Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 01:36 PM

95 posts, read 170,070 times

Advertisements

I've already signed a new home contract, but I'm getting some buyer's remorse. I think I might be looking for someone to make me feel better or tell me I made a huge mistake lol.

So I basically have two questions:

Does anyone know anything about the area between the Med Center and Pearland? From what I saw, looked pretty nice. Then I found out about it's proximity to Sunnyside. Is it still safe enough since it is on the other side of the highway? There is also talk about the city developing the area, but I can't find any information about it.

Has anyone had any good/bad personal experiences with Centex builders? The salesman seemed to say only good things, but of course he's a salesman...

Thanks for any responses!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 02:27 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,013,206 times
Personally I don't care for the area between pearland and the med center. That area hasn't developed to its full potential and is too close to sketchy areas for my taste but I know nothing about that specific neighborhood. I believe pulte homes owns centex now.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:51 PM

246 posts, read 895,647 times
Centex builders is the cheap builder like KB. They are owned by Pulte now...The quality at Katy is not very good at all.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:57 PM

292 posts, read 548,381 times
I would not live in that area of town.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:59 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,013,206 times
I've had buyers remorse before on a new build and opted (although it was hard) to lose my earnest money. while a lot to lose, it was better than the amount of a new home that I wasn't happy in.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:37 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,824,272 times
I know where you are at. For some reason...even though that whole area is so close to the med center and downtown...it has remained a pretty rough area. If you don't mind that, the commute and location is great. A while back I used to sell homes in the area between the med center and pearland. We constantly had doors kicked in and things stolen from our homes. Got to a point where we were putting steel cages around our AC units.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:01 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,244,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobeans2 View Post
I've already signed a new home contract, but I'm getting some buyer's remorse. I think I might be looking for someone to make me feel better or tell me I made a huge mistake lol.

Does anyone know anything about the area between the Med Center and Pearland? From what I saw, looked pretty nice. Then I found out about it's proximity to Sunnyside. Is it still safe enough since it is on the other side of the highway? There is also talk about the city developing the area, but I can't find any information about it.

Has anyone had any good/bad personal experiences with Centex builders? The salesman seemed to say only good things, but of course he's a salesman...

I would never buy there. If you have or are planning to have a family, please cut your losses and steer clear. That area is one of the worst in Houston. I've heard a lot of crime plaguing Pearland is from areas that are much much closer to this location. Also, the schools there are terrible. How much were you paying for the house? I can almost guarantee the neighborhood will go downhill and buying a newbuild in that location you are almost guaranteed to lose money. IMHO, buying in even Sharpstown would offer better chance for appreciation (those houses have already lost their value decades ago and are stable) and are safer, if you're away from the apartment complexes.

Unfortunately, since the development looks MUCH nicer than all of the surrounding areas, I all but guarantee there will be major crime issues there (burglaries, robberies, etc.) unless the community hires security. I don't mean to be a downer, but I predict many homeowners will sell at a loss due to crime and schools and the property values will decline, especially as the newness wears off. If you don't believe me, please drive by the area at night, especially Friday or Saturday nights. If I were you, I would carry.

That's just on the area alone. Regarding the builder, I have heard bad things about Centex - they build them as cheaply as possible. Given that there's a major boom in Houston competing for the trades, I would be cautious on build quality as well.

Last edited by Htown2013; 08-11-2013 at 10:09 PM..

Old 08-12-2013, 09:36 AM

Thanks for the responses. I guess the main reason why I was thinking of that area is because it is a very short commute and is between my job (galleria area) and my fiancee's job (pearland). I also do not have any children and figured it wouldn't be that bad. However, your responses have got me worried.

What about Pearland in general, what if I looked at homes that are closer into the suburb? I heard the schools in Pearland are good.

Also, if I do cancel the contract... is there no hope of getting the earnest money deposit back?

Old 08-12-2013, 09:50 AM

226 posts, read 285,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobeans2 View Post

If you think Sunnyside is bad, then you're gonna love the paradise of South Park.

The area that's between 610 south and Beltway 8 is a pretty rough and weird part of town. The part of the area that's close to 610 south is filled with crime, while the part of the area that's close to Beltway 8 (Minnetex/Almeda Genoa area) seems like you're in a middle of a rural small town.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:34 PM

Well South Park is even further East.

I read that the 288 area is super developing, adding stores and roads and stuff. Won't the area get nicer once it's more developed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston