Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 10:59 AM

94 posts, read 278,191 times

Advertisements

In my area now they are a pretty big problem, providing work that is so cheap no one can compete in the cleanup/yardwork market.

I grew up in Canada and it was standard that young white or even Asian kids would do all landscaping. The rate of pay was good and it was something you could live on.

When we move to the area, I just want to be sure to have a plan B, and that would be landscaping. Is this sector off limits to decent wages?

I am trying to sound tolerant as I am unsure of Houstonians feelings toward the issue.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:35 AM

759 posts, read 3,185,112 times
basically almost all yard work yard maintenance is done by people who may or may not have documents. Most do not speak any English. However, they know what a "greenback" is

Old 07-24-2008, 11:39 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,707,657 times
Houston only likes illegals when they can perform cheap labor that improves the value of our homes & businesses. At any other time, they are a considered nuisance.

But anyway, I've heard about companies paying lawn mowers $8-12/hr. That's all I know. They could be paying under the table, as could tree, concrete, cleaning services etc... but I honestly can't say what goes on in their books. That wage is nothing to me & you but it's a lot to someone who came from Mexico.

What I do know is that if you want to get into it, you should know Spanish if you want to communicate with your co-workers. Also, yardwork is seasonal work for about 7 months out of the year. The rest of the year would have a lot of downtime.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:46 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,122,554 times
well personally I do not think yard work labor is cheap. my neighbor's kid wants $10

Old 07-24-2008, 03:57 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,125,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
At any other time, they are a considered nuisance.
They go far beyond "nuisance". They have filled our schools with free ride students, and filled our hospitals with free ride patients wanting free medical care. Oh, and even if you get past their auto thefts and drug trafficking, one blew the head off of a Houston Police Officer last year.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
They go far beyond "nuisance". They have filled our schools with free ride students, and filled our hospitals with free ride patients wanting free medical care. Oh, and even if you get past their auto thefts and drug trafficking, one blew the head off of a Houston Police Officer last year.
How can school districts not require birth certificates for enrollment into classes? Seems that would be the easiest way to curb the issue?

Old 07-24-2008, 04:03 PM

759 posts, read 3,185,112 times
Again, Please send that kid to my lawn. I am willing to go $12 :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
well personally I do not think yard work labor is cheap. my neighbor's kid wants $10

Old 07-24-2008, 04:05 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,125,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by occdn View Post
How can school districts not require birth certificates for enrollment into classes? Seems that would be the easiest way to curb the issue?

Houston, like San Francisco, is a sanctuary city. Only Americans are required to obey the law. The Mexicans get a free pass.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:07 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,275,674 times
Look at it this way...

Official Mexico Minimum Wage PER DAY (Not Hour): MX$53 (About US$5.28)

Average Mexico Minimum Wage PER DAY (Not Hour): MX$200 (About US$19.94)

Need I say more? I'm not defending it, BTW, just pointing out why so many come here to the US.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:48 PM

I don't think the question on anyones mind has ever been "Why do they come here".

If you've been inside of central Mexico... you'd know why. Take a drive through it like I did a few years ago. Kids wear rags, in hut villages and kick old battered coffee cans around for entertainment. I saw a 10-11 year old girl piggy-backing her 5-7 year old brother down a dirt road selling trinkets to folks driving by - the issue was they had no water and there wasn't a town or house within 2 miles on either end. No, I am not exaggerating one slight bit. I witnessed some real back road towns and saw what they had - nothing. So if there is a single chance they could get a 10% better life, I am sure they would let alone a 100,000% better one.

I'm not defending it either, but as an immigrant myself I can understand coming to the US for a better life. I just happened to do it the legal and respectable way. I paid my dues... oh did I ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: