Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 04:54 PM

492 posts, read 791,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
What is your problem? We are talking about Downtown Houston not the entire city of Houston. Get it now?
Ok, how does this equate to "there is nothing to do in downtown Houston"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2013, 06:28 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,452,629 times
Wow you can't be this clueless and looking for a battle at the same time....it's not going to happen.

Have a good time entertaining yourself in "dead" DT Houston at the few watering holes left open after everything closes down in the evening according to post #10

Old 03-03-2013, 08:45 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,151,553 times
Quote:
Wow you can't be this clueless and looking for a battle at the same time....it's not going to happen.

Have a good time entertaining yourself in "dead" DT Houston at the few watering holes left open after everything closes down in the evening according to post #10
yeaah you won a internet battle with a person you have never meet.. How exciting is your life !!

He like DT you dont you think its dead he does not..

Old 03-03-2013, 10:28 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
yeaah you won a internet battle with a person you have never meet.. How exciting is your life !!

He like DT you dont you think its dead he does not..
Pretty darn exciting living in the Bay Area with 2 science degrees and a motorcycle!

He don't, she don't, we don't, I do but we don't and she don't have a clue... Giddy Up and Yippie Yi Ya!

Old 03-03-2013, 11:47 PM

848 posts, read 2,128,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
You should visit the other cities. Patios aren't that big of a deal.
I've been to most of the "other cities." Patios are a big deal to me (and they are quite popular in Houston judging how packed they get outside).

Old 03-04-2013, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
I've been to most of the "other cities." Patios are a big deal to me (and they are quite popular in Houston judging how packed they get outside).
They are very popular in most cities...just forget the naysayers and the narrow minds in this thread

It is clear that the naysayers and haters don't get out much...oh well it's certainly not our problem.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiatoChina View Post
How does that equate to "there is nothing to do in Houston"?
Well, there are folks out there who like to point out what other cities have that Houston doesn't. I have already pointed out this thing called "context." Sometimes it IS about what Houston has and other cities do not have, downtown or what.

Some like to dish that out, how downtown Houston is "dead" (which it is not). Just because it is not Times Square or even Sundance Square (Ft. Worth) doesn't mean it's "dead." People still do go hang out in niche bars throughout downtown Houston after 5pm. It is not like the 80s or mid-90s when there were only one or two bars and one club.

Observe how Midtown Houston lost some luster when Washington Ave started happening around 2008 or so. Now the action is swinging back to Midtown to a good degree (Washington Ave west of Durham is still packed with clubs/bars and pedestrians).

Houston is never stale that way. Scenes shift around and the infrastructure is there. Some of the main action could easily go back to Main St in downtown again.

San Diego will always emphasize Gas Lamp or Hillcrest, Austin will always showcase 6th St, Memphis with Beale St...always predictable, same sidewalks.

Anal Urbanists get too hung up on "density" (or city blocks that all look too similar from city to city). I much prefer character and diversity of spacing/streetscapes/structures which Houston has in spades. The haters only look at the strip centers. The observant notice the striking contrast between White Oak St. in the Heights and Morningside in Rice Village, two substantial bar crawls among many in Houston.

And as far as strip centers? As long as they offer plenty of spots like the ones on Fountainview/Westheimer, that's just another option for me. It is great to eat at those excellent restaurants there and then walk to Cafe Europe's or Dandanah's patio's for dessert or a coffee. I can easily have just as much fun in that corner...but Anal Urbanists don't know how to have fun unless they can calculate the size of a sidewalk first. Houston has such a great spread of energy from the Inner Loop to the outer...so much to do and check out!

Last edited by worldlyman; 03-04-2013 at 12:18 AM..

Old 03-04-2013, 12:11 AM

Quote:
They are very popular in most cities...just forget the naysayers and the narrow minds in this thread

It is clear that the naysayers and haters don't get out much...oh well it's certainly not our problem.
It's quite evident these Anal Urbanist types don't know how to have fun unless the sidewalks are measured wide enough and the storefronts are a certain length from such sidewalks. Let's not mention a small lot here and gas station there in-between spots absolutely scare them.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:49 AM

1,473 posts, read 2,151,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
It's quite evident these Anal Urbanist types don't know how to have fun unless the sidewalks are measured wide enough and the storefronts are a certain length from such sidewalks. Let's not mention a small lot here and gas station there in-between spots absolutely scare them.
Thats my point I listen to all these cutlural experts about this and that. So when I ask what do you in city X its the same crap they do in Houston..lol

Bar
Club
Movie
Parks

clap ,clap how mind blowing

Old 03-04-2013, 08:37 AM

391 posts, read 425,216 times
OP - downtown Houston is not what you're looking for. After 5-6 pm on weekdays and on weekends there is very little life there. It's a business district with some big ticket entertainment venues that people drive to. Not a place where people live.

However, there are several vibrant areas near downtown that fit your description, so don't rule Houston out entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston