Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2013, 08:54 AM

13 posts, read 41,918 times

Advertisements

I am currently in MO and we are planning our move to the Houston area. We have made two researching trips one in November and the other just recently this month. We wanted to build in a community in Manvel and found a plan, asked for price including the options we wanted etc. We got the price back from them on 3/14 but we were still out of town visiting other areas over spring break (which I informed them we would not be back home until Mon-Tues).

Made contact again on Wed 3/20 with some follow up tax questions etc. Then on 3/25 we came back with an offer a few thousand less than what they told us it would cost. Well today I get a call back from the sales person (who was a pleasure to deal with by the way) stating she is being told they can't honor a price that is a week 1/2 - two weeks old. I'm very disappointed at this point and need to understand if this is standard practice in the area.

Both my husband and I have built homes before and never encountered this situation. I understand being given a price and you let a considerable amount of time lapse things may change. They keep telling me the costs are going up every day but cost fluctuate up and down, and I don't see them offering to lower the price in my favor.

I appreciate any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 09:01 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,706,843 times
The housing market is very strong in Houston now. That coupled with material costs that do fluctuate. Well that is how it goes.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
The housing market is very strong in Houston now. That coupled with material costs that do fluctuate. Well that is how it goes.
That being said, is it not customary to inform a customer the price is valid for X number of days? I'm being told if they offer a price say March 31 and we sign April 1 the prices may change and the offer will need to be re-quoted.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:25 AM

8,898 posts, read 20,050,714 times
Until you sign a contract you will continue to have the price change upwardly as the community has price increases. You will never see a decrease because new homes aren't going down in price, only up.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:28 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,671,772 times
We bought an inventory home in Feb., and saw prices jump a lot in the span of a week. So prices surely are not stagnant. You need to get what the new offer is today and negotiate from there quickly. Good luck!

Old 03-27-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Until you sign a contract you will continue to have the price change upwardly as the community has price increases. You will never see a decrease because new homes aren't going down in price, only up.
Okay so this is customary for the area. Well that's what I needed to know.

Thank you for the information.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:38 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,706,843 times
It is not customary for the area. It is the strong housing market. Many houses are going well above the asking price. Bidding wars are starting to become common again. There is just a shortage of inventory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: