Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 08:38 PM

6 posts, read 22,044 times

Advertisements

I'm reaching out to all of those who live in SCR or the area... What do you think of the "Landfill Issue"? When I bought my house in SCR a year ago, I found this site and the posts about the landfill made my blood run cold. We loved the house we found and bought it anyway, and what do you know... a total non-issue. We even live on the Fort Bend (western) side of SCR.

It gets a little frustrating to see all the posts that refer darkly to the SCR "landfill issue." I know the landfill is going to get taller (our patio looks in the opposite direction, anyway) but my understanding is that it's covered in layers. I don't have any reason to think it will get any smellier, which would be the obvious concern. (My understanding is that the water does not come from the landfill area, although the simple solution to that is just to get a water cooler.)

We have lived here for a year and we absolutely love the neighborhood. I guess it doesn't really make a difference to us for people to smear it online, but it's a little frustrating to see our lovely neighborhood tagged with this "landfill issue" that really isn't an issue at all. Anyone else from the area care to weigh in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 08:46 PM

6 posts, read 71,771 times
I too live in Shadow Creek Ranch, and I absolutely love it. My neighnborhood is beautiful, and i love jogging around the lakes. There is a lot of stuff being built in the community that will make livng here an absolute breeze! Ive never smelt any landfill at all. 2 times in the last yr i smelt chemicals, but i think tht is fron the azko nobel plant.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:00 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,445,043 times
You just have to 'trust' the government and the people that run the landfill that the mercury, toxic emissions and leaching won't affect you or your family.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:15 PM
JRE

70 posts, read 321,644 times
Shadow Creek Ranch sounds like a dangerous and unhealthy place to live. Sometimes people would rather just look at the pretty veneer and not want the truth about living on a toxic waste dump. Most closed dumps contain carcinogenic chemicals that have contaminated groundwater and caused illnesses in communities across the country. You've both just lived there a short time. Be aware of your health and that of your families' health, and don't jog around the dumpsite area. If you experience headaches, respiratory illnesses, flu-like symptoms, it may be from exposure to chemicals in the landfill. Explosion and fire are also dangers. If you to continue living there, it would be wise to get as much information as you can regarding the landfill and not depend on government to provide you with all the answers.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:34 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
You just have to 'trust' the government and the people that run the landfill that the mercury, toxic emissions and leaching won't affect you or your family.

Scary that people actually do this. Hopefully things won't turn out like this, where the neighborhood had to be demolished:

Brio Superfund site - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-22-2008, 08:49 AM

128 posts, read 457,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Scary that people actually do this. Hopefully things won't turn out like this, where the neighborhood had to be demolished:

Where exactly was that neighborhood located? I know it was near Beamer and Dixie Farm Rd. But which side was it on?

Nevermind. I found it.

Last edited by BamaTex; 05-22-2008 at 08:55 AM.. Reason: got info

Old 05-22-2008, 09:31 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,696,401 times
Real close to Beamer @ Dixie Farm there is a neighborhood we actually looked at as it was being built in '04. Thankfully we didn't buy there! It's across Beamer from San Jac College.

Actually we never knew anything about that Superfund until I came onto this board!!!

Old 05-22-2008, 12:32 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,211,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRE View Post
Shadow Creek Ranch sounds like a dangerous and unhealthy place to live. Sometimes people would rather just look at the pretty veneer and not want the truth about living on a toxic waste dump. Most closed dumps contain carcinogenic chemicals that have contaminated groundwater and caused illnesses in communities across the country. You've both just lived there a short time. Be aware of your health and that of your families' health, and don't jog around the dumpsite area. If you experience headaches, respiratory illnesses, flu-like symptoms, it may be from exposure to chemicals in the landfill. Explosion and fire are also dangers. If you to continue living there, it would be wise to get as much information as you can regarding the landfill and not depend on government to provide you with all the answers.
Do you even know what you are talking about? The landfill near SCR is NOT a "toxic dump". There is actually no such thing as a "toxic dump". The landfill near SCR is a Type I Municipal Landfill. That means it accepts primarily household generated garbage, rubbish from households, construction and other locations, and some special wastes for disposal. The only chemicals allowed to be disposed there are those found in household generated garbage. That landfill is also relatively young and is constructed with modern synthetic liners and leachate collection systems. When of appropriate age, it will probably also have a methane recovery system as well (pretty standard now days). Old landfills (pre 90's when synthetic liners were introduced and especially pre 70's when there were no rules or standards) typically have leachate or methane gas migration issues if their clay liners and final cover were inadequate. While this can happen in modern landfills...it is far less likely.

Odor can and does continue to be an issue at Type I landfills. Garbage is smells like garbage. Hopefully this landfill has adequate screening and buffer zones and uses ample daily cover.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:43 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,211,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post

Wow! talking about a weak entry in Wiki. Anyway, Brio superfund did not involve a landfill. Rather the problem was that the company used unlined ponds (pits) as treatment units causing quite a bit of contamination and leaking. The houses in Southbend that bordered the Brio property and the elementary school were a bit too close IMO. Most of the damage at this site occurred pre EPA or TCEQ or environmental law for that matter. For better info see: NPL Site Narrative for Brio Refining, Inc. | National Priorities List (NPL) | US EPA

Old 05-22-2008, 12:48 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,489,277 times
With all the suburban choices you can make in Houston, why would you want to buy near a landfill, or like Alania/Telfair, a prison????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston