Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2008, 07:59 AM

14 posts, read 43,119 times

Advertisements

My husband will be working on industrial road near Galena Park. We have 2 small kids and are very interested in a good family area with great schools, green space, and a community feel. We also want my hubby to be able to come home for dinner/soccer practice etc.. and go back to work if he has to work late so ease of commute is very important to us. The areas that I have looked at are:

Friendswood and Clear Lake areas (seem to have superior schools, and good growth potential)

Kingwood (or eastern Humble like Summerwood or Eagle Springs)- schools seem a bit spottier (some still very good) but area seems more established.

oh, our price range is likely 180-230 for a 4 br.
Please let me know if you think I have missed any key areas.

Thanks to all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 08:07 AM

6 posts, read 23,091 times
We faced a similar question and chose Fall Creek. What convinced us:
- Commute time/traffic is light even during rush hour (my commute to 2 Houston Center is usually 25-35 minutes--you'll have to drive it to believe it).
- New Fall Creek Elementary opens Aug '08 (we'll have a 2nd grader, Kindergartner and 2 year old then)
- Variety of price ranges and house styles

I'm not sure on the price range, but it's a buyer's market in FC. Come see!

Old 01-11-2008, 08:37 AM

3,702 posts, read 18,235,730 times
Of those 2 choices, Fall Creek area offers the best commute but you might also want to check out Deer Park. About a 15 minute commute to Industrial Road through the tunnel.

Old 01-11-2008, 11:34 AM

Great! thanks so much. Any recommendations on subdivisions, elementary schools, or areas less likely to require flood insurance (i will get it anyway of course but I understand that it is cheaper if not required).

Old 01-11-2008, 12:04 PM

In Deer Park, there are a number of new subdivisions along East Blvd if you like new homes. Beware of the ones at X Street and East Blvd. Really, some of the nicer homes IMO are the older ones just of off 13th (Norwood, Meadow Lark) and those off of San Augustine Canterbury Place, etc.). Nice, larger, older homes with big yards and trees. In the older part of Deer Park, you kind of have to look from street to street since that was pretty much how it developed. Erin Glen is also pretty nice. Depends on taste. Deer Park is a small city with all the amenities including a public pool, gym, and library with a lot of children's activities as well as activities for the elderly and homemaker's during the week. It is also safe pretty much across the board, but whatever you do, DO NOT speed. The police have to do something I suppose.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:27 AM

Does anyone have any information on Commute time from Friendswood or the Clear Creek area to near Galena Park (industrial road)?

Also, are there flood maps for Galveston County onlne?

thanks.

Old 01-12-2008, 10:39 AM

Depending on where in Friendswood, it would take 30-45 min. using 45 and Beltway 8 (toll road and bridge). The best place to look is here but you need a sepcific address:
FEMA Map Service Center -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston