Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 06:03 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,396,101 times

Advertisements

This is exciting news! HISD is offering a new immersion program in French at the new Mark White elementary in west Houston. It's the only public school in Texas to offer this program! It starts with a 2 Pk and 2 kinder classes next year. Then they will add an additional 1st grade in the 2017-18 school year.

Mark White Elementary School / Homepage

Mark White elementary is the new school to be opened in West Houston this summer to relieve crowding in that area. There is no attendance zone, and there are two paths to entry. Magnet in through the boundary zone or the non boundary zone. Similar in nature to Pin Oak middle school.

Planned HISD elementary to relieve crowding - Houston Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 08:30 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
This is exciting news! HISD is offering a new immersion program in French at the new Mark White elementary in west Houston. It's the only public school in Texas to offer this program! It starts with a 2 Pk and 2 kinder classes next year. Then they will add an additional 1st grade in the 2017-18 school year.

Mark White Elementary School / Homepage

Mark White elementary is the new school to be opened in West Houston this summer to relieve crowding in that area. There is no attendance zone, and there are two paths to entry. Magnet in through the boundary zone or the non boundary zone. Similar in nature to Pin Oak middle school.

Planned HISD elementary to relieve crowding - Houston Chronicle

ce qui est excellent maintenant nous pouvons enseignons tous nos enfants à parler français

(this is great now we can teach all of our children to speak french)

Old 02-17-2016, 10:25 AM

413 posts, read 1,180,330 times
There was a whole lot of backlash and protests when HISD started an Arabic immersion program

Old 02-17-2016, 10:33 AM

914 posts, read 1,834,531 times
This may be a good option for folks that want the French education Awty provides but not the steep price. The school is designed to relieve some of the overcrowding at Briar Grove Elementary. The HHA is building a large low income complex on Fountain View which will further crowd Briar Grove.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:46 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,915,700 times
Awty provides a bona fide French Ministry of Education curriculum and materials. This HISD school will be the Texas public school curriculum just taught in French - same as the Spanish, or Mandarin, or Arabic immersion schools.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:34 AM

213 posts, read 303,828 times
So, it's like you get everything plus a language. It's amazing. Why would you knock the program. Awty is full. It's the Only other option for Fr. The Chinese school is great and I'm sure the Fr school will be too. Not sure about the Arabic program, anyone know how that's going?

Old 02-17-2016, 11:50 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,915,700 times
It's not knocking the program to point at that it isn't like Awty at all. The only similarity is the language of instruction. Most of the families in the French section at Awty are there for the curriculum which allows their children to transition seamlessly back into schools in France, or wherever they may go to next, since French schools worldwide have a standardized curriculum. Many of those families strive for their children to learn English and if they wanted a Texas public school curriculum they could simply register at any local school. We ourselves are an Awty French section family. I see this school appealing to locals who want their children to learn French.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:36 PM

213 posts, read 303,828 times
Um yeah, but not all the Fr people in town get a subsidized ride into the Fr section at Awty. There will actually be people that apply to both most likely.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:09 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,094,827 times
This is awesome news! Thanks so much for sharing it! I remember supporting their social media efforts to raise awareness, but I never heard much after that lol...

I do have one question, I'm pretty sure most Pre-K programs in HISD are geared towards those with financial needs. Is the same true for any of the Immersion programs? My wife and I are interested in the French one, but the Mandarin school is much closer to our house.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:06 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,274,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggy_mba View Post
There was a whole lot of backlash and protests when HISD started an Arabic immersion program
I was thinking the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: