Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 02:13 AM

171 posts, read 246,186 times

Advertisements

Understood. So the one story I have in this regard pertains to Krystal Burger. It may or may not apply to other franchises.

There used to be a Krystal Burger up around 1960 and 45 maybe 5 years ago. The person that owned this particular Krystal had exclusive rights in Houston. For one reason or another, he never followed through and his Krystal eventually closed, but his exclusive rights remain for some unspecified time, or until that contract is bought out. Maybe some entity owns rights to this region of the country which prohibits any random LLC from opening any aforementioned franchise. As a former fattest city in the country, Houston should be prime for anything fast food related that any other city has.

Krispy Kreme should re-open in a month or so, and I keep hearing about In & Out, but have yet to see anything. Maybe no one wants to compete with Whataburger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 10:26 AM

25 posts, read 30,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisrock View Post
Understood. So the one story I have in this regard pertains to Krystal Burger. It may or may not apply to other franchises.

There used to be a Krystal Burger up around 1960 and 45 maybe 5 years ago. The person that owned this particular Krystal had exclusive rights in Houston. For one reason or another, he never followed through and his Krystal eventually closed, but his exclusive rights remain for some unspecified time, or until that contract is bought out. Maybe some entity owns rights to this region of the country which prohibits any random LLC from opening any aforementioned franchise. As a former fattest city in the country, Houston should be prime for anything fast food related that any other city has.

Krispy Kreme should re-open in a month or so, and I keep hearing about In & Out, but have yet to see anything. Maybe no one wants to compete with Whataburger.
Thank you, this is the type of info I'm looking for. And it sounds similar to the Del Taco story. Developer has exclusive rights and plans to open 40 locations. But the first location he chooses seemed poor to me. A tiny lot on a busy area of Westheimer. And now it's gone and the whole concept is probably dead in the water. Why not open up on a nice lot on a moderately busy street, perhaps close to a high school or something similar. I feel like the planners just do not understand Houston, and the chains fail before they ever take root here.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:36 AM

504 posts, read 1,150,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
If you desire to eat chain tacos in Houston, I don't know what to say.

Old 10-01-2015, 10:39 AM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdblaze View Post
How about for convenience... variety... I know Houston has a ton of good Mexican restaurants, I enjoy a good many of them. But my question was why the chains don't think the Houston market is viable. I can't believe our demographics, culture, etc. are all that different than Dallas.

Variety? A fast food taco is a fast food taco.

A perk for the med center maybe. We have one of the greatest med centers in the country and a steady diet of chain fast food cr&p ensures the med center stays busier than it already is.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:14 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
Quote:
No apprehension here, I eat at taco trucks regularly. I like the chiles toreados that you can't get from a taco bell or similar institution. But that wasn't the point of the original post. Maybe I should have used In and Out burger, Krispy Kreme, and 7eleven, etc. as examples. Ipuck's personal attack is uncalled for.
Little harsh yes, but folks here take extreme pride that this city has one of the best restaurants scenes in US. I personally not a big fan of Tacos, but I know enough Taco lovers to know there are so many places to eat awesome tacos here.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:16 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,984,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Not just tacos.

Office Depot and OfficeMax are very saturated in Houston. I have no idea why the FTC approved that merger but struggling to approve Staples' acqusition. I'm surprised that they overlooked the Houston market when they did not demand any divestitures! (Office Depot should have left OfficeMax alone and merged with Staples in the first place to avoid this situation.)

The Staples-Office Depot/OfficeMax merger would actually make Staples more accessible in Houston. They only came to Houston 5 years ago and grew to 8 stores. But those 8 stores are only in the North/Northwest suburbs, along the Gulf Freeway, and the lone store in Channelview. None in the heavily populated West/Southwest side. (The Sharpstown store closed recently.) Odd choice of locations!

Meanwhile in the rest of America, Staples is around every corner. Dallas is the only one in Texas to have been saturated with all 3 chains. San Antonio and Austin only have a few Staples stores.
Office supply retail business is dying that is why they are consolidating and also why it was approved to merge.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:23 AM

785 posts, read 1,234,675 times
I actually did try that Del Taco location but didn't like the food much, probably since I'm not a fan of California-style Mexican food. It might have been the location, but honestly there's so much competition on that stretch of Westheimer that lesser-known chains probably won't survive.

Old 10-01-2015, 11:35 AM

182 posts, read 350,369 times
Last thing I ever think living in Houston.

"OMG, where will I eat!!!???"

Old 10-01-2015, 03:39 PM

1,728 posts, read 3,442,593 times
Quote:
Thank you, this is the type of info I'm looking for. And it sounds similar to the Del Taco story. Developer has exclusive rights and plans to open 40 locations. But the first location he chooses seemed poor to me. A tiny lot on a busy area of Westheimer. And now it's gone and the whole concept is probably dead in the water. Why not open up on a nice lot on a moderately busy street, perhaps close to a high school or something similar. I feel like the planners just do not understand Houston, and the chains fail before they ever take root here.
This is like winning the lotto of the franchise world litterally: How Much Does a Chick-Fil-A Franchise Cost? - BusinessMart.com

Old 10-01-2015, 04:52 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,583,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lipbalm View Post
This is like winning the lotto of the franchise world litterally: How Much Does a Chick-Fil-A Franchise Cost? - BusinessMart.com
I'm not against their model but a reason why it's cheaper to get into one is you give up a higher percentage of revenue/profits, you don't own the real estate and you don't get to pick location as chik-fil-a picks and owns it all. I've still considered doing it though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston