Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2013, 09:38 AM

6,292 posts, read 7,500,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy2788 View Post
Can you imagine the faces on everyone if the rodeo ever did for some reason abandon us after all these demands?? LOL.
Where in the hell would they go ? Where else are they going to get packed houses at Reliant Park for two weeks straight? Any other city that can support a Rodeo has one allready.

Who is demanding what from whom? It is the Rodeo that is demanding we do this or that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 10:52 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Where in the hell would they go ? Where else are they going to get packed houses at Reliant Park for two weeks straight? Any other city that can support a Rodeo has one allready.

Who is demanding what from whom? It is the Rodeo that is demanding we do this or that?
It was a hypothetical question.

And yes, I should have made my wording better, it is the rodeo demanding a lot recently.

Old 04-02-2013, 12:20 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,696,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
There have been "good ideas" put forth. I suppose wether an idea is good or not is subjective to say the least. But to dismiss the CS&L option as "preposterous" shows that you have a blind bias against any redevelopment of the Dome and probably are a Rodeo cronie. lol

As far as the Rodeos percieved power. I think they are more the Hatchet man on this, but I do think they, along with the Texans are interested in making themselves even more indespensible to Reliant Park, so that they can leverage that power for some future negotiation with the county. Spending this $270 million today may save us from spending even more in extortion money at some future date.
I am no Rodeo Cronie. I actually think it is stupid. Though I do love to go to cook off. Besides that I have only been to rodeo once in my life. I was forced to go too. I have friends that love being on rodeo committees and stuff. I will say that is brings in a lot of money to our economy. I think it is a tradition here. Though personally, I could careless if we ever had it again.

I have no problem with a redevelopment of the Dome. I am just realistic with what needs to be done with a 60 year old structure. I have some idea because I majored in engineering and I am now a developer. Sometimes it is easier to just start from scratch. Many times it is also cheaper. I have been reading about this stuff for years. I like to keep up with what is going on in Houston. I ready about it daily from swamplot, etc... I just don't see this happening.

I think there are so many other more important things we could spend our money and time on in Houston. We have so many parks in Houston that need work. I know the development of Buffalo Bayou needs more money. I hope the river walk park of it gets built.

Level it and lets move on with life. Concentrate on things that we can actually improve.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schumacher713 View Post
I am no Rodeo Cronie. I actually think it is stupid. Though I do love to go to cook off. Besides that I have only been to rodeo once in my life. I was forced to go too. I have friends that love being on rodeo committees and stuff. I will say that is brings in a lot of money to our economy. I think it is a tradition here. Though personally, I could careless if we ever had it again.

I have no problem with a redevelopment of the Dome. I am just realistic with what needs to be done with a 60 year old structure. I have some idea because I majored in engineering and I am now a developer. Sometimes it is easier to just start from scratch. Many times it is also cheaper. I have been reading about this stuff for years. I like to keep up with what is going on in Houston. I ready about it daily from swamplot, etc... I just don't see this happening.

I think there are so many other more important things we could spend our money and time on in Houston. We have so many parks in Houston that need work. I know the development of Buffalo Bayou needs more money. I hope the river walk park of it gets built.

Level it and lets move on with life. Concentrate on things that we can actually improve.
Calling you a Rodeo cronie was a joke BTW.

Yes the Rodeo does have a cultural and economic benefit to the community, but you will have to show me how they will be harmed by us not capitulating to their demands. The Texans already got their digital scoreboard to smoze the Superbowl, why didn't they let us know then that we would have to tear down the Dome as well to consumate that deal? The CS&L proposal takes into account the possibility of Houston landing the 2017 Superbowl. Thats why they say to take advantage of these improvments in time for that game we need to start work soon, which is another reason the opponets want to stall any renovation plans knowing soon the only option we will have that could be ready for 2017 is the Parking lot option.

How much would it cost to build a structure with over 400,000 square feet of floorspace and over 200 vertical feet of clearance without support columns from scratch? I bet a good deal more than 270 million. Guess what,? we have a structure just like that today! And we are the only city in the USA that has a space like that its called the Astrodome.

I'm sure your knowledge of Engineering is adequate for whatever it is that you develope, but I'm sure the people at CS&L have a good bit of Engineering expertise themselves and on top of that they probably understand the Visitor and Convention landscape in this world quit a bit better than either of us. If you can show me that they are somehow biased, I'm willing to listen, but I would trust their objectivity a lot better than I would the HLS&R or the Texans on this issue.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:53 PM

It might cost more than 270mil, but the long term costs will be much much lower. The dome is not energy efficient. That 200feet of clearance has to be cooled. I am sure there are cracks where air leaks out all over. It probably has no insulation. It aging structure that will require lots of repairs which add up. You also get those ever fun surprises when renovating. I would like to see the long term costs over the next 30 years. Not just how much it takes to renovate. No matter what you do that thing will still be ugly on the outside. The layout is very poor to renovate. It was built to be a stadium, not a convention center. Yes, the Summit was reused. It is also tiny in comparison. I am not siding with the Rodeo or the Texans. I want what is realistic. I don't want to wait another decade and be back to square one.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
It might cost more than 270mil, but the long term costs will be much much lower. The dome is not energy efficient. That 200feet of clearance has to be cooled. I am sure there are cracks where air leaks out all over. It probably has no insulation. It aging structure that will require lots of repairs which add up. You also get those ever fun surprises when renovating. I would like to see the long term costs over the next 30 years. Not just how much it takes to renovate. No matter what you do that thing will still be ugly on the outside. The layout is very poor to renovate. It was built to be a stadium, not a convention center. Yes, the Summit was reused. It is also tiny in comparison. I am not siding with the Rodeo or the Texans. I want what is realistic. I don't want to wait another decade and be back to square one.
I would think that 270 mil will get us a new roof and effecient HVAC, asbestos abatement ect.. If not I would be the first to reject such a proposal. Also I would expect the numbers to be verified by a bidding process, but the same would be the case with any proposal under consideration.....

If 270 mil gets us a like new facility that preserves the inner space of the Dome then I am all for it..

Old 04-02-2013, 06:23 PM

I don't mind giving it a closer look. I do think that if we have to vote on this it will fail.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:58 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
I don't mind giving it a closer look. I do think that if we have to vote on this it will fail.
270 million dollars?!? It will fail quicker than NBC's latest sitcom.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
lol... Yea, we just floated 2.7 billion dollars worth of projects with bonds in the last election. There is zero chance of this or just about anything that costs a lot of money passing.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Why doesn't somebody start one of those polls and we can test the waters so to speak. I would, but either I don't know how, or I am not allowed to for some reason,(I have searched for a new thread or poll link to no avail)

I would suggest a poll that identifies the voter so we can discount the out of county voters.

Suggested wording

Would you vote for a bond issue to repurpose the Astrodome ?

Yes, I would vote to spend any amount neccessary
Yes, I would vote to spend up to 270 million
No, I would only vote to save the Dome as is.
No, I would only approve of funds to tear it down
No I would only approve of the parking lot for pickup trucks solution

It is totally unscientific but may shead some light on how people are thinking....

Last edited by Jack Lance; 04-03-2013 at 08:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston