Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 11:48 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,917,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
FOr a decent aquarium, you should have driven down to Moody gardens. Some parts are being remodeled, but still it was bigger than the Downtown "aquarent". Food is decent though at downtown.

Did you take the small train that shows you the shark? It was hidden but justified the cost to some extent
train? um no.. was hoping it had more than it had..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 12:32 PM

226 posts, read 306,974 times
The aquarium like others have said is not a real aquarium. Did you not spend 30 minutes on trip adviser reading into all of these attractions?

Old 03-22-2017, 01:08 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,067,511 times
Yeah you really have to think of it as "The Aquarium Restaurant" not "The Houston Aquarium!" No comparison to some of the great aquariums across the US and Canada.

Houston wanted one of the space shuttles but it went elsewhere.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:21 PM

5,847 posts, read 6,196,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
one tiger in a 200 foot cage just panting back and forth like he wanted to jump the fence so bad and run.. just run.
I was at the Houston Zoo for the first time in about 20 years last month and I also saw that Tiger, and another large cat in different habitat, constantly pacing as well. I'm not an anti zoo person at all, but it bothers be a bit to see animals do that. That said, it doesn't necessarily mean they were in any distress.

With regards to the aquarium restaurant, there are others located outside of Houston, and yes, I think many other people assume they are bona fide zoological facilities, when obviously, they are not. I lived in Denver for a while, and visited the one there (which makes Houston look nice by comparison) and whenever anyone else I knew went there, I felt obligated to explain what it was (and wasn't).

Wish we did have a good aquarium like nearby cities including Dallas and New Orleans have. I also wish Houston had a true Botanical gardens.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:40 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,014,833 times
There isn't a houston aquarium. What we have is a seafood restaurant called the aquarium that has large saltwater aquariums spread throughout and a few other attractions. That is the fault of the city pass for being somewhat misleading.

The shuttle -- the government administration at the time decided we didn't need or deserve a real one despite NASA being here. To appease the city, they gave us the original mock up. And as Texans are known to do -- they made the best of it by showcasing it and allowing tourist to board it and look around. Apparently the real ones, you can't board -- only view. Glad you had a good two Out of three.

Last edited by texas7; 03-22-2017 at 02:13 PM..

Old 03-22-2017, 02:15 PM

469 posts, read 1,101,938 times
Like others have said, the Downtown Aquarium is a Landry's property that has the aquarium tour and rides attached. The restaurant on the second floor has the big tank. Its a fun restaurant atmosphere with ok food. My kids love to eat there. For the rest of the areas, the aquarium tour is nothing to write home about but the rides and shark train are fun.

The three retired space shuttles are in Virginia, California and Florida. The Houston one is only the trainer and the New York one is the test plane that never went into space. Was in DC this fall and was disappointed to find out its not at the Smithsonian at the National Lawn but rather at the one in VA.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:18 PM

18,134 posts, read 25,314,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitpausebutton2 View Post
The big disappointment was the Houston Aquarium. What a joke. We expected more than 2-3 tanks of the same fish, and more exotic fishes like sharks, rays, the good stuff. Nope you have to pay for the rays, and nothing to really look at.
I've been saying this for years
It's embarrassing that Corpus Christi (pop. 320,000) has an aquarium 10 times better than Houston (pop. 6 million)

Texas State Aquarium - Trip Advisor

Somebody had the balls to put the Houston "aquarium" as the #11 in best aquarium
and Corpus Christi at #16
25 Best Aquariums In America

Old 03-22-2017, 02:27 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,665,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liljo22 View Post
Like others have said, the Downtown Aquarium is a Landry's property that has the aquarium tour and rides attached. The restaurant on the second floor has the big tank. Its a fun restaurant atmosphere with ok food. My kids love to eat there. For the rest of the areas, the aquarium tour is nothing to write home about but the rides and shark train are fun.

The three retired space shuttles are in Virginia, California and Florida. The Houston one is only the trainer and the New York one is the test plane that never went into space. Was in DC this fall and was disappointed to find out its not at the Smithsonian at the National Lawn but rather at the one in VA.
The Udvar Hazy center, where the shuttle is in VA, is an amazing place. And not just because of the shuttle. If you like planes, it is a must see. My son absolutely love it when we visited.

Old 03-22-2017, 03:39 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,014,833 times
Many moons ago we had sea-Arama in Galveston. It didn't make it.

Old 03-22-2017, 07:00 PM

860 posts, read 1,587,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
Wish we did have a good aquarium like nearby cities including Dallas and New Orleans have. I also wish Houston had a true Botanical gardens.
The Houston Botanic Garden organization recently secured the old Glenbrook Valley Golf Course property as the site for our city's new botanical gardens. Preliminary plans have been approved and fundraising is underway, but it will be years before it all comes together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston