Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 09:14 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,769,649 times

Advertisements

Assuming you are speaking of the areas "around" the Heights. The Heights proper is already there. It is what it is. Like any inner city neighborhood it is constantly evolving, but in no way can it be categorized with some of the wards.

[The Heights probably has another 20 years or so to go.]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 09:21 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,694,730 times
It is not even close to already there. Though I agree it is nowhere near the wards.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:09 PM

Clarification as I don't want to come off as ignorant,
The heights proper is largely comprised historic districts and mostly residential, not to mention "dry". There is really not much that can change here besides more updated shopping along 19th and 20th (which will come and go as it always has) or remodeling\rebuilding the deteriorating homes. The idea is to keep it protected to an extent. So as I stated, it is what it is and the conservation board will make sure of it.

I was only speaking about the Historic section where i lived for 20 years. I was not including the fringe areas. Although they do have an effect overall they are not the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
It is not even close to already there. Though I agree it is nowhere near the wards.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:32 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,694,730 times
Don't get me wrong. I love the Heights, but it still has pockets of bad areas in it. The schools are not very good. It still has issues in my opinion. On the flip side I think it is one of the best areas to live in Houston.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:41 PM

No worries, I wasn't getting you wrong. I was mainly providing a reasoning for my statement. I do agree with you on the below comment. No arguing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
Don't get me wrong. I love the Heights, but it still has pockets of bad areas in it. The schools are not very good. It still has issues in my opinion. On the flip side I think it is one of the best areas to live in Houston.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:50 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,917,993 times
Lets stick to the Wards. The Traditional heights really isnt one of them. The realtors are starting to call parts of the 6th Ward near Washington "the heights" though.

Old 03-27-2013, 01:31 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,725,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
Clarification as I don't want to come off as ignorant,
The heights proper is largely comprised historic districts and mostly residential, not to mention "dry". There is really not much that can change here besides more updated shopping along 19th and 20th (which will come and go as it always has) or remodeling\rebuilding the deteriorating homes. The idea is to keep it protected to an extent. So as I stated, it is what it is and the conservation board will make sure of it.

I was only speaking about the Historic section where i lived for 20 years. I was not including the fringe areas. Although they do have an effect overall they are not the same.
I just want to add a clarification about the heights. It is an area that is no more or less historic than, for instance, the fourth ward. The fourth ward contains volumes of history, especially in the area once known as freedmen's town. The heights' buildings get restored while the fourth ward gets those giant towering condo-like structures because of the rhetoric associated with each location. The heights' rhetoric is a rhetoric of "historic preservation" while the rhetoric attached to the fourth ward is "gentrification." As to the socioeconomic valences of these terms, well you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out that whereas the rhetoric of "historic preservation" is associated with previously wealthy areas the rhetoric of "gentrification" is associated with previously poorer areas. But to presume that because an area was once poor means that its history is not as valuable is a serious problem, imho.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:15 PM

2,188 posts, read 3,216,477 times
you talk to some people bellaire was considered the "poor-mans" town when compared to Lamar, Lee and Sharpstown at one time.

4th ward was too close to downtown so the "business" folks made it a point to clean it up. 5th ward had the working class black who owned their land and it was far enough not to be a threat to downtown so it was forgotten. The Heights is close to Memorial Park, other areas where money people like to hang....once they found ways to run the older residents out, it changed overnight.

Kids moving to the city cause a suburban school is "bad" is a phony excuse as kids in HISD go everywhere but their zoned school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston