Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 05:31 PM

130 posts, read 677,844 times

Advertisements

We are possibly relocating to Houston in '07 and will mostly likely settle in the Cy-Fair school district. I've stumbled on some info that a number of the elementary schools there are built on the "open-concept". Around here (Washington DC), that was an education fad that failed in the 1970's so I was surprised to hear it was not only still around there, but that new schools were being built with the same floorplans. Does anyone have any first hand experience with children in these schools? The failure of those schools around here blamed it on the high noise volume and numerous distractions to both students and teachers. Also, does anyone know which elementary schools specifically have this layout? Or rather, which ones don't? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2006, 08:09 PM

45 posts, read 279,332 times
My 3 children went through CyFair, yes they do have open concept. My oldest and my youngest did not fare well at all. My middle child did fine. Its no wonder so many children are on Attention Deficit medication, can't concentrate? Wonder why. My 2 constantly complained that they couldnt hear teacher talk. Everytime I went to visit and sit in on a class, the teachers always had the kids sitting in a half moon so they could hear her. CyFair also does not have desks. The kids sit at tables. Test time, they get that 3 way cardboard so they cannot copy. My daughter that did okay in CyFair is a multi tasked child. She does her homework with radio, tv on. Does fine.

Old 12-13-2006, 02:25 PM

Does that mean EVERY elementary school is open-concept?

Old 12-13-2006, 04:20 PM

yes, every elementary is open, and some classes are open concept in jr. high as well

Old 12-15-2006, 10:55 AM

27 posts, read 92,916 times
Default No Open Concept

I teach in CFISD at a junior high. We have no open concepts. Each room has 4 walls and a door.

Old 12-15-2006, 11:49 AM

Thanks HoustonNtherearviewmirror...have you heard any reports from the trenches about the open concept in the elementary schools? Am I overreacting trying to avoid those schools? Anyone know if other districts have this too--is it Houston in general, not just Cy-Fair ISD? THX!

Old 12-16-2006, 04:38 AM

The junior high that my kids attended had walls, moveable walls. The teachers were able to roll the wall that divided the 2 rooms and have 1 big room. That divider stayed open for quite some time.

Old 12-16-2006, 06:49 PM

I've only heard of Cyfair having open concept. I think the majority of kids fare ok with the open concept. Then there are some that do not. I just happen to have two that do not do well, one that did. If the child is just starting school they should have no problem. If your child is able to make adjustments they should be ok. Personally, I do not like the idea. To many distractions, not only for the students, but teachers too.

Old 12-16-2006, 07:18 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,445,361 times
Spring ISD had open concept schools when I was a student there.

Old 12-23-2006, 09:52 PM

1 posts, read 10,524 times
cy-fair is a real good place to go to shool wayyy better than hisd
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston