Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 09:39 PM

195 posts, read 284,917 times

Advertisements

Wouldn't it just be better to restrict on-street parking, and require permits for residential street parking? It just seems that letting restaurant and bar owners determine how much parking they need would work much better. A bar in Midtown or Montrose might not need any parking, and still get enough customers walking/biking/bus. Yet a bar in the suburbs would need more parking. Im starting to get annoyed with all the pointless laws the City is passing. First that stupid feeding the homeless law, and now this. I thought Houston was the city of small local government. Guess not anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 06:21 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,310,773 times
Default Not surprising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by apm193 View Post
Wouldn't it just be better to restrict on-street parking, and require permits for residential street parking? It just seems that letting restaurant and bar owners determine how much parking they need would work much better. A bar in Midtown or Montrose might not need any parking, and still get enough customers walking/biking/bus. Yet a bar in the suburbs would need more parking. Im starting to get annoyed with all the pointless laws the City is passing. First that stupid feeding the homeless law, and now this. I thought Houston was the city of small local government. Guess not anymore.
As Houston gets more "Blue", you will see even more "stupid" laws. Again, the free spirited Liberal mentality of 'Live and Let Live' only applies if you think like, or agree with them, else you are out of order and laws need to be made to do what is best for you since you don't know any better and you need to be saved from yourself.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:20 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,990,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Then I shall complain about the lack of good public transportation that creates this situation.

That's another one we better fix, and quick. I meet a lot of transfers in my profession and the main complaint from those who come from good public transit towns is that not only is Houston lacking, the populace is extremely anti-public transportation.
This, more than anything, is what can cripple Houston. Every major city has a vast public transportation system. I had the pleasure of being on the Katy during rush hour, and the tollway that they claimed would not get backed up once the freeway was built is as backed up as the freeway. There were times when cars on the freeway were moving faster than the tollway. Short sighted planning. Should have been rail out to the grand parkway and five lanes of freeway each way. I go to UH, and I so wish that University Line was built, because I could take trips to the Galleria, or the Sprint shop, or go eat, etc., without having toget into my car and drive. My accounting teacher is from the Northeast, and on the first day of class, she ha e her life story and began complaining about the transit options in Houston and how she had to learn how to drive when she moved down here a couple of years ago. How much easier would it be to go out and get a few drinks, knowing you don't have to worry about a drive home and not need a designated driver? Why do we need more spaces at bars?

And the unincorporated areas are a completely different beast. The MUDs and county need to start a mass sidewalk building and landscaping program for those areas.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:02 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,733,428 times
We don't need more parking lots. We have some of the biggest and longest parking lots on the face of the earth. I'll name a few to start off: I-10, I-45, Highway 59.........need any more places to park?

Old 02-02-2013, 03:09 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,108,491 times
plenty of parking here! ive been in plenty of large cities and parking is not something this city lacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: