Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 07:27 PM

2,465 posts, read 5,796,746 times

Advertisements

Give credit where credit is due mate. Really misleading title. Thanks for stoping by and please come back. More stuff to see for sure
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 09:02 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,196,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svensk08 View Post
The Houston Botanic Garden organization recently secured the old Glenbrook Valley Golf Course property as the site for our city's new botanical gardens. Preliminary plans have been approved and fundraising is underway, but it will be years before it all comes together.
Thanks for that info. For some reason, it sounds familiar. Maybe I read it here before in response to a comment I may have made previously. Can't remember.

Old 03-23-2017, 07:35 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,917,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
There isn't a houston aquarium. What we have is a seafood restaurant called the aquarium that has large saltwater aquariums spread throughout and a few other attractions. That is the fault of the city pass for being somewhat misleading.

The shuttle -- the government administration at the time decided we didn't need or deserve a real one despite NASA being here. To appease the city, they gave us the original mock up. And as Texans are known to do -- they made the best of it by showcasing it and allowing tourist to board it and look around. Apparently the real ones, you can't board -- only view. Glad you had a good two Out of three.
What made me wanted to go back was to see the shuttle, not a mock up. I was reading some space news while back when they was deciding were to put the shuttles. First place I assume would been houston, and Florida. Not sure why they put one in CA, nothing their that contributes to NASA other than a landing site. You would think they put the 2 work horses were it all started, Houston and FL. Find out later when i got their it was fake. Should have kept up with the news, but i just assumed..

Old 03-23-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I was at the Houston Zoo for the first time in about 20 years last month and I also saw that Tiger, and another large cat in different habitat, constantly pacing as well. I'm not an anti zoo person at all, but it bothers be a bit to see animals do that. That said, it doesn't necessarily mean they were in any distress.

With regards to the aquarium restaurant, there are others located outside of Houston, and yes, I think many other people assume they are bona fide zoological facilities, when obviously, they are not. I lived in Denver for a while, and visited the one there (which makes Houston look nice by comparison) and whenever anyone else I knew went there, I felt obligated to explain what it was (and wasn't).

Wish we did have a good aquarium like nearby cities including Dallas and New Orleans have. I also wish Houston had a true Botanical gardens.

My son was crying seeing him do that, and to me he looked little distress. We did find a zoo keeper and ask about his condition. Excuse was" he been sick" and they do that when they feel bad and need a place to hide and get away from the environment. Nature way of telling us to leave them alone. It really look bad when we went. Pretty cat, but the lion den had more room than that tiger did..

Old 03-23-2017, 11:40 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,056,601 times
The aquarium is a restuarant called the aquarium
Yes its got a fish tank, but its not an aquarium

Reading reviews online would have made that clear

Old 03-23-2017, 12:06 PM

2,551 posts, read 4,058,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
What made me wanted to go back was to see the shuttle, not a mock up. I was reading some space news while back when they was deciding were to put the shuttles. First place I assume would been houston, and Florida. Not sure why they put one in CA, nothing their that contributes to NASA other than a landing site. You would think they put the 2 work horses were it all started, Houston and FL. Find out later when i got their it was fake. Should have kept up with the news, but i just assumed..
Texas' congressional delegation actively and vocally led efforts to delegitimize Obama from the moment he was elected, and vowed to stand in his way on whatever he did. It's no wonder that none of the real shuttles came to Texas. Everyone hates the Federal government until they want something, right?

Old 03-23-2017, 03:25 PM

18,134 posts, read 25,314,766 times
Quote:
What made me wanted to go back was to see the shuttle, not a mock up.
I gotta ask,
how bad is that "mock up" shuttle?
Is it made out of wood and cardboard?

Old 03-24-2017, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I gotta ask,
how bad is that "mock up" shuttle?
Is it made out of wood and cardboard?
Its not really that bad, just you will notice it right away when you get up in person. Cant tell what the inside is made, but the front cabin is plasture shell with paint and fake heat shields. What gives the fake away is the heat shield numbering system, and the console when you walk in it. Looks like a painted back board with fake led and screens back lits. I have a nich for finding fake stuff and this is one that they shouldnt have faked. If it isnt real, should have never put it on display. The 747 is real as you can get it.. Shuttle was a disappointment. I been to FL when they launch discovery, can tell you its more pretty to see it on the pad than this thing, and your couple miles way from the pad.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:07 PM

469 posts, read 1,101,938 times
Quote:

NASA actually has three facilities in CA including the Jet Propulsion Lab. The shuttles were also built in CA. I thought CA was going to get a shuttle so that they could have one on the west coast. The Smithsonian was also going to get one. The one you can really complain about is NY but they only got the Enterprise which is only a test shuttle.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liljo22 View Post
NASA actually has three facilities in CA including the Jet Propulsion Lab. The shuttles were also built in CA. I thought CA was going to get a shuttle so that they could have one on the west coast. The Smithsonian was also going to get one. The one you can really complain about is NY but they only got the Enterprise which is only a test shuttle.
I seen the Enterprise and its pretty neat. It was expected to be semi-incomplete as it was a test shuttle. But honestly, the choice of putting a fake mock up at the main center of every NASA mission is a insult to the town and to the space community. CA JPL is for experiments such as the MARs rovers, but never had any other point of reference to them except the landing runway at Edwards. Another reason they should have kept the Enterprise at that site since it was tested 5? times at that location. If i had the choice, would have put the 3 shuttles at DC Smithsonian, houston and KSC in Fl. No need to send one to a sh hole such as NY.

update: This is the report i was going by and makes perfect sense.
Under all five of the team's options, one orbiter would be placed at the Smithsonian. For the other three shuttles, options included restricting them to government facilities only, such as the Kennedy Visitor Complex, Space Center Houston in Texas, and the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force in Ohio, or favoring geographic diversity, placing orbiters in Florida, Texas and Washington state.
http://www.space.com/12747-nasa-pick...ms-report.html

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TRAVEL/04/12...tle.new.homes/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston