Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:53 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,460,188 times

Advertisements

Poorly-timed with a bad design, that's the Pavilions. Hopefully the new owners can do something about it, but it needs more than a big party and "buzz" to make it successful. It needs a destination retail tenant (like House of Blues, which along with Lucky Strike has provided the bulk of its traffic).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 09:20 PM

137 posts, read 219,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
While you might not like it or agree, actually, I can compare the two if I want to.

It appears it's perhaps not just the name that's a problem: "The Pavilions near-foreclosure, combined with the closing of neighboring tenants and a pre-existing dearth of walking traffic within the area, did little to create a successful retail environment." A-Million Problems? Houston Pavilions owners say massive book store closing is no biggie - 2012-Dec-27 - CultureMap Houston

If I bought a flop for pennies on the dollar, I'd re-name it too. It's common practice and often a savvy strategy when companies go into failure, to use rebranding to try put the bad juju behind them (Companies Renamed To Hide From Bad Reputations - Neatorama). If I bought a success, however, be it as large as Exxon or as local as Ninfa's on Navigation, I'd keep the brand. But that's just me . . .
Your right you can compare the two if you want to.

Old 03-05-2013, 10:00 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,160,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
Poorly-timed with a bad design, that's the Pavilions. Hopefully the new owners can do something about it, but it needs more than a big party and "buzz" to make it successful. It needs a destination retail tenant (like House of Blues, which along with Lucky Strike has provided the bulk of its traffic).
its not a party for party sake its to promote the new direction.. like I said you dont do a big hush hush event unless your got something up your sleeve

Old 03-05-2013, 10:52 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,165,708 times
What it needs is what I said since before it opened--it needs a wrecking ball to knock out the walls facing the perimeter streets, to address them. Houston Pavilions, as it now stands, is a half-empty mini-mall, minus the air conditioning and convenient parking. I called that a bad idea, doomed to fail 5-6 years ago. What else would you expect with this design?

Old 03-05-2013, 10:58 PM

2,937 posts, read 5,302,574 times
Quote:
While you might not like it or agree, actually, I can compare the two if I want to.

It appears it's perhaps not just the name that's a problem: "The Pavilions near-foreclosure, combined with the closing of neighboring tenants and a pre-existing dearth of walking traffic within the area, did little to create a successful retail environment." A-Million Problems? Houston Pavilions owners say massive book store closing is no biggie - 2012-Dec-27 - CultureMap Houston

If I bought a flop for pennies on the dollar, I'd re-name it too. It's common practice and often a savvy strategy when companies go into failure, to use rebranding to try put the bad juju behind them (Companies Renamed To Hide From Bad Reputations - Neatorama). If I bought a success, however, be it as large as Exxon or as local as Ninfa's on Navigation, I'd keep the brand. But that's just me . . .
It sounds like you're really fishing trying to make it a bigger deal than it really is. Houston Pavilions failed primarily because of the timing of when it opened. It opened right at the beginning of a recession. We'll hope to see what happens, hopefully talk of residences will come about again.

I keep hearing that downtown is about to take off.

Old 03-06-2013, 04:54 AM

683 posts, read 847,433 times
Links have been provided to why it failed. Those are just facts. Economic downturn and poor design. No one seems to be fishing.

Hopefully they can turn this building inside out....so there can be more appealing and draw more people downtown.

Old 03-07-2013, 08:42 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,529,520 times
Quote:
Exxon or Shell are not gonna change their names anytime soon.
Exxon might go back to Esso. Don't want to lose sales for Americans visiting Canada! (Plus nobody under the age of 40 remembers why Exxon came about.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston