Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 08:51 PM

91 posts, read 160,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
No kidding! It is one of the most desirable areas and school district in town!
I knew SBISD was desirable, but didn't know "one of most desirable". Good to know. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
And last Friday Spring branch schools were on a lock down for some hours due to a crime alert by FBI.( a credible threat near the very middle school) .
I never like hearing about this for ANY school - schools should feel safe no matter what community.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Town View Post
I would be extremely cautious. Especially if it is not far from Longpoint. Yes, it is better to rent a house first to get more familiar with the area (if possible). The problems might show up only after a couple of months. I also considered Spring Branch less than a year ago, but I did not care about schools at all and considered mostly proximity to work, crime situation and house price.

Carefully check area demographics within 5 blocks radius. This will tell a lot. Maybe ride a bike several times and look at every corner.
All good suggestions. I did just get off the phone with the neighbor who lived next door to the home for over 20 years. She had only positives to say. So, that is encouraging.

Old 10-05-2015, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasroots77 View Post
Most prefer Memorial middle but many accept Spring Branch middle since it often times means being closer in (Spring Valley, Hunter Creek, Memorial Villages versus Frostwood, Beinhorn area). I think Spring Branch middle scores might be lower because they double the percentage of "disadvantaged" students (20% versus 10%). With this often comes parents who cannot help with education because they do not speak English or simple necessities possibly out-way education as a priority.

And talk to neighbors!
Good insights - perhaps it is for no other reasons than as you have shared. --- I just got off phone with one of the neighbors and she only had great things to say.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memorialite View Post
It is desirable bc it's boundaries include the wealthiest Villages. Piney point, hunters creek, bunker hill, Hedwig, Spring Valley. Your kid will be at school with people of high expectations and money for to pay for those advantages. It has a fair number of low income apartment students vs MMS, which can affect test scores. You should tour the school.

Ha pretty sure initiation is closer to $15 k! Spring Valley has an active moms club, valley Oaks PTA meets at night, you can join the local government for the Village....
I love diversity for my kids, so am totally good with the exposure to kids at different socioeconomic levels. In fact, I tend to send them to a summer day camp further out for that very reason.

So, for the Racquet Club, I am thinking i could do a LOT of cool trips for that same amount of money. Any insights on what makes it a truly worthwhile investment?

Thanks for the other suggestions. The neighbor did mention a couple of those as ways to get involved. Cheers!

Old 10-05-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasroots77 View Post
Yes Memorialite it is over $20K now but well worth it IMO.
Texasroots - Are you a member for business development reasons? I could see $20k + mo. fees being totally justifiable then. But, maybe I am missing something.

Old 10-05-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandres View Post
The part of Spring Branch zoned to Memorial High school (the Villages, etc.) is what League City aspires to be 30 years from now. It's one of the wealthiest, most desirable areas of the city (arguably the most desirable if you favor a more suburban feel to the pomp of River Oaks). League City is more of a nouveau riche, white-flight area - hence the attitudes you're seeing. For me that would be a simple choice. I'm surprised your husband hasn't insisted on it already considering the difference in the commute.
I'm not sure if League City yet knows what it aspires to be. It's a decent and good place to live...just not exactly a "fit" for us. As I shared earlier, we have a nice home, great schools and good/trustworthy neighbors who all watch out for each other. I know all the leaders and many moms at my kids' school. It all makes life EASY here. Hubby recognizes all that and he has "chosen" the commute for now.

If we move, we want to "improve" our life (ourselves and kiddos) ...as it will be a sizable undertaking of resources - time, money, emotions, energy - to do it.

I guess we have lots to think about and all of you good people here on the Forum have given me plenty to consider. For that, I am VERY grateful!

Old 10-05-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkLadyK View Post
There isn't anything specifically bad about it that I have heard, but simply the "general consensus" which might just be "veiled bigotry." Someone else mentioned it, but I think the main difference is that there are more economically disadvantaged (or maybe even simply more "less-advantaged") kids at SBMS. The school alone would not make me avoid living in that area.
I appreciate you sharing your thoughts!

Old 10-05-2015, 10:07 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,804 times
Spring Branch is one thing and SBISD is another. Spring Branch is a very big area but I'm not sure if anyone is actually certain of the boundaries although it is generally thought to be bounded by the I-10 to the south, the 290 to the north, the beltway to the west and the 610 to the east. There are some areas of Spring Branch that I would say are somewhat unsafe and there are certainly some poor areas. There are also lots of affluent old money areas (Hillshire Village) and there are lots of gentrifying areas, especially close to the I-10.

The boundaries of SBISD are of course searchable on sites like schooldigger.com, and these boundaries are different than those (imagined or real) of Spring Branch proper because they include a lot of the "Villages" which are some of the wealthiest areas in all of Houston and also a large swath of Memorial beyond the beltway and south of the I-10. SBISD has some of the best ranked schools in the state but also some of the worst. It is generally a district segregated by race and class and the good schools are predominantly white although there are more and more people of all races who are willing to live in condos and the like in order to get their kids into what are perceived to be the "good" schools. The "bad" schools in SBISD are predominantly Hispanic although not entirely.

Having sent my kid to one of the "good" schools (Memorial Drive Elementary) and one of the borderline schools (Spring Branch Middle), I have to say that I'm not too impressed. MDE provided a decent education but there is a lot of very "conservative Christian" stuff there, and there's a fair amount of unintentional racism/classism. The middle school is pretty much segregated along race/class lines and while my son gets a decent education and his teachers love him, I feel like the kids there starve for real, constructive educational and social engagement while at school. I can't speak to the high school situation although I plan to send my son to the middling Spring Woods High School because there will be a bit more cultural diversity there and tons more economic diversity. If you are looking for the "folks from all over the world" feel, you won't find it at places like Memorial. All that being said, Memorial is high ranked and I've met a few faculty there who impress me quite a bit. Good luck deciding!

Old 10-06-2015, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
Having sent my kid to one of the "good" schools (Memorial Drive Elementary) and one of the borderline schools (Spring Branch Middle), I have to say that I'm not too impressed. MDE provided a decent education but there is a lot of very "conservative Christian" stuff there, and there's a fair amount of unintentional racism/classism. The middle school is pretty much segregated along race/class lines and while my son gets a decent education and his teachers love him, I feel like the kids there starve for real, constructive educational and social engagement while at school. I can't speak to the high school situation although I plan to send my son to the middling Spring Woods High School because there will be a bit more cultural diversity there and tons more economic diversity. If you are looking for the "folks from all over the world" feel, you won't find it at places like Memorial. All that being said, Memorial is high ranked and I've met a few faculty there who impress me quite a bit. Good luck deciding!
Thanks for your honest and personal feedback on this. From the range of responses to my original questions, I am beginning to lean toward the conclusion that the educational component might only incrementally improve, if at all. I will, of course, continue on with my due diligence.

I also thank you for your share about the "conservative Christian" orientation. We have often appreciated living in Christian-dominant communities for so many reasons. But, we'd LOVE LOVE LOVE to have more neighbors and family friends (through our kids' schools) who are non-religious. It makes life so much more fun when you have more of your tribe around you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston