Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 08:32 AM

15 posts, read 27,438 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys!

We just went under contract with Newmark homes at Riverstone Millwood section.

I am just concerned about upgrades! Is it better to spend money on that or not?

- Level 2 tile in Enterance, Family,Living,dining and kitchen
- 2 Coach lights
- 4 recess lights in family room
- Level 2 carpet in remaning area
- Fireplace - $3700 I really do not like to spend this much for fireplace. As in houston we never use it.Its just for show.

We have other couple of upgrades too. But I just have doubt on these upgrades. Is is worth to spend money on this with builder or can we hire somebody from outside?

Please advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 09:06 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,019,330 times
I just built with Newmark last year. The cost of the coach lights and recess lights are extremely negligible in the big picture. They were $60 each when I added them. You can't even get an electrician to come to your house for $240 anymore (The 4 you are describing), much less the cost of the lights and the labor involved to do it after the fact. Same with the coach lights. I added 2 at $170 each including the wiring. Those lights are sold online for $165 each for the exact same model, not including the labor it would cost you to install them after the fact.

For the carpet, make sure you spend your money upgrading the pad to the best pad you can get, and worry about the carpet if you have enough money. The padding is going to make the biggest difference. For the tile, you will be extremely limited in the base level. I was able to find tile I liked in a Level 3 (same tile is now a level 5) and save money there.

Fireplace is a completely personal decision, but I would never consider a house without one even in Houston. If you've never had one, you won't miss it but I love the aesthetic of one.

Old 12-15-2014, 11:48 AM

Thanks haudi!

I really appreciate your comments!

Old 12-15-2014, 12:25 PM

203 posts, read 337,216 times
I think the biggest upgrades would be the tile in areas you specified, recess lighting (extremely important), I added plenty in living room, game room, theater room, master bed, patio, and flood lights as well. I rather have everything already pre-wire than having it done later.

Granite and cabinets are also extremely important to me. I agree with "haudi", the padding it's important as well, I think the thickest will be the 1/2" and it's worth it. The fireplace seems a little expensive and some people wouldn't care for one. I myself upgraded the fireplace stone since the fireplace was already included in the base price.

One last thing I upgraded was the master bath.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:11 PM

What upgrades did you take in master bath?

Old 12-15-2014, 01:22 PM

1,133 posts, read 2,019,330 times
Mudset shower is a must!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashVi View Post

Old 12-15-2014, 01:36 PM

203 posts, read 337,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kashVi View Post
Mudset, tile and pattern, granite, cabinets, sinks, mirror, Jacuzzi tub, spa shower heads, pre-wire for TV and speakers (wife likes to take long showers).

Some of this stuff you can have done after, I just didn't want to have it done later a risk for contractors to mess up things.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:56 AM

Great!

Old 12-16-2014, 02:50 PM

So we are getting around ~124 /sq ft for the home with upgrades. Do you think it is a good value based on the current market? At riverstone, all builders are so high priced!

Old 04-13-2015, 05:18 PM

27 posts, read 30,038 times
Hi ,

we are also in the process of buying from Newmark but they only have a quick move in at creekstone section. Did you buy at creekstone or millwood, i guess the office is at millwood for both of them. They have given us a price for $127/sq ft with all upgrades. Let me know if you did any research and if you were able to negotiate anything? if you would recommend us to go with Newmark or if you see any issue buying with them. your reply is very important for for decision. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston