Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 10:01 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDaisy View Post
How about a yorkie-baby?? I want to find my princess a baby sissy
Sissy, yes indeed - I guess in more ways than one!

http://www.rozinkennel.com/images/yorkie-pictures/yorkie-puppy-06.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 07:17 PM

67 posts, read 238,267 times
Exclamation Traders Village Puppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeAnjel View Post
Obviuosly the local shelters are great places. You can also go to Traders Village, they always have breeders out there. I got my Bichon Frise there and my friend got her mini shnauzer and rat terrier out there.
PLEASE don't ever support these people (I can't call them breeders). These puppies, sold from the back of trucks to anyone with cash, are the victims of uncaring, solely profit-driven puppy-millers who couldn't care less about the health or well-being of those puppies (or their parents), many of whom don't survive long after their purchase. The ones that do survive often have severe life-long health issues and temperament problems from their horrendous beginnings. If you love animals and really want a dog, there are countless choices available in shelters and from ethical breeders as well. For more info, see Stop Puppy Mills .

Old 02-15-2008, 08:03 PM

684 posts, read 2,110,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Sissy, yes indeed - I guess in more ways than one!

http://www.rozinkennel.com/images/yorkie-pictures/yorkie-puppy-06.jpg (broken link)
Yep, that would be her!

My 2yr old yorkie is Daisy, her sissy will be Rosey

Old 02-15-2008, 08:37 PM

799 posts, read 3,694,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaglass View Post
PLEASE don't ever support these people (I can't call them breeders). These puppies, sold from the back of trucks to anyone with cash, are the victims of uncaring, solely profit-driven puppy-millers who couldn't care less about the health or well-being of those puppies (or their parents), many of whom don't survive long after their purchase. The ones that do survive often have severe life-long health issues and temperament problems from their horrendous beginnings. If you love animals and really want a dog, there are countless choices available in shelters and from ethical breeders as well. For more info, see Stop Puppy Mills .
I would agree with this for the most part . I did try to go to animal rescues etc for a small dog and none would let me adopt because you could not have small children in the home ( I used to run a home daycare), or because I had another dog or I had to have someone come inspect my home, I felt they made it too difficult to get the breed I wanted. I did not go to a pet store for the reasons you mentioned. I don't know the history of every person who is selling a pup but Traders Village has pups at a reasonable price with papers and you get to talk to the breeders themselves. My bichon has papers but is smaller then the regular bichon and could never be a show dog and has "blemishes" and I am told that alot of the pups you get at Traders Village are purebreds that may not be show quality or breeding quality and that is why they sell then for less. Is that true, I don't know but I got my pup at half the price and none of the hassle of "rescue" groups who want you to sign over your first born before they will think about giving you a dog. I absolutely believe you should check shelters first which is what I did. I only wanted a dog under 10 lbs because I already had a dog and this one was for my daughter.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:00 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDaisy View Post
Yep, that would be her!

My 2yr old yorkie is Daisy, her sissy will be Rosey

Oh yeah, I think I remember you... saying your dog would feel the lone pea under the mattress.

Little dogs are cool. Their spirit more than makes up for their lack of everything else.

Though as a guy, this is the only kind I'd be caught in public with, preferably one that's all bark/no bite.

15 pounds with the bark of a 40 pounder.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:47 PM

684 posts, read 2,110,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Oh yeah, I think I remember you... saying your dog would feel the lone pea under the mattress.

Little dogs are cool. Their spirit more than makes up for their lack of everything else.

Though as a guy, this is the only kind I'd be caught in public with, preferably one that's all bark/no bite.

15 pounds with the bark of a 40 pounder.
Yeah, Tstone, you recommended a few months ago I "butch up" my yorkie!!
and she says the princess and the pea story was written about her!!

BTW, she gave the thumbs down on the butching up thing!

Old 02-16-2008, 12:35 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,959,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnherrera305 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I'll be in Texas in less than 2 weeks and getting ready for my new life in Houston.

One of my top things to do is to buy or adopt a dog.

Any places where I can purchase or adopt a Chihuahua, pug, Daschund, Boston Terrier?

Thanks!
Houston SPCA: Houston SPCA Homepage

Be Someones HERO!

Old 02-16-2008, 09:03 AM

19 posts, read 77,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyeAnjel View Post
I would agree with this for the most part . I did try to go to animal rescues etc for a small dog and none would let me adopt because you could not have small children in the home ( I used to run a home daycare), or because I had another dog or I had to have someone come inspect my home, I felt they made it too difficult to get the breed I wanted. I did not go to a pet store for the reasons you mentioned. I don't know the history of every person who is selling a pup but Traders Village has pups at a reasonable price with papers and you get to talk to the breeders themselves. My bichon has papers but is smaller then the regular bichon and could never be a show dog and has "blemishes" and I am told that alot of the pups you get at Traders Village are purebreds that may not be show quality or breeding quality and that is why they sell then for less. Is that true, I don't know but I got my pup at half the price and none of the hassle of "rescue" groups who want you to sign over your first born before they will think about giving you a dog. I absolutely believe you should check shelters first which is what I did. I only wanted a dog under 10 lbs because I already had a dog and this one was for my daughter.
As someone who works with Irish Setter rescue, rescue groups have got to be extremely picky about who they let have a dog. Many of the dogs we get have already been through more than one home, abused, neglected or abandoned. The main object of a Breed Rescue organization is to find happy, safe, forever homes for these dogs. They don't want people adopting a dog that may decide they have too many kids, the kids are afraid of the dog, the old dog hates the new dog or the house they live in has no yard or they are trying to adopt the dog for someone else. Too many people adopt a dog casually and then when it's not quite right for the family or they realize that they actually have to train and take care of it, they toss it to a shelter or throw it out on the side of the road.

So yes, it's hard to adopt from a rescue group and can be frustrating. I've had people throw hissy fits because I wouldn't just hand over a dog they thought was pretty. For a rescue group, the dog is the most important factor in the equation. If you stick with it though, you can get a great dog that is more than ready to give you lots of love, and one that is right for your family.

Old 02-16-2008, 05:08 PM

799 posts, read 3,694,905 times
Well said. I do understand the reasoning behind it, it is just frustrating to be the responsible person who can't get the dog. I actually study the dog breeds before I get one, I find the mutts the easiest, however we wanted a tiny dog and my daughter originally wanted a chihuahua but based on internet searches .I felt that breed would not fit in our lifestyle,so we got our bichon instead. I do know there are alot of people who return dogs or dump them on a whim so I am not really complaining about the rescue rules as much as defending why I actually bought my dog rather then rescued a dog.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 5,275 times
I have bought two Chihuahuas with papers from Traders Village and My Lizzy girl just passed away at 15 years old. My Dallas boy is now 3 years and is just great no health issues or any other prolbems has occured. Living in FL and thinking about going back to Dallas to get another on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston