Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 07:00 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,530,761 times

Advertisements

There is apparently a taco embargo ongoing in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 07:50 PM

641 posts, read 802,975 times
Lack of franchises are a good thing. It gives a place culture. More mom and pops should sell tacos then

Old 10-01-2015, 08:54 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,045,915 times
I was just complaining to my wife that we needed more fast food chain taco options around Houston... I mean come on, it's nearly impossible to find Tex Mex in this town. Don't even get me started on finding a mattress store. 😀

Old 10-01-2015, 09:41 PM

25 posts, read 30,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I was just complaining to my wife that we needed more fast food chain taco options around Houston... I mean come on, it's nearly impossible to find Tex Mex in this town. Don't even get me started on finding a mattress store. 😀
So many snide comments in this thread. My main point was that, off the top of my head, there seemed to be 3 times the amount of fast Mexican food chains in a similar nearby city and that seemed a bit odd to me. Oh well.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:00 PM

26,196 posts, read 21,611,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdblaze View Post
So many snide comments in this thread. My main point was that, off the top of my head, there seemed to be 3 times the amount of fast Mexican food chains in a similar nearby city and that seemed a bit odd to me. Oh well.
Could it be that there are vastly more Hispanics in houston metro and those chains don't appeal to them? And if that's true, those who serve that population probably attract nonhispanics too with their authentic tacos

Old 10-01-2015, 10:36 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,975,332 times
I ll jump on this band wagon, but I am not asking for more taco franchise...
For the longest time, I had the same question of why Houston has such a small amount of big franchise companies, but they have it in Dallas.

Del taco came and went. I didn't like their food but it's nice to have other choice. What a stupid location for a 1st store.
El pollo loco finally came here.
Carl's JR. Finally made it.
In n out is in San Antonio, Austin and Dallas. But not here.
I like to see more dunkin donut.
Quick trip needs to come here, it's all over the Midwest and some in Dallas.
This gas station would kill all gas stations here.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:48 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,421,967 times
Another reason might be that Houston is the Rodney Dangerfield of cities. (He was the guy who often said "I don't get no respect, no respect at all!" Check him out on Wikepedia.)

I feel like there is some truth to this comparison. With cities (as it sometimes happens with individual people), sometimes the masses yearn for a place to scorn, whether it really deserves that or not.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:15 AM

25 posts, read 30,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Could it be that there are vastly more Hispanics in houston metro and those chains don't appeal to them? And if that's true, those who serve that population probably attract nonhispanics too with their authentic tacos
I suppose it could play some role. A quick look at the demographics shows Dallas and Houston to have almost identical Hispanic percentages. But Dallas does have a much larger suburban area to the north which could skew the numbers somewhat if it was added to the Dallas demographics.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:59 AM

12,059 posts, read 13,902,803 times
One of the unique things about Houston has always been the proliferation of mom and pop restaurants of almost every cuisine. Dallas has never had that, they sold their souls to chain restaurants. Even the so called good Mexican restaurants in the Dallas area are chains (even if local), whereas here they are individual mom and pop.

Also, Houston has some branches of chains that aren't in Dallas or Austin, like Brennans. There are also tons of Cajun places that don't exist in Dallas as well.

Overall, I've never been disappointed by Houston's food choices.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:03 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,530,761 times
There are taquerias and similar places about every half mile throughout Houston in heavily retailed areas. Instead of fast food chains though, Houston is virtually jam packed with Hispanic mom and pop restaurants. Not that Mexican fast food chains are hard to come by in Houston, because they aren't, but I would rather eat at one of those mom and pop restaurants any day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston