Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:50 AM

156 posts, read 317,854 times

Advertisements

Please help me to understand this. Before we purchased the house, we went to two inventory houses which were exactly the same floor plan with us and the water softener was installed in the garage. Which I think it makes sense, since most of the water softener should install under the shade to protect it.

However, our soon to be house, the water softener installed outside, which directly under the sun, no shade at all. I thought it should be protected by sunlight, rain, and cannot be below freezing point or it will be ruined.

I have addressed this with the builder and they said it meant to be installed outside ????

When I looked at it, I was so depressed. It looked so unprofessional. I know that they tried to do a short cut, just to install it outside right at the water hose so it will be easier and less cost to them, but it looked so cheap IMO.

Could anyone please advise me if it is should be outside like this? sigh ... so depress now

Thank you everyone for your advice!!!

Regards,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 11:55 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,605,840 times
Although I'm fairly ignorant on this topic, I would tell the builder he must put it in the garage just like the show houses. UV light is bad for most plastics. Equipment exposed to the elements usually don't last as long. I wouldn't want to be doing any maintenance to it outside exposed to the heat and rain.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:58 AM

660 posts, read 1,616,259 times
yes, water softener outside will be exposed to elements which will cause the valve and all other parts to break sooner.

my water softerner is inside my garage but it wasnt installed by the builder.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:42 PM

504 posts, read 1,150,022 times
I've seen them both installed inside and outside in Cinco Ranch. Can't comment how installing outside affects long term reliability.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:54 PM

292 posts, read 547,764 times
The reason they put it outside could be that they forgot to install the water loop and drain for it in the garage. For it to be in the garage, there must be a drain for the drain water and the water loop so you can connect it in the garage. If you specified to have a water softener connections before they poured the foundation, then the builder screwed up and forgot to run the drain pipe for it. If you did not specify it before they pour the foundation, then they can't add a drain so they have to put it outside.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:14 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,871,270 times
IMO it is just a lazy install. I've seen them installed way after the home was built, without any kind of special plumbing for a water softener built into the house, and they were installed in the garage. The water inlet just needs to be tapped and run into the garage, install the equipment in there, plumb back to the house water inlet, and run a drain for the backflushing back outside. That drain can be plumbed into the waste water if it is close to the garage.

The best way to plumb it is to install it past the plumbing supplying the exterior faucets since you don't really need to spend money softening the water for your yard or outside uses. Maybe the pre plumbed houses are set up that way, but otherwise you would be softening all the water.

To me, putting it outside is like the cable TV people that install the lines on the outside of the house. Sloppy, lazy install for someone who probably does not care how their home looks.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:27 PM

156 posts, read 317,854 times
Thanks everyone! We purchase this house as an inventory home, so in the package it is also including the water softener which costs about $2400. I couldn't believe that they ended up put it outside like that. Looks so cheap and ugly.

What do you think I should ask them? Should they move it to the garage? which I doubt they will do it. Should I ask them to put some shade for the unit ? ..sigh .. just want to cancel the house so bad now ...

It's not only that but I can't believe that most of their lights switch all are crooked ... I don't know why they let it goes like that, for a brand name builder, why did they let their employees done a sloppy job like that ... are they waiting for the customers to say something then they will fix it ? ... or hoping the customers wouldn't see it so let it goes ? ... Geez ...

Have anyone has problem similar like this ? all light switch plates are crooked ?

Old 08-06-2013, 04:42 AM

23,971 posts, read 15,072,142 times
The warranty is voided by some makers if not installed inside. Better check what the warranty says.

Old 08-06-2013, 08:05 AM

292 posts, read 547,764 times
Hhhmmm. Makes you wonder about the quality of work in places not visible in that house...

Old 08-06-2013, 08:13 AM

682 posts, read 1,941,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies105 View Post
It's not only that but I can't believe that most of their lights switch all are crooked ... I don't know why they let it goes like that, for a brand name builder, why did they let their employees done a sloppy job like that ... are they waiting for the customers to say something then they will fix it ? ... or hoping the customers wouldn't see it so let it goes ? ... Geez ...

Have anyone has problem similar like this ? all light switch plates are crooked ?
Switches and outlets have slots which are used for mounting to the boxes so they have movement side to side and it is possible they just didn't make sure they looked straight. If that is the case then it is just an adjustment.

Now if the studs are crooked or the boxes aren't mounted to them right, then that is a different issue. But I'd bet the problem is what I stated above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston