Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:56 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
CONSTRUCTION !! BE DONE BEFORE THEN!!! Serious I was born and rasied here I an not recall a time that at least 30 % of downtown was not under some form of construction
And still will be. It's not like we're gonna build a bunch of stuff and have everything complete in Feb 2017, with nothing under construction. Projects have a life of their own, and there will be plenty of const still happening at that time.

The reason you think 30% of downtown is always under const is because something IS always under const. It won't stop for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H'ton View Post
Hopefully City Council will seriously reconsider their need for the University and Uptown Lines and the feasibility of getting it done by February 2017.
You're not serious, are you? Metro has killed that project. There is no funding for it. It will NOT even be considered again. While a Super Bowl is a big deal, it's nothing compared to the cost of the Univ line.

It's dead Jim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 09:08 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,026,589 times
3 words: Good. Public. Transportation.

For the love of Chipotle & Kim's Teahouse, PLEASE! install a metro rail somewhere, anywhere, please!

Old 05-21-2013, 11:19 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,149,542 times
I dont see the uptown line happing, but it might help fuel the push for The BRT system..

I would not call the University line dead, given that Houston is considering BRT for uptown , it leaves metro with only concerning itself with that line for the current plans..

Houston is the only major city to have to build it rail lines without federal funding thanks to Texan politicans constanly shooting it down.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:46 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,947,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
And still will be. It's not like we're gonna build a bunch of stuff and have everything complete in Feb 2017, with nothing under construction. Projects have a life of their own, and there will be plenty of const still happening at that time.

The reason you think 30% of downtown is always under const is because something IS always under const. It won't stop for this.

You're not serious, are you? Metro has killed that project. There is no funding for it. It will NOT even be considered again. While a Super Bowl is a big deal, it's nothing compared to the cost of the Univ line.

It's dead Jim.
Lol its definitely not dead.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:30 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:

It's dead Jim.
where do you guys come up with these things.

Metro didn't have funding for any of the lines after the red line was built. But that doesn't mean the subsequent lines were dead.

Metro had to fund the other lines themselves. Now that they regained federal help after they started the Red extension, the Purple and the green lines they can now refocus the money they were using for those into other areas.

Who told you the University line is dead?

Quote:
METRO recently received good news from the Federal Transportation Authority (FTA) in the form of an official federal Record of Decision (ROD) regarding the proposed University Line. This official decision signifies final approval of the environmental review process along the 11.3-mile portion of the overall light rail expansion project.
University Line FTA Approval

Old 05-22-2013, 10:06 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,228,136 times
Quote:
I would not call the University line dead, given that Houston is considering BRT for uptown , it leaves metro with only concerning itself with that line for the current plans...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
Lol its definitely not dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Who told you the University line is dead?
Here's one link...

After spending more than $70 million assessing construction of new light rail line, METRO decides to delay plans for university line | abc13.com

Actually, I was incorrect. It's not dead. Metro has tabled it for at least 10 years, until at least 2025, due to funding issues. So it's technically still listed as a project, with no funding and no activity for 10+ years.

It's dead. Does anyone really think in ten years we'll still be building this disaster of a rail line?

Old 05-22-2013, 10:57 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,929,248 times
Quote:
Here's one link...

After spending more than $70 million assessing construction of new light rail line, METRO decides to delay plans for university line | abc13.com

Actually, I was incorrect. It's not dead. Metro has tabled it for at least 10 years, until at least 2025, due to funding issues. So it's technically still listed as a project, with no funding and no activity for 10+ years.

It's dead. Does anyone really think in ten years we'll still be building this disaster of a rail line?
but isn't that what everyone in here has been saying? That the hope is that they will speed up construction of this line in time for the superbowl instead of the ten years or what ever it is? Why are you still saying its dead?

Is it Dead like our chances of hosting another superbowl was before yesterday?

If so then I like those odds

Old 05-22-2013, 08:12 PM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times
Quote:
The clock has started for Downtown Houston to get it crap together , retail, construction, urban projects

Green St( your on better get your retail weght up

Bars, and restraunats( your doing fine, lets hope you have staying power)

Comcast sports( I need you to get your crap staright before 2017)

CONSTRUCTION !! BE DONE BEFORE THEN!!! Serious I was born and rasied here I an not recall a time that at least 30 % of downtown was not under some form of construction
More bars and restaurants are opening in downtown past work hours. I'm seeing more people downtown after hours. It needs to be more retail but I do see more improvements downtown which is def. headed in the right direction.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:17 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,561,932 times
Quote:
Does anyone really think in ten years we'll still be building this disaster of a rail line?
Why not? Houston will need something besides buses in uptown eventually (half the reason they are trying to build the BRT was so they had the right of way in place for a future uptown light rail line i thought), and they will need a line to connect uptown to the rest of the light rail system. Rail is in Houstons future. We cannot rely on roads forever with our rapidly expanding population.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:49 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Meh....

All of these points will be non-issues come Superbowl week. I reluctantly ventured into downtown during the last Superbowl and was surprised. No one was talking about the pot holes, streets, businesses, etc. It was a huge party atmosphere, people were nice to each other and having a good time. Lots of activities going on, lots of parties, news crews with cameras, multiple stages and lots of beer and food.

That said, I think Houston will improve on some things this time, but I would not expect the city to fix much of the issues mentioned here just because of the Superbowl. I do think it will be even better than last time, and Discovery Green did not exist back then, so there is even more space for more activities.

If you did not attend last time, I'd suggest you do so this next time, maybe even riding your bikes in from the trails since traffic will be horrendous, there is no way around that. For those with negative thoughts about it, make it a point to join in and be a part of the party, these things do not come around often and you have four years to plan it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston