Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2017, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 12,033 times

Advertisements

***NOTE: Make online appointment about a month ahead. Fairly easy process and saves time when you physically go to DPS.

****BEFORE DAY OF APPOINTMENT*****

Practice time: 30 minutes (2 15-min sessions)
First practice: Day time: Drive around the DPS office and neighborhood area (Spring-Cypress & StoneForest), focus on STOP signs, paint markers, potholes, etc.

Second Practice: Late night, after DPS office is closed...no one is around. Use the actual location for parallel parking (towards north-east side of the building, next to Mexican restaurant). "No one is around"-> not true. There were 2 who were already practicing and 2 more waiting for their turn to practice -- at 10pm. In SPRING MEGA center, there are 2 spots for parallel parking. Although the drive-way has no-markers, it is used as a one-way street i.e. you enter the parking spot from north-east-corner (of course, parking spot must be on your right side). One parent felt that the first parking spot is 'tad more' difficult. Tried both spots --> they looked and behaved exact same (don't think DPS will have 2 spots that are somehow different). Did not measure the dimensions of the parallel parking, but may be around 23-25 feet. The yellow-marker-poles are in the center of front-boundary and back-boundary.

****ON DAY OF APPOINTMENT****
Appt time: 11am
Arrive on location: 10am (they ask you to come 1 hour ahead)
Leave location: 12pm
Total time: 2 hour

Inside DPS office --> extremely well maintained facility, courteous resources. If you are used to 'self-help' (i.e. easy to understand intuitive systems that you figure out by yourself), yeah, this place somehow didn't feel like that. But they provide ample manual assistance - Just ASK. They know their stuff. It had around 150-200 customers at any given time.

The paperwork clearly stated each person needs proof of citizenship (or GC), proof of living in Texas, SSN. But upon checking-in at the desk, they did not even ask for any. They were only interested in the main application and supplemental info. May be they already had my ID documents in file (submitted earlier??).

Here is the overall process
1. Enter the building and be-greeted. Be directed to counter-5 (for those who had previously made appointment)
2. Wait in line (5-8 mins)
3. Submit paper work, clarify questions, then told to be seated (they will text you when ready)
4. Within a minute, Got text that wait is 1 hour (was told to ignore it as it would be followed by another text)
5. After 5 min, Got another text to go to a specific counter.
6. At the counter, showed documents. They took photograph. Made payment. Told to join outside queue.
7. Joined outside queue. This is where the biggest wait was -- almost 20-25 minutes.
8. Then came actual test -- inspection, parallel parking, driving around in the neighborhood. Lasted about 15 minutes.
9. Went back inside, talked to greeting-agent, joined another queue. 5 min wait.
10. After 5 minutes, got the paperwork {official DL will be sent via mail}
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 12,033 times
Of the four corners at intersection of Kuykendahl and SPringCypress, 3 seem not amenable for driving test. Spring Cypress + Stone forest is commonly used because of neighborhood with STOP signs.

Parallel parking is on north-east corner of DPS building (next to some mexican restaurant).

Time to spend at DPS is about 2 hours. 20 min driving test, 15 min paper work, some wait time and prep-time.

Old 03-23-2017, 10:02 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,068,581 times
When I was a teen, I didn't have to take a driving test because I was parent-taught. I took a computer test before getting a permit, and after my dad finished the instruction I got a license. My sister had the same process. I bet it's changed though..

Old 04-03-2017, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 8,564 times
Default Spring mega center driving test experience

I did my road test on 03/29

First one lady came and did all the pre list check(turn signals, break... )

Next I did the parallel parking then we moved little front and did the backing then went to nearby residential area and did all the turns and stops then test was over

It was almost 15 min only and passed the test

Practice well !!!! Do it well !!!!

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: