blue collar jobs I have witnessed and heard blacks complaining about Mexicans “oppressing” them. That mentality is even seen on this fine forum with the agenda pushers.

This whole 3 ring circus with a pseudo 3rd world-ish element isn’t exactly selling me on HISD.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2018, 12:53 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
I don't see how a public school district with these demographics can avoid this issue; I mean "identity politics" is the inherent problem here (that won't be going away) and it's based on competition for jobs and influence. The question is how much the issue is actually interfering with education, and how much control the monied folk in Bellaire, West U, Meyerland, the far westside, etc as well as upper class African-Americans in Riveride Terrace can exert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by detachable arm View Post
Nothing new. Even in blue collar jobs I have witnessed and heard blacks complaining about Mexicans “oppressing” them. That mentality is even seen on this fine forum with the agenda pushers.

This whole 3 ring circus with a pseudo 3rd world-ish element isn’t exactly selling me on HISD.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:54 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
When I first saw this on the morning news (only half paying attention), I didn't realize it was an HISD Board meeting. It was portraying a group that was so unprofessional and chaotic, that I thought was a report that had gone viral about a small organization where there had been a disagreement that had gotten out of hand.

Old 10-12-2018, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
When I first saw this on the morning news (only half paying attention), I didn't realize it was an HISD Board meeting. It was portraying a group that was so unprofessional and chaotic, that I thought was a report that had gone viral about a small organization where there had been a disagreement that had gotten out of hand.
Is the video on YouTube?

Old 10-12-2018, 01:57 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdemo View Post
You're still fun.
The truth doesn't have to be fun, it's still the truth.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
The truth doesn't have to be fun, it's still the truth.
If the meeting was chaotic all around, thats distressing! I'm an HISD grad and my sister's starting a family soon.. the kiddo will be in HISD in all certainty. This means she has a stake in this.

I wanna see the video so I can see who is misbehaving

Old 10-12-2018, 02:08 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
The US's education system is beyond broken. There has to be a complete overhaul of the system if the US is ever going to rank high again.

Old 10-12-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
The US's education system is beyond broken. There has to be a complete overhaul of the system if the US is ever going to rank high again.
Which do you think are the worst issues?

IMO I think the punishing schools for not performing well causes perverse incentives.

Old 10-12-2018, 03:22 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,185,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Is the video on YouTube?
Here is a story from Channel 2, and there is a rather long video of the entire vote at the bottom where you can get the general sense of it. I looked for the quick sound bite videos I had seen this morning, but didn't come across any, sorry.

https://www.click2houston.com/news/h...superintendent

Old 10-12-2018, 04:17 PM

15,429 posts, read 7,487,193 times
Diana Davila was the apparent driver for putting Lathan back down to a staff position and bringing Saveedra back. Some of this is probably in retaliation for the trio of Jolanda Jones, Wanda Adams and Rhonda Killern-Jones constantly playing the race card as they try to build credibility with their Black constituents. Deigaard voted against the action, while Davila, Sung, Lira, Vilaseca, and Santos voted for replacing Lathan with Abelardo round 2.

The entire board should be ashamed of themselves for their total incompetence lately. Davila is an ethically compromised returnee to the board,and I have to wonder what's in this move for her, since I do not believe she ever does anything without some personal benefit. Jolanda Jones has a deck of race cards, and plays them regularly. The others are either lost, or stupid.

None of the board members seem to have the best interests of the kids at the top of their list. A pox on all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston