Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 01:48 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,585,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy4life View Post
It attracts the less desirables to put it lightly.
I don't think anyone from Katy would shop at the Sugar Land Fiesta, so Sugar Land won't have to worry about less desirable people stopping by.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:27 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,451,938 times
Sugar Land is about as ethnically diverse as Houston suburbs come, so it's not real surprising that Fiesta mart would want to be there.

Old 03-03-2013, 02:36 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,585,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Football View Post
Sugar Land is about as ethnically diverse as Houston suburbs come, so it's not real surprising that Fiesta mart would want to be there.
All joking/sarcasm aside, it makes perfect sense.

When I lived in Sugar Land, I wasn't the only resident I knew who drove to the one in Gulfton to get things you just can't get at HEB.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:43 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,858,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westhou View Post
There must be a demand for it or else they wouldn't be building one there. I don't see the harm. Sugar Land will continue to be one of the most desirable suburbs to live in because of the good schools and beautiful homes as well as abundant shopping.
They're not building it, just taking over the old Gerland's by Sugar Creek.

I agree on the rest.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:25 PM

632 posts, read 1,181,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy4life View Post
Billy Gibbs shops there, so it must be good.....

It attracts the less desirables to put it lightly.
You bet it does! That's why Fiestas are located in low-income areas with a majority of illegals and welfare users/abusers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Now it's Sugar Land: Fiesta Mart planning Sugar Land store | Prime Property | a Chron.com blog

-Gone will be the days when you could shop without having some guy named Paco trying to shove this culture down your throat.

-Gone will be the days when you could park and read your grocery list without having three dudes ask you if you need a roof fixed.

-First Colony will become "Colonia Una" and New Territory will become "Estas pinches casas alla".

And forget about Texans moving to Sugar Land. All Dynamo, all the time.
This. Sugar Land is spiraling down towards becoming another dump. Guess The Woodlands is the last haven left.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:29 PM

2,945 posts, read 4,999,861 times
Fiesta's not ghetto depending on the area.

The one off 45 and Airline is straight up ghetto though. I remember when it wasn't in the mid 90s. But that whole area's went downhill since around 2000. Airline Skating Rink use to be the sh** in the 90s.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:42 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,250,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRage View Post
You bet it does! That's why Fiestas are located in low-income areas with a majority of illegals and welfare users/abusers.

This. Sugar Land is spiraling down towards becoming another dump. Guess The Woodlands is the last haven left.
I'm not familiar with Fiestas, so I can't comment on it. The actual location of this proposed store seems to be at far NE Sugar Land, along a highway feeder, close to Stafford.

Sugar Land most certainly does not seem like a dump, especially with the prices the houses are going for these days. It seems like the nicest area in the Houston metro that is affordable to the non-wealthy with a passable commute. Maybe the Woodlands is nicer, I don't know, but it's too far away.

Sugar Land seems a lot more upscale than it was 5 years ago. Sure, it's diverse, but I don't think that's a bad thing at all. It's no more diverse than similar nice suburban areas in the L.A./San Fran suburbs, and much more affordable.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:07 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,029,155 times
It's a Fiesta..........Hispanics (of all income levels - wealthy from Mexico, illegal from Mexico and born and schooled in the USA and living middle american lifestyle) live all over Houston, if you don't like shopping with Hispanics - Houston probably isn't the city for you.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:17 PM

1,106 posts, read 2,661,066 times
I hope this is a joke because it sounds like the mark of your typical ignorant bigot on this forum.

I shop at three Fiestas rather regularly (the one on 14th, the one on N. Shepherd, and the one on Airline) and have never been accosted by anyone for any reason which is a HUGE improvement to me over the people trying to sell all sorts of crap outside of the Signature Kroger on 11th. Certainly there are no day-laborers or anything in the parking lots.

No one has ever tried to shove any type of culture down my throat at Fiesta. No one has ever bothered me there at all, and although I am Hispanic, the Mexican community here assumes I am white because of my appearance. No one tries to speak Spanish to me unless it is a worker whose assistance I need and they don't have a great command of English yet.

The produce is sometimes half the cost of what it would be at Kroger or Randall's and there is such a wide variety of it...especially compared to the neighborhood HEB...and it's all coming from the same places. The food they serve inside is cheap, fresh, and delicious (barbacoa, pupusas, chiles rellenos...and they have daily specials with REAL food on a sizable plate lunch for only about $4) and their international selection is quite impressive for your average neighborhood grocery store, including Latin American stuff of all varieties, African, Middle Eastern, and Indian.

I think that only a complete idiot would say that Fiesta attracts "undesirables". Seriously...what the hell? They build these things after research and studies that tell them that a location would be good for the demographic of the area. Sugarland makes tons of sense because it is about the only suburb that isn't chock-full of sheltered, ignorant dumbasses and is actually diverse.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:26 PM

63 posts, read 134,107 times
We often drive about 15 min or more to the other side of Katy to go to Fiesta. It has great sea food and few other items we can't find at HEB.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston