Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 10:54 PM

40 posts, read 333,677 times

Advertisements

Anyone know what it costs to join private golf clubs in the Houston area? I'd really like to know how much Champions is, but info on other clubs would also be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 09:59 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,447,420 times
Well, Champions is a player's course that is one of the tops in the nation. You pay to play. I'm thinking 25-50K to join plus high dues.

Some of the other private courses are basically giving away memberships. I know Raveneaux with its big changes was begging people to join, and basically giving the membership away if you pay dues.

Northgate was also offering big deals.

Almost all of those are about $300 a month or so plus any dinners, range plans, cart plans, sandwiches, beers, etc. that you put on it.

Almost all have "Junior" plans for people under a certain age, usually 30 or 35.

There are also the "semi-private" clubs that are usually part of a chain of clubs. For instance, you can pay one yearly fee and play at Augusta Pines and Gleanloch together. The public can play too, but you get your "member" status.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:35 PM

Default Thanks for the info! If we make the move

to Houston my husband would love to join a club. I'll have to look more at the ones with cheap memberships.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:20 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,457,536 times
As I understand it, you also have to be a pretty decent golfer to be able to join Champions GC.

Old 02-21-2008, 07:57 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,551,068 times
Just be careful. Some of the suburban clubs claim to be "private." But that only means that you have to belong and pay dues in order to play or use the facilities. The only thing needed to become a member is the ability to write the 25-30k check.You're automatically in, no waiting list. Or the "social membership" of 3k. They get everything but the golf. So, sometimes you are subjected to members that don't know how to behave themselves or know how to treat a golf course. Often these clubs are over run with 3-4000 members, tee times have to be made days in advance and reservations made for big holiday social event months in advance.
I had an experience on the Palmer course, in The Woodlands, being behind a group wearing tennis shoes and one guy in jeans. Every hole you heard the F-word (loud), peppered with the s-word, out of one of them. When we were done, I asked the Marshall who they were. They were members. The member I was golfing with said the club was not the strict, traditional sort. You don't say?

The more exclusive clubs run upwards of 75k these days (dues of about 1000k per month) with waiting lists up to 5 years. Massive screening and recommendations are required, dress codes enforced etc. You might think that snobbish, but it makes for good golf.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:40 AM

1,148 posts, read 3,564,504 times
Hey Fiestymama, my husband is looking for someone to golf with. We have a nice private course here in Fall Creek called Redstone (where they hold the Shell Houston Open, Houston's only PGA tour stop). They offer a special rate for new residence here (I think it's around 20K). I just thought I would throw that out there for you. The membership includes complimentary playing privileges at three other award-winning championship courses: The Houstonian Golf & Country Club and both the North and South Courses at BlackHorse Golf Club. IHTH! ~K~

Old 02-22-2008, 12:17 AM

Default Now I don't know what to think. My husband loves

golf, but if we join a club I would like it to also have swimming and tennis, so I guess I should have asked about country clubs, not just golf clubs. So any further info about good clubs in the north or NW area since I assume we'd probably live around there would be great. We wouldn't be able to afford the really pricey clubs - $75,000 is way out of the question for us.

Old 02-22-2008, 10:27 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,447,420 times
You could probably take a chance on Raveneax. They are going through some problems and will be renovating in the future, but they will end up with 27 holes and a new club house. Like I said, they were basically giving away the memberships last time I checked. I wouldn't pay over $1500-$2,000 for one right now. Usually you can get a better deal by buying a membership off somebody, but going to the club directly right now will get you the best deal.

The deal they offered me a couple years ago was the Junior membership price of $1,200, and would waive the upgrade fee to full membership when I turned 30 or 35 (can't remember the age).

Maybe just go around to all the local private clubs, say you are interested, get a guest pass, play, and price it out. At least you should be able to get a few rounds of golf for free (most clubs let you play a round or two if you are shopping for a country club).

Champions WILL be the best club in Houston as far as golf goes. So if you can afford it, can wait on the list, and play well enough to qualify, good luck.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:24 PM

69 posts, read 407,598 times
Thanks! This information is difficult to come by and seems so secretive! Does anyone have information about clubs in the Katy/West Memorial area? Willow Fork appears to be a nice club. We would probably be intersted in a social or tennis membership.
Thanks,
Marjorie

Old 02-23-2008, 02:50 AM

Thanks Supermac34, your info is really helpful. I googled Raveneaux and couldn't find an oficial site - do you know what it is? Also, it appears to be right next to Champions - are they affiliated at all? Northgate looks nice because it seems like a real family club, is Raveneaux similar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston