Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 08:17 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,700,674 times

Advertisements

Price is the easiest way to see if it is a good area. If it is expensive it is good. If it is cheap it is bad. You can live in a bad area that will turn over. There area many areas in the Heights that are still like that. You just have to realize that change does not happen in a few years. It usually takes at least a decade. Areas farther from inside the loop will not turn around fast because the demand is low due to the location. Greens Point will probably never turn over. The hood has to stay somewhere.

There is no point in listing out the Memorial, Piney Point, Hunters Creek areas. Those are over a million. I don't even consider the Galleria, Bellaire, Meyerland area out of the loop. I would say memorial park is the true center of Houston as far as good areas are concerned. In general you have the good areas of Houston. It stretches from Voss/Hilcroft to Downtown. 610S to Oak Forest.

I think the East End and the southwest part of 5th ward will turn over next. That big KBR tract will be developed. They are going to do a lot of work on the bayou east of downtown starting in about 2-3 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2014, 08:33 AM

2,756 posts, read 3,814,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
I would only consider inside of any of the loops if the neighborhood is all new, including new sewer system and gated. $170k minimum, 2car garage, with a good backyard
You may want to consider Stepford.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:35 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,058,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRdad View Post
I would only consider inside of any of the loops if the neighborhood is all new, including new sewer system and gated. $170k minimum, 2car garage, with a good backyard
How about inside the beltway where entry level home is in tbe 300s? I hate this gotta be new and gated idea. Some of these areaa blow any mpc right out of the water in terms of value, appreciation, plot size, and area services. You couldnt unload the average new home on me for twice what its worth

Old 01-24-2014, 09:11 AM

1,728 posts, read 3,553,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
How about inside the beltway where entry level home is in tbe 300s? I hate this gotta be new and gated idea. Some of these areaa blow any mpc right out of the water in terms of value, appreciation, plot size, and area services. You couldnt unload the average new home on me for twice what its worth
inside the beltway, 300k in a 200-350k brand new/gated... yes I would. throw in a 3rd garage an I'm moving. We have to be near the chinatown area tho like sharpstown or westchase. I really need *new*.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:03 PM

116 posts, read 196,490 times
Two neighborhoods that come to mind that are beautiful: Briargrove Park and Garden Oaks.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:20 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,997,553 times
Other than Westbury/Willowbend, Maplewood, Meyerland etc (DJBoutit I got ya cover with a mention of those areas ) Garden Oaks, Independence Heights, etc.

On HAR plug into the single, family home map sections: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9 and 34 http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearchClass1.cfm

With a reasonable price. 1 and 2 will get you MPC Humble/Summerwood/Fall Creek/Eagle Springs etc. so with that you may as well sometimes be Westside. But other than those areas that go up to millions being MPC and all find something under $350 with steller schools numbers and diversity wise. If you're not in Humble you're not going to find much.

Be careful of 9 because you'll find Oak Forest homes and that doesn't count but try zips boarder in between 45 and 59. That's a nice Aldine/Greenspoint somewhat bordering coverage area yes? Or just take off 9 and search the rest.

Try it. Search INSIDE the Beltway. Don't get confused when you notice it's Pearland boardering. Move on North and stay in the Beltway but out of 610 and stay EAST of 45 and 288 and find some nice houses and excellent to "good" schools.

*crickets*

Most can't recommend anything but Oak Forest, Meyerland, etc and keep west of 45

Old 01-24-2014, 02:31 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,225,063 times
Lakes of Fondren, Fontenac, etc...real big homes on huge lots...but no one is recommending them

Old 01-24-2014, 02:42 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,918,561 times
Northwest side, inside beltway, just some examples:

Oak Lake Pointe:9510 Bayou Lake Ln,Houston, 77040-6898 - home value - HAR.com
(sold last year, nothing currently on market)

Laurel Creek: 9414 Spearman Dr, Houston, TX 77040 - HAR.com

Woodwind Lakes:9130 Woodwind Lakes Dr, Houston, TX 77040 - HAR.com

From this corner you can commute to downtown, Galleria, Energy Corridor, Willowbrook area (HP), IAH and The Woodlands all in under half an hour. (Would not recommend for Med Center commute though I do it pretty regularly and it takes 40 minutes mornings, 40-50 minutes evenings.)

Added: I hear you DejaBlue about east of 45. Do you know of any pocket neighborhoods there? I think the east end is starting to get a little more respect, I do hope so.

Last edited by fnh; 01-24-2014 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: Added comment

Old 03-29-2014, 05:16 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,082,714 times
I am aware that the east side was always more industrial/working class than the westside, even when it was white.

I wonder if anyone has considered Jacinto City or Galena Park by the ship channel, or South Houston.

Old 03-29-2014, 02:30 PM

226 posts, read 285,201 times
The area of Houston that's in the northeast side of town that's right by the beltway rarely gets mentioned. I'm not sure what the area is called, but Google Maps has the area named as Houston Suburban Heights.

Another area that doesn't get mentioned at all is the part of town that's south of loop 610, but west of 288. Many people automatically label this area bad due to neighborhoods like Sunnyside and South Park being on the other side of 288, but the area isn't bad at all. It's just massively underdeveloped and nothing much but sprawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston