Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 06:26 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj11801180 View Post
We have one geologist in the office.
That's what I did for many years. Now I have a consulting firm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 06:32 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,258,187 times
B.A. in geography. I've worked in three major insurance companies over 18 years, ranging from litigation, claims, and underwriting management. We have lots of geographers, historians, philosophers and creative writers. LOL

Old 02-13-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Geology is a science degree, not a liberal arts degree.

I received a degree in one of the liberal arts, but I knew I would need to get a master's in order to get a good paying job. In a lot of cases, it would be better to get a vocational certification than to stop with a bachelor's in liberal arts.
Au Contraire. That is why I said a liberal arts degree included a lot. It is very broad. Perhaps the OP should have been more specific.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_arts_education

Quote:
In modern times liberal arts is a term which can be interpreted in different ways. It can refer to certain areas of literature, languages, philosophy, history, mathematics, psychology, and science.

Mathematics, science, arts, and language can all be considered part of the liberal arts. Some subsections of the liberal arts are trivium—the verbal arts: logic, grammar, and rhetoric; and quadrivium—the numerical arts: arithmetic, geometry, music, and astronomy. Analyzing and interpreting information is also studied, traditionally earned over four years of full-time study, the student earned either a Bachelor of Arts degree or a Bachelor of Science degree; on completing undergraduate study..
Academic areas that can be associated with the term liberal arts include:

Great Books
History
Languages
Linguistics
Literature
Mathematics
Music
Philosophy
Political science
Psychology
Religious studies
Science
Sociology
Social Science
Theater
Also:

From http://www.kent.edu/geology/careers/whatcanido.cfm

Quote:
Geology degrees are excellent liberal arts degrees that provide a firm foundation in problem solving and critical thinking. Almost fifteen percent of individuals with geology degrees are employed as administrators and managers in fields other than Geology. This number increases significantly when you consider the number of individuals employed in professional fields such as a Engineering, Architecture, and Law, or in sales and service related fields.

So...there you go.

Last edited by PanTerra; 02-13-2013 at 06:51 PM..

Old 02-13-2013, 07:47 PM

410 posts, read 1,495,150 times
I received my BA in Sociology 10 years ago. I felt like I was stuck in a specific pay range therefore decided to go back to school for my Master's in Social Work. I'll be finished in a couple of semesters and I will have better and more opportunities for advancement and different employment options. The money will be better as well.

Old 02-13-2013, 08:49 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Au Contraire. That is why I said a liberal arts degree included a lot. It is very broad. Perhaps the OP should have been more specific.

From Liberal arts education - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also:

From What can I do with a Geology degree?

So...there you go.

Ditto. My husband and I went to a liberal arts college and both obtained B.A. degrees in geology. He works as a geologist; I am a freelance writer.

Old 02-13-2013, 10:18 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Any pastor that gets a theology degree has a "Bachelor in Arts"

Old 02-14-2013, 07:53 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,443,557 times
I have a geography degree and I do GIS. But GIS is a dead end unless you're a software engineer-- there is no such thing as a "GIS analyst", only a technician. The jobs with that title that pay more are really for developers.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:12 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post

From Liberal arts education - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also:

From What can I do with a Geology degree?

So...there you go.
That list encompasses pretty much anything you can get a degree in though, including math and science. You might be technically correct, but I don't think that broad usage is how the term "liberal arts degree" is generally used. I am aware of the common usage of "liberal arts education" in terms of the American higher education system in which American college students have to take coursework in a wide range of disciplines. But "liberal arts education" is a different usage than "liberal arts degree" which, as I said, typically does not include degrees in math or science. Most people think of a degree in something like History, Philosophy, English, Sociology, Political Science, etc. as "liberal arts" while considering math and science to be outside that classification.

Maybe some people use the two interchangeably, but that has not been my experience in conversations with people in my personal life and in the working world.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:20 AM

914 posts, read 1,832,919 times
BA in English then I went to law school.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
That list encompasses pretty much anything you can get a degree in though, including math and science.
Exactly.

Quote:
You might be technically correct, but I don't think that broad usage is how the term "liberal arts degree" is generally used. I am aware of the common usage of "liberal arts education" in terms of the American higher education system in which American college students have to take coursework in a wide range of disciplines. But "liberal arts education" is a different usage than "liberal arts degree" which, as I said, typically does not include degrees in math or science. Most people think of a degree in something like History, Philosophy, English, Sociology, Political Science, etc. as "liberal arts" while considering math and science to be outside that classification.

Maybe some people use the two interchangeably, but that has not been my experience in conversations with people in my personal life and in the working world.
Don't know what to tell you. Liberal Arts institutions don't seem to agree with you. It's the type of education by definition, not necessarily the subject matter. This is how it is treated in academia and the working world. I can't say anything about your personal experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston