Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 11:08 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,708,647 times

Advertisements

Roach spray stinks! Boric acid is better. It's safer and keeps the bugs away altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 12:57 PM

499 posts, read 2,161,578 times
If you're driving here, avoid crossing Texas at night. Stop for the night. I hit a deer on i-10, hour west of San Antonio in my Honda. I was amazingly fortunate that it was small, I hit it's rear quarters bumping the fender, and breaking the head lights. With that low hood of mine, had I hit it square, and had it been an adult, it would have come up over the hood, and very likely broken the windshield, entered the cab and worst case would haved caused me to crash the honda at 60 mph, with my two little girls in the back seat.

I wasn't drowsy, or distracted, I was wide awake. Even with brights on, the deer was
on me in an instant and I had NO time to react other than to swerve a few feet. Don't be macho about it.

Anyway, love Texas (Kingwood), we've been here two weeks now and are thrilled.

Oh, another thing,
If you have kids who will be entering the school system, speaking for California, you will likely need more shots than you had in your home state. Get your kids immunization records updated and have them handy. Call well ahead of time to the School District and find out what you will need. my High School kids needed withdrawal forms, signed in each class. Texas schools will not let your kid in to the classroom until all conditions are met! Luckily we called ahead and had everything... Except those shots. One of them needed 5 shots before being allowed in, the others needed 4. And they still need a Chicken pox shot that all local clinics are out of and we had to drive about 30 miles to Cleveland to take care of it.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:59 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,767,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivax View Post
If you're driving here, avoid crossing Texas at night. Stop for the night. I hit a deer on i-10, hour west of San Antonio in my Honda. I was amazingly fortunate that it was small, I hit it's rear quarters bumping the fender, and breaking the head lights. With that low hood of mine, had I hit it square, and had it been an adult, it would have come up over the hood, and very likely broken the windshield, entered the cab and worst case would haved caused me to crash the honda at 60 mph, with my two little girls in the back seat.

And outsiders wonder why the taller trucks are popular here...

In Houston I don't have one as I don't see much use in them. But hill country area, different story!

Old 12-12-2007, 01:01 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,708,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
And outsiders wonder why the taller trucks are popular here...

In Houston I don't have one as I don't see much use in them. But hill country area, different story!
In times of flooding and high water maybe? I could see having a pickup coming in handy then! Maybe I need to get one...

Old 12-12-2007, 01:05 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,592,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Yes, roaches DO fly. We do bugs bigger and better in Texas.
Lol. Yes indeed.

I also don't suggest having your windows down when driving through heavily wooded areas because they're waiting to swoop in your car.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
In times of flooding and high water maybe? I could see having a pickup coming in handy then! Maybe I need to get one...
Possibly so, but it doesn't flood enough here for me to buy one. Trucks are not very comfortable rides, too. The big SUV's are much more comfortable but like trucks, can't get out of their own way in an emergency move. You'll have to make a few of those here for sure.

Many sedans have just as large a footprint if size is the concern, and ride/handle a hell of a lot better, accelerate the same and get twice the gas mileage. That's what I recommend around here, simply for the long commutes and pot holes you may encounter.

But if you got the space and money, break out the Tahoe for the rainy days, the converitble Z3 or Miata for those sunny spring/fall weekends, and use the large sedan for everything else!

Old 12-12-2007, 02:19 PM

8,965 posts, read 11,840,913 times
Advice for newcomers! I have some, being one myself. Before you decide to come, visit the area first. Nothing you read here, in travel guides, or books will come close to being there. I recommend that you come in the summer so you will know if what their hot weather is like and if you can stand it. If you decide to buy a house here, budget in property taxes and electricity cost. Cost of living here is not cheap. Harris county tax office forecloses many homes every month because people can't pay taxes.

Old 12-12-2007, 02:34 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,558,006 times
Rule of thumb: Rich people live in the burbs, wealthy Texans live in the city. When the two cross paths, don't be there!

Old 12-12-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
Rule of thumb: Rich people live in the burbs, wealthy Texans live in the city. When the two cross paths, don't be there!

There is a small, and I mean small percentage of wealthy folks in the city, compared to the overall population of 2+ million. Houston proper is what, about 25% impoverished? That doesn't include almost half a million undocumented people either? Just look at this site for information on that. It won't take a degreed statistician to figure out Houston has miles and miles of undesirable areas. Some of the wealthiest areas have separated themselves into their own cities completely within the city (Bellaire, West U, Villages, etc). They are very safe and relatively very expensive areas.

And there is also a lot of trash in the burbs, trust me.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:03 PM

I'll add this graph to the above so you can see I'm not a hater. Looks like the largest bracket for income is $10-15k per year, or near minimum wage workers.

If we stacked all the "rich" (6 digit +) earners, the bar would still be about 1/3rd the height of the $0-10k bar, or part-time minimum wage earners, unemployed folks, and bums.

What about the undocumented workers? Where do they fall in this? Can't be very well I'd think.

That said, you just gotta choose your area wisely among the miles and miles of crap!

https://pics2.city-data.com/hin2005/21292.png (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston