Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 12:02 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,897,195 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
What does that have to do with justme02 (a Dallasite) who I have never seen co-sign a T&L ranking?
And you never will. Even if a list is unflattering to Dallas, if there is some sort of methodology where they arrived at their conclusion, I can see it. If there is a list with absolutely no methodology, forget it.

As for Houston being snotty, not in my opinion. I personally dont find most of Dallas snotty either. Its just areas like Uptown, Highland Park, or the southwestern corner of Plano where its much more present.

For the remark about the transplants making a city snobby, maybe and maybe not. Houston has a higher out of country birth rate, but Dallas has a much higher out of state birth rate among American born residents (particularly among Southern Californians, Detroiters, and those from the Southwest). I posted in another thread that DFW's out of state birth concentration is over 55%. Likewise, native born Texans are fleeing both Dallas and Houston at warp speed. Is that a reason why Dallas could be considered more snobby? I dont know. This Southern Californian doesnt seem to think so.

As for the inferiority complex, I personally think Houston does have one. Likewise, I think Dallas has a superiority complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 12:12 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,428,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post

As for the inferiority complex, I personally think Houston does have one. Likewise, I think Dallas has a superiority complex.
Well, you lost me here.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:22 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,499,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Will you be moving to Houston by any chance
Hadn't planned on it. Not trying to dig at Houston, it's just too big and sprawly like Dallas.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:14 PM

6,303 posts, read 7,579,439 times
Default Snob City (Houston)

Quote:

I don't know what kind of complex DFW has,( its possible both cities have the same complex) but I do know that Houston , deep down inside, has a superiority complex, and gets frustrated sometimes, that the world does not see how well founded, and obvious, the basis for our complex is. Thus like I posted in post #19 of this thread, some of us, at times, feel picked on

Last edited by Jack Lance; 07-03-2013 at 01:42 PM..

Old 07-04-2013, 07:22 PM

182 posts, read 300,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Don't mistake snobbiness for an inferiority complex.

Dallas gets way more national notice than Houston (other than energy). So we always feel as if we have to prove something.
That's true even though Houston has a lot more substance in my opinion.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:51 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,136,865 times
Out of college and moving from Tyler, I chose Houston over Dallas, being pretty close to Dallas, I visited often and had cousins I saw there often, I felt Dallas was pretty conservative and often felt they had all the "right" answers whereas, others, didn't have a clue. They seemed stuck on looks and what work they did and what circles they ran in.

When I moved to Houston, it seemed much, much larger not so "clicky" had been there many times too, cousins there too, but felt "come on down" attitude, they were very friendly, for a large city, for sure. I'm conservative, but felt Houston was more liberal, but not the attitude we have all the answers, as was felt in Dallas. I liked Houston the 25 years I lived there. But back in Tyler, this area, is now the place for me.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:54 PM

224 posts, read 530,702 times
Quote:
Likewise, native born Texans are fleeing both Dallas and Houston at warp speed. Is that a reason why Dallas could be considered more snobby? I dont know. This Southern Californian doesnt seem to think so.
Native Texans are fleeing at warp speed, what??

Old 07-04-2013, 11:06 PM

18,227 posts, read 25,511,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Houston has been ranked 17th snobbiest cities in the U.S. by Travel and Leisure Mag., and the highest ranked (or lowest depending on your point of view) in Texas. Austin was 19th in the country.

BTW San Francisco was #1, New York #2 and Boston #3, what do you think about that? It really surprised me that Houston would be ranked the snobbiest city in Texas

America's snobbiest cities - Yahoo! Travel
That article is a bunch of BS
calls Portland "snobby" because it has lots of flea markets, food trucks and microbreweries.
but at no point consider cities with gated communities with golf courses snobby.

Old 07-05-2013, 05:44 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,634,740 times
I see that a lot of people mention that Dallas gets looked at more than Houston and garners more attention at the national level. That may be true, but lost in that is the fact that most outsiders see us being in Texas as a huge negative. This most undoubtedly effects our perception to outsiders also.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:19 PM

6,303 posts, read 7,579,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FierySun View Post
That's true even though Houston has a lot more substance in my opinion.
I don't think you can claim that on one hand, Houston is the world center of this alpha industry (oil) and then on the other hand claim it suffers from an inferiority complex. Obviously there are people in Houston who have a inferiority complex, but that is on an individual basis. Houstonians are probably more honest about these feelings of inferiority, and don't face the peer pressure that other cities exert on their citizens to cover those feelings up.

If you truly feel Houston is a more substantive city, then you are not suffering from lack of municipal esteem, but may be disappointed that the city doesn't get more positive notice. And you have a good point. Especially if you are a local professional sports fan, you may develop a "disappointment complex", but please do not confuse that for a inferiority complex. Houston sees itself as a highly competent, professional, and talented city, where great things happen. How is that a inferiority complex?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: