Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 07:27 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,429,633 times

Advertisements

What you are witnessing is a Demographic shift. It is happening all over america. In the Houston area a lot of neighborhoods go through cycles. One demographic seems to follow the newer construction and moves further out. The older neighborhoods left behind often go through a demographic shift.

While the new development brings in new retail and grocers some of the upscale businesses in the older areas pack up and leave in order to follow the new growth. the voids are often filled with places like Fiesta Mart. taqueria arandas. Pollo places, Tatoo parlors, 24hr video stores, Liqour stores, Check cashing places, GAME ROOMS, 3.99 hair cut places, Washaterias, Carnecerias etc.

If you want to see good examples of this go look at the 1960/Champions area, Mission Bend/Towne West, Alief amd the list goes on.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:27 PM

427 posts, read 952,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
I hope this is a joke because it sounds like the mark of your typical ignorant bigot on this forum.

I shop at three Fiestas rather regularly (the one on 14th, the one on N. Shepherd, and the one on Airline) and have never been accosted by anyone for any reason which is a HUGE improvement to me over the people trying to sell all sorts of crap outside of the Signature Kroger on 11th. Certainly there are no day-laborers or anything in the parking lots.

No one has ever tried to shove any type of culture down my throat at Fiesta. No one has ever bothered me there at all, and although I am Hispanic, the Mexican community here assumes I am white because of my appearance. No one tries to speak Spanish to me unless it is a worker whose assistance I need and they don't have a great command of English yet.

The produce is sometimes half the cost of what it would be at Kroger or Randall's and there is such a wide variety of it...especially compared to the neighborhood HEB...and it's all coming from the same places. The food they serve inside is cheap, fresh, and delicious (barbacoa, pupusas, chiles rellenos...and they have daily specials with REAL food on a sizable plate lunch for only about $4) and their international selection is quite impressive for your average neighborhood grocery store, including Latin American stuff of all varieties, African, Middle Eastern, and Indian.

I think that only a complete idiot would say that Fiesta attracts "undesirables". Seriously...what the hell? They build these things after research and studies that tell them that a location would be good for the demographic of the area. Sugarland makes tons of sense because it is about the only suburb that isn't chock-full of sheltered, ignorant dumbasses and is actually diverse.
Why not just make your case, leave out the inflammatory language, and eliminate the insults aimed toward the rest of the city? You sound as if you're describing yourself in your closing sentence.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:15 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,159,019 times
Is this a joke ???

Old 03-03-2013, 08:27 PM

2,756 posts, read 3,839,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
I hope this is a joke because it sounds like the mark of your typical ignorant bigot on this forum.

I shop at three Fiestas rather regularly (the one on 14th, the one on N. Shepherd, and the one on Airline) and have never been accosted by anyone for any reason which is a HUGE improvement to me over the people trying to sell all sorts of crap outside of the Signature Kroger on 11th. Certainly there are no day-laborers or anything in the parking lots.

No one has ever tried to shove any type of culture down my throat at Fiesta. No one has ever bothered me there at all, and although I am Hispanic, the Mexican community here assumes I am white because of my appearance. No one tries to speak Spanish to me unless it is a worker whose assistance I need and they don't have a great command of English yet.

The produce is sometimes half the cost of what it would be at Kroger or Randall's and there is such a wide variety of it...especially compared to the neighborhood HEB...and it's all coming from the same places. The food they serve inside is cheap, fresh, and delicious (barbacoa, pupusas, chiles rellenos...and they have daily specials with REAL food on a sizable plate lunch for only about $4) and their international selection is quite impressive for your average neighborhood grocery store, including Latin American stuff of all varieties, African, Middle Eastern, and Indian.

I think that only a complete idiot would say that Fiesta attracts "undesirables". Seriously...what the hell? They build these things after research and studies that tell them that a location would be good for the demographic of the area. Sugarland makes tons of sense because it is about the only suburb that isn't chock-full of sheltered, ignorant dumbasses and is actually diverse.
Thanks Glorplaxy. I think some of these folks need to leave the echo chamber and get some air.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:41 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,159,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyDavis View Post
Why not just make your case, leave out the inflammatory language, and eliminate the insults aimed toward the rest of the city? You sound as if you're describing yourself in your closing sentence.
I would take your post serious but you did not level the same charges at the OP.. So you basic under cut your own stance.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:48 PM

292 posts, read 1,070,517 times
I work not to far from that Fiesta...never have a problem in that parking lot with anyone coming up to me trying to sell me roofing much less anything else.

Freedom of choice....no one says your racist aZZ has to shop there.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:02 PM

686 posts, read 1,172,577 times
If you think it's ghetto, nobody is forcing you to shop there.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:02 PM

18,218 posts, read 25,487,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
And forget about Texans moving to Sugar Land. All Dynamo, all the time.
Nice,
as if people can't be both Texans and Dynamo fans

Here's two of the last three tweets from the Houston Texans
Quote:

1. Mar 3 Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans
    May that be the 1st of many this year! RT @HoustonDynamo: There's the final whistle and the Dynamo have taken the season opener 2-0!

Expand

2. Mar 3 Houston Texans ‏@HoustonTexans
    Best of luck to @HoustonDynamo in their 2013 opener vs DC United, which is currently underway at BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston

Last edited by Dopo; 03-03-2013 at 09:11 PM..

Old 03-03-2013, 09:15 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,375,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd433 View Post
What you are witnessing is a Demographic shift. It is happening all over america. In the Houston area a lot of neighborhoods go through cycles. One demographic seems to follow the newer construction and moves further out. The older neighborhoods left behind often go through a demographic shift.

While the new development brings in new retail and grocers some of the upscale businesses in the older areas pack up and leave in order to follow the new growth. the voids are often filled with places like Fiesta Mart. taqueria arandas. Pollo places, Tatoo parlors, 24hr video stores, Liqour stores, Check cashing places, GAME ROOMS, 3.99 hair cut places, Washaterias, Carnecerias etc.

If you want to see good examples of this go look at the 1960/Champions area, Mission Bend/Towne West, Alief amd the list goes on.
This is typical of urban sprawl and won't go away until the entire architecture of this design is completely replaced. It will always be this way, unfortunately.

Also, this thread is a tasteless joke to stir up more pointless BS.

Old 03-03-2013, 09:59 PM

498 posts, read 842,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Gone will be the days when you could shop without having some guy named Paco trying to shove this culture down your throat.
10 years in Houston and I've yet to meet anyone named Paco - and I shop at Fiesta when convenient. What am I doing wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston