Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 07:32 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,776,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy2788 View Post
Exactly, what did they cut some 5 billion dollars? And they can't even return that to normal funding levels.
Sorry capadre, more money does not equal better schools. Studies have shown that parochial schools spend less per student then public schools and produce far better results. Why is that the left believes every single problem in this country can be solved with more money. Let me ask you guys something. If we had spent more money in Iraq, would we have produced a better outcome? Yeah, chew on that for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 07:35 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,776,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy2788 View Post
My point was, what is the difference between a state that has money and won't spend it compared to a state that doesn't have money and can't spend it? Either way, the residents will suffer.

The thing with Texas is, we always brag about how much money we have, but yet we always hear of how our education sucks and how our infrastructure sucks because we won't make investments in them, but Baby Jesus, how we can throw every bit of corporate welfare towards companies that would still have insane profits without such incentives! What is the point??

I mean, come on, when we have to entice companies to come and stay here with every bit of incentive under the sun, what does that REALLY say about us?
Well, CA doesn't have money and they still spend a fortune on their schools and their schools suck. And where I'm from in Chicago, we had one of the highest education budgets in the country and also had one of the highest high school drop out rates. Whoops...back to the drawing board.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:40 AM

105 posts, read 236,953 times
How can anyone complain about a surplus with a straight face? Just because there is extra money this year doesn't mean it needs to be spent somewhere immediately. The state is about $300 billion in debt. Maybe some of it could go towards reducing that...

Old 04-03-2013, 07:59 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,700,226 times
Google who has the best education system in the world. You'll find that the answer is Finland. ( Finland's Education System Best In World - Business Insider ). They have held that distinction since 2000 ( Why Are Finland's Schools Successful? | People & Places | Smithsonian Magazine )

In 2006, Finland spent $7,500 per student while the U.S. spent $8,700 per student ( The Finnish miracle - Academics & Activities | GreatSchools ). At the time, Texas was spending $9,825 per student ( PolitiFact Texas | State Sen. Wendy Davis says Texas ranks 44th in education spending per student ).

You can see that in 2008 and 2009, the US spent a greater percentage of GDP than Finland. ( Expenditure per student, primary (% of GDP per capita) | Data | Table ) Why do we rank 17th? ( US 17th In Global Education Ranking; Finland, South Korea Claim Top Spots )

I get sick of this belief that the more money we throw at education, the better our education system is. You could have a computer that is less than 3 months old on a student's desk, but if that student doesn't care about learning because his parents don't give a crap, that student will perform poorly regardless if they are driven to school in a limo.

The "we need to spend more on education" argument is only there to keep the "parents need to be more active in their children's education" argument from making the headlines. Once again, it's the idea that the government needs to be responsible for everything.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:13 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,672,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post

I get sick of this belief that the more money we throw at education, the better our education system is. You could have a computer that is less than 3 months old on a student's desk, but if that student doesn't care about learning because his parents don't give a crap, that student will perform poorly regardless if they are driven to school in a limo.

The "we need to spend more on education" argument is only there to keep the "parents need to be more active in their children's education" argument from making the headlines. Once again, it's the idea that the government needs to be responsible for everything.
My gosh, yes. A million times yes. Give a kid the world, and if they don't care or their parents don't care, it just doesn't matter. My mother and my mother in law are former public school teachers, and boy do they have stories to tell about students and parents who just don't care. As a mother of three, it makes me so sad and so sick at the same time.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:27 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,547,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
My gosh, yes. A million times yes. Give a kid the world, and if they don't care or their parents don't care, it just doesn't matter. My mother and my mother in law are former public school teachers, and boy do they have stories to tell about students and parents who just don't care. As a mother of three, it makes me so sad and so sick at the same time.
And this is why private schools have better performing student bodies overall. The parents care, the kids care,or the kids are forced to care by the parents or faculty,and they attend the school with like minded families.
Even the the better public schools can't claim the same consistency, as they have so many different types of students.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:48 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,732,872 times
What is the purpose of running that kind of surplus at the state level? Why not use that money where it is needed? 1/4 of all Texans are uninsured--the highest level in the nation.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:20 AM

561 posts, read 974,605 times
Maybe use that surplus to build a railway that links up the major cities? Anyone with me? Or maybe improve Houston (the biggest economical center) and pay for more rail that would connect the suburbs?

Anyone?

But maybe this state is too cheap for all of that, I would rather hear about a new infrastructure project benefiting Texans than the bragging rights of having a surplus.

Or is that thought process to liberal and hippie?

Old 04-03-2013, 09:31 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,547,023 times
No, pressing for infrastructure is more towards Constitutionalism. Infrastructure was one of the few things the government was supposed to handle..
Having taxpayers pay for other's health insurance is more hippie and progressive.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:41 AM

561 posts, read 974,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
No, pressing for infrastructure is more towards Constitutionalism. Infrastructure was one of the few things the government was supposed to handle..
Having taxpayers pay for other's health insurance is more hippie and progressive.

You're right.

Poor people that can't afford health care deserve to die. I'm not paying for them, that would be Communism! And old folks that have their healthcare coverage runout, ehh the hell with them too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston