Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 04:17 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,153,486 times

Advertisements

Well the name and the current business model..
Houston Pavilions to get a new name, rebrand - Houston Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 04:59 PM

20,525 posts, read 33,611,394 times
Should have built the residential units. Big mistake not to do that but understandable due to the economy.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:10 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,283,083 times
What's the real story? Last time I saw it on a visit about a year ago, there was lots of empty space. Has it filled up? Are they trying for a re-boot?

I'm just learning Macy's closed (yes, I'm behind the curve) and if the Pavilions is struggling, I am thinking DT is going in the opposite direction it should.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Should have built the residential units. Big mistake not to do that but understandable due to the economy.
Who knows it might be in the new plans.. Their throwing a big shindig to announce the new direction.. you dont normally do that unless your planing on going big..

I will be going since I am off that day

Old 03-05-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
What's the real story? Last time I saw it on a visit about a year ago, there was lots of empty space. Has it filled up? Are they trying for a re-boot?

I'm just learning Macy's closed (yes, I'm behind the curve) and if the Pavilions is struggling, I am thinking DT is going in the opposite direction it should.
The pavillion is doing fine the majority of business their are doing fine.. mainly the eneterment venues

Books a million was struggling form the go, most big book stores are

macy's lease was up at the old place and the owners had plans to tear down the building to build a new tower anyway.. Macys wants to stay downtown but wants a smaller foot print.

Dt itself is stablizing slowly.. more and more places are opening from bars to places to eat.. its slow but its foward

what happened to the pavillion was the economic down turn which caused a number of stores to back out at the last minute.

It was bought out by mid way in august.. given their track record if anybody can riase pavillion profile its them

Old 03-05-2013, 05:22 PM

^^^ Then what do you think is behind the re-branding? Businesses that are successful usually do not change their brand. Exxon or Shell are not gonna change their names anytime soon.

I've not trying to start anything. I just think there is a story here. Perhaps others know.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:33 PM

Quote:
^^^ Then what do you think is behind the re-branding? Businesses that are successful usually do not change their brand. Exxon or Shell are not gonna change their names anytime soon.

I've not trying to start anything. I just think there is a story here. Perhaps others know.
Pavlllion itself the complex went into foreclose due to the owner not being able to pay back the load. they where counting on a large number of tenents. but down turn made that fall thru..

The business that are their are doing fine, but the complex over all has been deemed a failure. Its not where it is suppose to be when it was sold to the city of Houston..

So when they got bought by mid-way they decided it needed a re-launch ..

You see it all the time a club , bar etc that is part of a complex is doing fine but the complex over all is empty...

Remeber the maqre did the same thing they re-branded

Old 03-05-2013, 07:23 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,978,397 times
Quote:

That's not the same thing.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:40 PM

137 posts, read 217,220 times
Quote:

You can't compare the two, they are two totally different situations. A new owner purchased the property and they do not like the name the previous owner gave it so they are changing it.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornhouston View Post
You can't compare the two, they are two totally different situations. A new owner purchased the property and they do not like the name the previous owner gave it so they are changing it.
While you might not like it or agree, actually, I can compare the two if I want to.

It appears it's perhaps not just the name that's a problem: "The Pavilions near-foreclosure, combined with the closing of neighboring tenants and a pre-existing dearth of walking traffic within the area, did little to create a successful retail environment." A-Million Problems? Houston Pavilions owners say massive book store closing is no biggie - 2012-Dec-27 - CultureMap Houston

If I bought a flop for pennies on the dollar, I'd re-name it too. It's common practice and often a savvy strategy when companies go into failure, to use rebranding to try put the bad juju behind them (http://www.neatorama.com/2009/09/10/...d-reputations/). If I bought a success, however, be it as large as Exxon or as local as Ninfa's on Navigation, I'd keep the brand. But that's just me . . .

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 03-05-2013 at 09:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston